I'm thinking about going LAYOUT next year.

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

I'm thinking about going LAYOUT next year.

Postby ACEBLDRS » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:06 pm

I have 3 days of this season left and i am already making projects for next season. What an idiot i am.

I think i have figured out a way of taking advantage of some great potential hunting. I need a layout boat. I searched the different makers of them this morning and saw stuff i liked and some stuff i didn't.

I tried to pull up some old threads on the subject that might answer my Q's, but nothing really did. So hence the new Layout boat thread.

From looking at the manufactured boats i really liked the low pro of the UFO. The water i will be hunting in is very shallow, so i like the 5" or less draw.

I think i might have to build my own. I have a buddy that has done it, but wanted some of your guys opinions. I would love to buy one, but had some questions on them.

Which brands would work best for:

Mounting a trolling motor to it. I think the UFO is out on that one.

Holding and Concielling a dog! my buddy has to go along with me.

Most of them that i saw can handle about the same amount of lb's. 350 to 400 max. So i will have to lose a little weight if i want to bring along the 12 doz dekes it will take. :hammering:

I read where I 870 built one and would love some any advice he has, sounds like he has done a lot of hunting from a layout.

Also sounds like ISHOOTDIVERS is pretty keyed in on layouts and has experiance in many different brands and homemades.

Any advice or suggestions is needed. Please hurry, i only have 9 more months till the season starts.

josh
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby sioutdoors » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:29 pm

typicaly a lay out boat (ufo style) needs a tender boat to put it out and to set up deks. also depends on what kind of boat you already own, if you dont, buy or make one with a motor mount and get one of those tow behind decoy sleds. Dont know alot about it but hope this helps.
belly up feet kicking
http://sihunters.blogspot.com/
sioutdoors
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:15 pm

We are in the same boat. I recently was given a layout/sneak boat. I am new and gonnna be playing with it over the summer. My project is to make my own diver deoys to hunt with.

YOu may also want to look at mightylayoutboys.com

Good luck and keep me up to date on what you find. Maybe we can help each other out.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:43 am

I have an MLB Classic......fits me super and I am comfortable hours on end....although I am assuming you are alot bigger and the Classic will be too small.....of course this is just a layout boat and not propelled or room for a dog...........You may want to look at a sneakboat such as a Chesapeake (I have one of those), a Carsten or the MLB Taylor, because a boat like that will carry decoys, gear and dog with no issues (although not 12 doz!!!) and handle at a min a 5hp outboard. No boat I know will efficiently carry that number of decoys unless a tender.

A tow behind could be a fatboy or an otter.......check Momarsh. I guess the best source for commercial links is through TheDuckHuntersBoatPage.

Lastly....you could always make a Brant or Scaup.........they are very low profile similar to the sneakboats....handle rough seas...track well and have the ability to mount up to a 40hp. Cost to make (just materials) is about $3k using 'budget' construction. Another makeable true layout is using a foam core with 6oz fiberglass.....cost for a 12 footer would be about $300.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ACEBLDRS » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:25 am

Thanks DUKHTR, you answered a lot of my questions. I figured that the true layout boats couldn't handle the dog or the motor. I only need about 2hp though, so nothing to big. And i do need to bring out my own dekes. I could pull some of them behind me in another little boat.

One more question that i have. I will be going after puddler ducks mainly. Is a sneak boat going to hide itself in the water and can i conceil myself well enough.

My fear is that the puddlers are going to circle the spread a couple of time and be able to look strait down on me. Where as the divers that are traditionally hunted from layouts just buzz low over the water never comming over the top of the boat until they meet their end.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby gsphunter » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:59 am

ACE, have you checked out 4 Rivers boats. They have a transom that will hold up to a 3h.p. outboard. The biggest one they make retails for about $900 I think.

It has a dog platform on the front and there would be room for 2 guys probably depending on weight.

http://www.fourriverslayoutboats.com/Large%20boat.htm

[/img]
gsphunter
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:04 am

I like those alot, but think they might stick out of the water too much.

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby gsphunter » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:42 pm

Yeah I guess they would if you're wanting to hunt with it in open water.
gsphunter
hunter

Check out the FAT BOY DP by MoMarsh...

Postby Dennison Webb » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:16 am

Ace --

Do yerself a favor and check out the MoMarsh Fat Boy DP. I got one at the beginning of the season this year and love it! Plus the folks there were very supportive and continued through the entire process. It is dry boat even in some chop. Granted it is a layout so I do not plan to cross Palmico Sound anytime soon....I hunted several different areas with it this year marsh to open water sound and was more than satisfied. I do not think it would be as sea worthy as say, a Barneget Bay Sneak Box, but I do think for the price you would be hard pressed to find a better buy - boat with no options $899. As far as weight and capacity - I have a stout 1+ year old lab - "Woody" 80 lbs and, like you, also like putting out a ton of dekes out. Due the the obvious size you are limited and something must go (or make multiple trips). At full capacity I managed 7 dozen dekes, my gear for the day, hunting partner and relevant miscellaneous stuff (e.g., motor, spare gas, etc).. The slickest thing about the boat imo is the door system and color options. Like the UFO and other layouts, Momarsh has the option of puting on a grey get coat - this is the ticket for divers! The doors themselves are pretty slick and still pretty basic and simple. Doors also come in color options (e.g., grey, Max-4, etc...). They also have their own grass similar to the Avery Killer Weed or other stuff out there. They rig their boats with bungie systems with the grass for ease of trasport and building out and breaking down boat blinds. I made my own system here and was amazed at how stealth-like my boat was. They also have several other options - like a layout seat etc.... As far as motors you can put a 6 hp Mud Motor on either the Fat Boy DP or the 4 rivers. Sounds like with hunting the shallow water that you are this may be a good option. The transom on the Fat Boy is "removable" and the 4 rivers is integrated in the mold I believe. I think that is about it. I would like to build my own, however, at this point I do not have the resources available. If you have any other questions feel free to let me know.

Dennison
Dennison Webb
Newb

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:12 am

wow, dennison thanks, you gave me a lot of fine points on the fat boy.

johs

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Dog positioning...

Postby Dennison Webb » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:50 pm

Hey Ace --

I also neglected to emphasize dog placement in the Fat Boy. The way the current doors provide the ability to actually "section off" the rear of the boat providing for a "low profile" spot for your hunting buddy. Woody loved this spot and it gave him ample ability to mark birds and check out what was happening - and still maintain stealthness. I am not sure how tall you are but if you are 6' foot are under this is a great option. Also, the rear support bar for the doors served as an excellent rest for my layout chair. :thumbsup:

Dennison
Dennison Webb
Newb

Postby gsphunter » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:13 pm

Those are really nice looking boats. If I could come across one used for the right price, I would be all over that or a four rivers.
gsphunter
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds