would you trade???

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

would you trade???

Postby blindretrieve » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:22 pm

I currently have a 17 ft. southern skimmer(skiff), with a suzuki 50 four stroke. I have been looking around and got an itch for a new boat...so my question is would you trade a fiberglass skiff for an aluminum boat. ex. war eagle, alumacraft. If so which aluminum boat would you chose and why?? thanks guys for your input.
My lab is smarter than your honor student
blindretrieve
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:52 pm

I would take an aluminum boat over fiberglass anyday. I pick up my new aluminum boat tomorrow. As for brand, I can't help you. Buddy just bought a new duck boat and went down in MO or AR to pick it up. Brought it home and put it in the water and geuss what it leaked. They had a beautiful looking weld going and musta got sidetracked and forgot to finish it. THey footed the bill to have it completed though.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby blindretrieve » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:11 pm

what r the benefits to aluminum?
My lab is smarter than your honor student
blindretrieve
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:41 pm

Lighter weight, easier to repair, and they can take an absolute beating. Every wonder why you see alot of aluminum boats used ny fishing guides up in Canada?

I will never own a fiberglass boat period.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:42 pm

I agree aluminium wins with me hands down. It all depends on what you will be using the boat for and where you will be using. Each hull design has its place.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:59 pm

Oh yeah, for a hull I would go for a modified V. Very versatile.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:40 pm

Heck yes. Aluminums are what i call river queens. They can run over stumps over and over and still be ok.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby VTduckman » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:26 pm

ive got an aluminum and it works great, mabey i should try blown a hole through it with my 835, cause nothin else has hurt it! :laughing:
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby TXskilletwacker » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:38 pm

just make sure that you get a welded one, not a riveted boat. the rivets tend to pop after a while.

i've ridden in some boats that were an equivelent to a crunched up beer can, but i'd much rather have an aluminuim over fiberglass... anyday!
if i could make a scented candle, i'd make call it... gunpowder in the sunrise! or wet dog, swamp mud and gun smoke!
TXskilletwacker
hunter

Postby ucaduckhunter » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:50 am

VTduckman wrote:ive got an aluminum and it works great, mabey i should try blown a hole through it with my 835, cause nothin else has hurt it! :laughing:

Not rocks, not stumps, not trees, nothing. Light, easy to work with, easy to fix, goes a lot of places that other boats can't. A guy I know has fiberglass boat. Can't go 1/3 of the places I can in my aluminum flatbottom.

Mines riveted. Been holding strong since 1994.
If you love something let it go. If it doesn't come back to you then hunt it down, kill it, and eat it.
ucaduckhunter
hunter

Postby NCduckSlayer » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:51 pm

blindretrieve, could you send me a pm and maybe some pictures of it. I dont have anything to trade but interested in something similar to it. I have 24 ft skiff i use at the coast of nc but its just gotten a little too big and want something a little smaller. thanks!
NCduckSlayer
hunter

Aluminum all the way

Postby gilla the goose killa » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:43 pm

I break ice with mine haven't punched a hole in it yet.

keep yur feet dry
Gilla
gilla the goose killa
hunter

Postby DivinDuckSlayer » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:28 pm

Defintely Aluminum... Everyone made very good points about them.. PLUS, The ducks like the noise it makes when you drop something heavy in them :thumbsdown:
DivinDuckSlayer
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds