Go Devil Surface Drive Boat and Go devil Engine

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Go Devil Surface Drive Boat and Go devil Engine

Postby huntingrdr » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:34 pm

Hello,

My dad wants to get a Go Devil Boat and Motor. We are looking at the 16x48 surface drive boat and the go devil 23 hp vanguard mud motor. I noticed that go devil makes surface drive motors too. Will the go devil mud motor work with the go devil surface drive boat instead of the go devil duck boat? I want a true mud boat but I rather have a mud motor over the surface drive motor. I would like a 16 48 or 16 52 but go devil only makes the 16 48 so I think I am going to have to go with this one. If I were to get the Go Devil 16x48 surface drive boat with the Go Devil 23 hp vanguard motor, will it still perform just as well on the surface drive boat as it would the go devil duck boat? Will it fit on the go devil surface drive boat? NEed some advice for this situation!

Thanks
huntingrdr
hunter

Postby UT Greenhead » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:58 pm

My first question would be why do you not want a surface drive? It's just a question, but they run faster, they run in more shallow areas, they will carry a much larger load, and they are much easier to drive.

As for your question, yes a regular long tail will work on a surface drive boat. And, they will build you any size boat you wish to buy. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

Go-Devil makes some of Pro-Drives boats for them, and I had a custom 18X52 PD boat built myself (Go-Devil built it).
“You can agree with me or you can be wrong!”
UT Greenhead
hunter

Postby huntingrdr » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:24 pm

Well, I called go devil and the man I as talking to described both of the motors. It seemed like the mud motor best describes the places that I will be hunting. HE said that the mud motor is better for muddy, more grassy marsh, stumps type places. And if you hav eto go slow and if you can not get on plane and your in a small area go with the mud motor. He sadi the surface drive motors are better for the open waters or where you can get on plane and less of a rough ride, for use in open water not too stumpy muddy or grassy.
huntingrdr
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:24 am

Not sure why he said that. A surface drive is better in EVERYONE of those situations. Get a surface drive boat and surface drive motor, and never look back.
--Hunters don't care about nature, but loony animal activists who've never been outside of San Francisco do??!!
--Hipocrisy: People against hunting, but who don't have a problem buying new condos built on previous wetland habitat.
---RIP-Woody-1/26/2010--
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds