**Easiest Duck boat blind to build**

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

**Easiest Duck boat blind to build**

Postby wood duck wacker » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:07 pm

I was interested in building a duck boat blind this offseason and i was wondering if anyone had any plans or designs that are easy yet effective? Maybe a pop up blind or scissors blind? Something that me and a friend can both hunt out of. I was thinking about using fast grass for the blind. I have a 14 foot jon boat. anyones designs or help would be appreciated. Thanks
wood duck wacker
hunter

Re: **Easiest Duck boat blind to build**

Postby Ichabod97 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:57 pm

download the powerpoint from the link in my signature. it is a How To powerpoint on how we built a modified scissor blind last season on a 1436 and a 1236 jon boat. Good luck and hope it helps.

Plus, search this section. There are tons and i mean tons of threads about building duck blinds for boats in here.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby gcs » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:50 pm

Go over to the Mud Buddy site and look at the shaggy blind, has some pics and diagrams of the construction, pretty much like Cabelas Northern Flight blind.
Then go get some 3/4" conduit and make one up for under a hundred bucks which includes the mats or netting.
gcs
hunter

Postby astrobud311 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:13 pm

Go with the scissor blind, really easy to build, you can get all the hardware at home depot or any hardware store, and they look and work great.
Ryan
Waterfowl Mafia
Virginia Duck Junkies Field Staff
Virginia Beach, VA
Serving In The Greatest NAVY In The World
astrobud311
hunter

Postby Mudhole » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:24 pm

Sissors blind are cheap and easy to build. Fast grass works but it aint the best choice as you caint really roll it up when not in use! I put my blind on the boat just before teal season, and dont remove till the end of the season! Also have a step by step in my sig if ya want to take a look at that....
________Mudhole________
Waterfowl Population Control
Building a boat blind:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=67602
Paintin your boat:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=146292
Mudhole
hunter

Postby wood duck wacker » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:36 pm

Is the conduit really easy to bend? How else could you connect the pieces if you had too? I think i am going to go with the scissors blind that pops up. any more advice on how to make it successful?
wood duck wacker
hunter

Postby deltacottonboy12 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:15 pm

Bending is very easy and much stronger than those 90 degree pre bent pieces.
http://www.camostencil.com contact me and get the Duck Hunting Chat discount on your order!

Fool me once, Strike one. Fool me twice, strike three.. Micheal Scott
deltacottonboy12
DHC Sponsor

Postby wood duck wacker » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:44 am

so once it is up... how do you get it to stay? pin? rope? i will be running the blind 12 feet. will it bend or be weak in the middle?
wood duck wacker
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:57 am

use a pin on each end to keep it up in position. and as long as you re-enforce the middle, where the two pieces connect, there should be no sagging. and the conduit bends easy with a pipe bender. all of this is in that ppt, but keep the questions coming and we will help you out bro.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby carolinagreenhead » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:18 am

Check the links in my signature. The bottom link is a scissor blind I built last year for my 1232. See if it helps you.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:14 am

carolinagreenhead wrote:Check the links in my signature. The bottom link is a scissor blind I built last year for my 1232. See if it helps you.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
+1! I was waiting for carolina to post up. He built a nice scissor blind on his boat last season! Lots of good pics and construction tips.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby assateague » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:15 am

wood duck wacker wrote:Is the conduit really easy to bend? How else could you connect the pieces if you had too? I think i am going to go with the scissors blind that pops up. any more advice on how to make it successful?

Find an electrician you're friends with. They will have a conduit bender in their work truck, Just a green piece of pipe with an "opened up" v on top. Don't go buy one, or your budget will go out the window.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:22 am

A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Mudhole » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:38 am

Mine is build on a 16 foot boat and don't have any problems with sagging! Check out the step by step I have in my signature, goes from start to finish!
________Mudhole________
Waterfowl Population Control
Building a boat blind:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=67602
Paintin your boat:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=146292
Mudhole
hunter

Postby wood duck wacker » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:25 am

so whats the best way to reinforce the conduit? it only comes in about 10 feet i believe will i have to connect the two pieces? wont it be flimsy in where it's connected?
wood duck wacker
hunter

Postby gcs » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:47 am

Use a section of 1/2" conduit inside, maybe 30" or so, and bolt through.
You can also rent a conduit bender from Home depot, or... if you grease the guys there they may bend them for you when you buy the conduit.
Just don't go on a Saturday :biggrin:
gcs
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:06 pm

wood duck wacker wrote:so whats the best way to reinforce the conduit? it only comes in about 10 feet i believe will i have to connect the two pieces? wont it be flimsy in where it's connected?

Use 3/4 conduit throughout and put 1/2 inch inside it. You can either use a conduit coupler or weld it back together. I welded mine.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby assateague » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:31 pm

gcs wrote:Use a section of 1/2" conduit inside, maybe 30" or so, and bolt through.
You can also rent a conduit bender from Home depot, or... if you grease the guys there they may bend them for you when you buy the conduit.
Just don't go on a Saturday :biggrin:

If they're big jerks about it, just buy the thing, take it home and bend the conduit, then return it and get your money back. Tell em "it didn't work" :lol3:
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby wood duck wacker » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:38 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for your input. If you have any other advise that you think would make it work better feel free to share your opinion.
wood duck wacker
hunter

Postby deltacottonboy12 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:19 pm

You cant have them bend it at the store. You'll needs to get it home and get your measurements dead on. I tweaked mine 4-5 times to get the best fit. I bought the bender and wrapped my conduit in cloth so it would not scratch the bender and took it back when I was done.

You can use 1/2 inside the 3/4s and drill holes through both and bolt them together to create a very strong joint. DO NOT use the elbow joints. Bend your pipes and connect them on a straight spot..
http://www.camostencil.com contact me and get the Duck Hunting Chat discount on your order!

deltacottonboy12
DHC Sponsor

Postby wood duck wacker » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:30 pm

So when my frame is complete and i am ready to attach my fast grass what should i attach it too? anyone have any ideas or things that have worked for you? I don't need a wind protector or waterproofing just some sort of net??? Do you wrap it so its tight around the frame or let it lay loose? I know you use zip ties but i need to know what works best to zip tie it too. Thanks :yes:
wood duck wacker
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:23 am

wood duck wacker wrote:So when my frame is complete and i am ready to attach my fast grass what should i attach it too? anyone have any ideas or things that have worked for you? I don't need a wind protector or waterproofing just some sort of net??? Do you wrap it so its tight around the frame or let it lay loose? I know you use zip ties but i need to know what works best to zip tie it too. Thanks :yes:

Attach it to the frame. One thing I did not do and wished I did was drill holes in the frame and run your zip ties through the holes. This will keep it from turning on you as you raise and lower the frame. Don't drill a lot of holes, just a few every so often.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby reconner » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:52 am

A quick thought about bending conduit - The rental center near me charges $6 per day to rent a 0.75" bender
reconner
hunter

Postby deltacottonboy12 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:08 am

reconner wrote:A quick thought about bending conduit - The rental center near me charges $6 per day to rent a 0.75" bender

Perfect. Best way to go.. Make sure you have some practice pieces. Bending is easy but you need a little practice. There is a lot of information on Google about measuring and bending metal.. Check it out.

deltacottonboy12
DHC Sponsor

Postby carolinagreenhead » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:53 pm

deltacottonboy12 wrote:
reconner wrote:A quick thought about bending conduit - The rental center near me charges $6 per day to rent a 0.75" bender

Perfect. Best way to go.. Make sure you have some practice pieces. Bending is easy but you need a little practice. There is a lot of information on Google about measuring and bending metal.. Check it out.

REMEMBER...with a 3/4 inch bender you need to be 6 inches back to get the bend in the right place. He's right, use a test piece before you use some good pieces.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds