Duck Boat Help

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Duck Boat Help

Postby TCUDuckHunter » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:22 am

Here's the deal...
Looking at going with an 18' center console boat and 35hp surface drive w/ reverse motor from Gator Tail. I'm new to the boating world, but I do know I want it to be versatile. What kind of advice do you all have for me? Also, Gator Tail looks to be the only company that offers remote steering, power tilt and trim, and reverse with their surface drives. Is this true?
TCUDuckHunter
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:28 pm

MudBuddy has power t&t and remote option, but no reverse at this time. Current motors will be retrofittable to reverse when it is introduced next year, but...
GatorTail is also a fine motor and it has it all now.
HaydenHunter
hunter

question

Postby TCUDuckHunter » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:46 am

can somebody explain the difference between square and round chimes? Not even sure what they are.
TCUDuckHunter
hunter

Postby pwhnts5 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:09 pm

Not so true, the PD was the first of offer remote steering and power trim in a production model, that was in 2003. The PD reverse can be used on a remote steering rig and they are working on an automatic unit to get FPR with steering rigs, that should be out mid year and will be retro to any PD unit ever sold. They will also have the 36 HP models out this summer.

As for square chine/round/tapered chines. The chine is how the sides or corners of the boats are build, either rounded over, a hard square break or a tapered break (meaning the corners are angled somewhat). Chines determine how a slick bottom boat will corner and how much water it will draft at the back. Example: A rounded chine boat will roll up on the rounded corners in a hard turn in water over a foot or so, so they do not slide in turns much, however the rounded surface does not displace as much water as a flat one would, so they sit lower in the water and need more speed to stay on step or plane. One the other hand a square chined boat will draft the least amount of water as the bottom is totally flat from side to side, it planes the easiest and at a slower speed, however it will slide in a hard turn, the more weight you add the less it slides, but it will slide in a full power turn. The tapered chine is in between, it will roll up on the side in corner and drafts less then a rounded, but more then a square. All three boats will slide when you run with the boat on the bottom at speed, a round chine can't roll up on the corners if it is running on the bottom in the mud.

General rule of thumb when selecting a hull design. If you need handling first and foremost and can't master driving a square chined boat, get a tapered or round (however the rounds are slower and don;t handle load as well). If you are running open shallow marsh and can learn to run at a slower speed in shallow and master how to handle a boat that will slide, get the square chined boat. One you learn to run a square you can do amazing things by working with the side, but if you let it get away from you, you will end up slide up on the bank or into with weeds.

Hope this helps you understand the chine issue better.

PW
Illowa Marine - Illowa Pro-Drive
Phowler Boat Company
Best Hull Warranty in the Bussiness
http://www.larrysillowamarine.com
http://www.phowlerboatcompany.com
email: larrys-prodrive@mchsi.com

Clinton, Iowa 52732 Ph: 563-242-8969
pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor

Postby TCUDuckHunter » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:20 am

Yeah thanks! That's a better explanation than I could have hoped for. Sounds to me that with my limited experience, I'm better off going with rounded or tapered chines. So will boat manufacturers carry all three types or will this choice determine which manufacturer I go with?
TCUDuckHunter
hunter

Postby pwhnts5 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:43 am

Go-Devil and Gator Trax make rounded and tapered only I believe, Pro-Drive makes tapered and square only. The Phatbuoy boats are square, but have a flat runner on each side that makes them run like a rounded or tapered chine boat, kinda best of both worlds from the ones I have run. South Duck Boats is making MM hulls now as well, but I have not seen or run one. Excel is another option, but I have heard mixed reviews on these, some seem to run great, others not so great. Best to try and contact folks who own each one you are interested in, talke to the builders and ask lots of questions. Look past the "sales" pitch and get to performance and ask each to back up their claims with customer referrences (not prostaff or dealers). If you do your homework, you will figure out which boat will best meet your needs. Down where you are there a fair number of these different hulls running, if you can, hook up with someone who own one and go for a ride.

PW
Illowa Marine - Illowa Pro-Drive
Phowler Boat Company
Best Hull Warranty in the Bussiness
http://www.larrysillowamarine.com
http://www.phowlerboatcompany.com
email: larrys-prodrive@mchsi.com

Clinton, Iowa 52732 Ph: 563-242-8969
pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor

re

Postby TCUDuckHunter » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:47 am

Thanks for the info. I'd really like to buy a package and have everything done at once, but I'm starting to realized this may not be the way to go about it.
TCUDuckHunter
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds