Boat Transformation

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Boat Transformation

Postby sftull » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:49 am

I purchased this boat a few months ago and have really enjoyed spending time on the water. With duck season fast approaching, I have decided it time to transform it into a duck slaying machine. The spec are below.

Boat - '89 Fisher Marine 1648 SC
Motor - '89 Evinrude 40hp

When I got the boat home.
The boat was of course setup for fishing and not hunting.

I have already done some modifications to the boat...(no pics yet but I'll get some)
Removed the front live well to free up some space.
Added a front deck extension to house the batteries and some extra storage.
Added stereo and speakers.

Repainted the motor

Last night I started removing the interior to get ready to paint
I will be painting the boat with Duralux Aluminum Boat Paint Green...inside and out. I will be removing all of the carpet and having carpets made that I can snap in during fishing season and snap out during duck season. I know...I know... Hydro Turf but its expensive and with a little baby girl on the way, having carpets in the boat during the summers will be nice.
Last edited by sftull on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 9 times in total.
sftull
hunter

Re: Boat Transformation

Postby Duckin'Around » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:00 am

Ive got pretty much the same boat, only older. I wish mine looked anywhere near that good when I brought it home, she was in pretty rough shape to say the least. My boat is completely gutted as of right now, due to rotten wood and water logged foam under the flooring. Keep us posted as your work progresses!
Duckin'Around
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:36 am

lookin forward to pics once you get it finished. nice repaint job on the motor! Boat looks to be in good shape and should be an easy task making it into a duck killing machine. Good luck! :thumbsup:
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby carolinagreenhead » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:59 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby sftull » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:59 am

Last night I finished removing the sides and floor. It is unbelievable how many self driller's were in the floor....most of which were rusted to the point of no return. The foam under the floor was open cell and completely saturated but luckily Fisher Marine didn't use spray in foam, so it was easy to get out.

While I was spraying it out at the car wash, a mouse came out of one of the supports. I guess it had been living in there but now its a resident of the car wash.
sftull
hunter

Postby Duckin'Around » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:02 am

What form of closed cell foam are you going back in with? My foam too was completely saturated so I had to remove, but now I'm having hell locating any foam locally to replace it with.
Duckin'Around
hunter

Postby sftull » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:00 am

Duckin - if you go to HD or lowes the have 4'x8' foam board. Its Pink at HD and blue at lowes and its closed cell. I have had the blue in the front part of my boat for a few weeks now and was dry as a bone when I pulled it out. The open cell was completely saturated like I said earlier. The foam that came out was 1.75" thick and the foam board only comes in 1/4". 1/2" and 2", so I might have to stack it in there.
sftull
hunter

Postby Duckin'Around » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:39 am

Sftull-

I've already been to HD and Lowes both and like you said, they only had it in 1/2 and 3/4. I'd really hate to have to stack 3 or 4 pieces together, just seems like a lot of unneccesary work. The foam I pulled out was just shy of 2", but the ribs themselves are 2" high. I'm going to see if either store could special order me a couple sheets of 2", because all of the other local building supply stores look at me like I'm speaking in tongues and rolling on the floor when I ask for 2".
Duckin'Around
hunter

Postby sftull » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:11 am

Over the weekend I was able to get the boat sanded down, flipped over and sprayed. If anyone is looking to paint a boat, I would highly recommend looking into Duralux Boat Green paint (I have no affiliation with the company...just a happy customer). It needed to be thinned alot more than the instructions said but once we figured that out, it laid down very nicely. I snapped some before and after pics..

The boat looks like a brand new boat on the outside. I will be putting black factory decals back on the outside and for the inside, it will be all aluminum floor and sides covered with something.....just not sure what, at this point. (hydro turf hydro turf....I know).
sftull
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:50 am

It's looking good. It's amazing what a little paint will do. Keep bringing the pics. :thumbsup:
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby DucksDown07 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:56 pm

That paint looks great! Keep the pics coming :thumbsup:
Some people say, "if it flies, it dies"
I'm on record the "if it just sits there, it still dies"
-Phil Robertson, The Duck Commander
DucksDown07
hunter

Postby DUCoastie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:10 am

Looks real good, very similar to my build.
DUCoastie
hunter

Postby sftull » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:36 pm

DU....its alot like yours. The guy that sprayed my boat has one exactly like yours and we will be transforming his next. Instead of an outboard, he is thinking a jet drive or a long tail w/ a VW motor on it. Saw one at the Sparkleberry Swamp Duck Run this year....it was awesome.
sftull
hunter

Postby deltacottonboy12 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:18 am

DUCoastie wrote:Looks real good, very similar to my build.

i thought this was your build :oops:
http://www.camostencil.com contact me and get the Duck Hunting Chat discount on your order!

Fool me once, Strike one. Fool me twice, strike three.. Micheal Scott
deltacottonboy12
DHC Sponsor

Postby deltacottonboy12 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:34 am

what is the size of these boat? 16x48?
http://www.camostencil.com contact me and get the Duck Hunting Chat discount on your order!

deltacottonboy12
DHC Sponsor

Postby sftull » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:41 am

delta - yes, its a 1648.
sftull
hunter

Postby deltacottonboy12 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:40 am

sftull wrote:delta - yes, its a 1648.

Just realized I missed that in your introduction. My fault..

Keep us updated.. These bass tracker stripped down look like great boats. I am an open floorplan kinda guy and these are perfect.

deltacottonboy12
DHC Sponsor

Postby sftull » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:47 pm

no problem....happens to all of us.

I'm going to put the foam in the floor and cover it with aluminum sheet metal tonight. At my family's business, we have a 12' metal break for aluminum sheet metal. Over the weekend, we bent the metal for the floor and the sides and it looks good. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
sftull
hunter

Postby sftull » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:50 am

I put the foam in the floor and put the sheet metal down. The foam is about an 1/8" higher than the ribs but once you put the metal down and stand on it, it feels very smooth and solid. I still have two more sections to do in the floor and cover with metal, then I'll start on the sides. After I get it all together, we are going to paint it green to match the outside.
sftull
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:47 pm

looking good man! if you don't mind my asking, how many sheets of the foam did you have to use and how much did that run you?
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby sftull » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:52 pm

Just what you see in the pic was almost three sheets. Its something like $11 a sheet. I think I'll need one or two more.
sftull
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:17 pm

ok, thanks for the info. i'm in the process of getting my new rig ready for the season and i didn't see any foam under the floor boards. thought about drilling out the rivets and putting in foam before i end up putting hydroturf down.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby eze » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:04 pm

Ichabod97 wrote:ok, thanks for the info. i'm in the process of getting my new rig ready for the season and i didn't see any foam under the floor boards. thought about drilling out the rivets and putting in foam before i end up putting hydroturf down.

Does your boat not have any foam in it from the factory? Or why are you wanting to add foam? I thought my Phowler would need foam under the floor but just under the 2 back pods and the front deck have been plenty. She had a leak a few months ago and took on 2 foot of water in a few hours but was still riding high in the water.
eze
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:20 pm

well i had thought about it, but after talking with my buddy...there is no need. The main reason i had thought about it was that the two rear pods were removed, and an 18" hunt deck was added on. I can honestly say i had a blonde moment and didn't even consider the extra floatation the hunt deck added.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby astrobud311 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:32 pm

Don't use that blue or pink crap from lowes or HD. That is NOT closed cell marine grade foam, it will soak up water and hold it if you don't seal it!!!! I promise. You have to use a 2 part urethane closed cell foam, even the marine grade foam will eventually soak up water but that hardware store crap is gonna add alot of weight to your rig when it gets saturated. Not to mention if you hunt saltwater, it's gonna corrode that aluminum floor from the bottom up.
Ryan
Waterfowl Mafia
Virginia Duck Junkies Field Staff
Virginia Beach, VA
Serving In The Greatest NAVY In The World
astrobud311
hunter

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds