Best 25 HP tiller steering motor available today?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Best 25 HP tiller steering motor available today?

Postby Flyingbrass » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:12 pm

I'm thinking a 25 HP Yamaha 2 stroke since they now come with electric start. I got an evinrude but now I'm thinking Yamaha.
Flyingbrass
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:43 pm

Yamahas rock.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:37 pm

I really like yamaha. But for small motors I dont think you could go wrong with nissan. I know other people that have had them, but from first hand experience. I have one that is going on its sixth year and I have ran it like a go devil litterally on most trips and the only thing I have ever done is change plugs and water pump. Runs like a champ. But moreover I think any motor will do you right if you use it. It seems to me that motors that get run on a regular basis tend to cause less problems and last longer. Just my opinion.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Hillbilly0213 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:57 am

I have never run a Nissan,not sure of the gear shift location.

I own a Yamaha and have had problems with it getting choked down with weeds in shallow water...stopping alot to clean off the prop shaft housing.

If they still make them 25 Mercs are hard to beat, all of the controls are in your hand.

Just my .02
The only man to ever get all his work donr by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
Hillbilly0213
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:05 pm

I ran a 25 horse Yammie on my last boat for a few years and boy was that a great motor. When the temps made it down into the low teens I had a problem with keeping it running until it got warmed up, but other than that it was a tank. The motor I had had a carb for each cylinder and would flat out haul the mail. I run a 50 horse Mercury tiller now, but wouldn't hesistate to buy another 2 stroke Yammie.
ol' yeller
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds