homemade boat blinds

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Do you think store bought blinds work better or homemade ones?

store bought
7%
homemade
59%
combination of both
35%

Total votes : 46

homemade boat blinds

Postby DuckPlayer » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:51 am

What has everyone used for making their boat blinds? and what does everyone think is best for a frame (metal conduit, wood, pvc pipe,etc.)
Do u like natual vegitation for the covering or fake (plastic type stuff)?
What is your ideas on some good looking stuff you have seen?
If you know any pros or cons on items let me know!
Some days you do everything right and don,t bag a thing , Some days you do everything wrong and still get LUCKY !!!
DuckPlayer
Pro Hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:48 pm

I have a home made blind based on the scissor action of pop ups blinds. It follows the contour of my semi-V boat. I have in the front 2 flaps that open up and a flap in back where I sit and then the cockpit hole. It is covered with desert camo netting which I sprayed more golden color to match the cattails that I hunt. I can wrap up the netting with small stretchees, so it is compact when it is down for picking up, or setting uout decoys or going down the road. Being it is down inside my boat-it also does not act like a sail either when motoring or putting out or picking up decoys. It works for me.
But it was real headache to make it work just right--like 2 days of time in measuring, cutting, welding the alum sq tubing, etc.. Then I had to paint it yet. Word from the wise-use a tinted alum/galv metal primer first and then top coat it with reg camo paint. Otherwise the paint will chip off way too easily. All said and done--it cost as much as a the bought ones-about $650 when I was done-so do not be thinking you will be saving anyd $. And Alum prices are much higher now too.
But it it is customized for my personal needs.
I think every type of blind hwas pros and cons-the trick is finding the most pros to your situation.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:33 am

I think homemade blind work better because you can get better quality materials and make it EXACTLY how you want it instead of a blind that was made to fit as many boats as possible.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby deepstep » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:27 pm

Me and scoutdoorsman engineered this simple pop-up style blind from 3/4 emt and bimini brackets from west marine, very easy very effective took about 4 hours total , and had less than 150 bucks in it including the military camo, we just add natural vegetation from the spot e hunt, can be removed by myeslf in les thn 5 min with four screws...

deepstep
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:32 pm

Just what Deepstep said. :thumbsup: Ol-yeller thats right do it the way you want to and adapt things here and there and not be stuck with the factory specs.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Jaxonjarrett » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:07 pm

How tall is your blind? I have a 648 War Eagle and I am thinking about using your idea if you don"t mind...deerstep.
Jaxonjarrett
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds