Nav./head light combo

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Nav./head light combo

Postby cut_un » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:09 pm

Thinking about installing headlights on my Roughneck and just wondering if a kit is made/sold to attach and plug in using the existing wiring on the Nav. light system already on the front the boat. Seems like I have heard of one but have never seen it. :help: I now run using a spot but I think it would help a lot!
Also, anyone installed floor lighting or have suggestions on a type of lighting to install... for early morning -late evenings, getting our junk stowed away.... Been using a mini-mag light in my mouth :oops:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Re: Nav./head light combo

Postby Fowlercon » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:17 pm

cut_un wrote:Thinking about installing headlights on my Roughneck and just wondering if a kit is made/sold to attach and plug in using the existing wiring on the Nav. light system already on the front the boat. Seems like I have heard of one but have never seen it. :help: I now run using a spot but I think it would help a lot!
Also, anyone installed floor lighting or have suggestions on a type of lighting to install... for early morning -late evenings, getting our junk stowed away.... Been using a mini-mag light in my mouth :oops:

Unless you have money burnin a hole in your pocket I would stay away from the front mounted lights. Why bother? Plug a 2 million candle power in the cig adapter and you control the light where you need it.

As for floor lighting, go to Cabelas, they have rope lights in 6 ft. sections that fit right into the channel on the beam. I'm putting them in my Roughneck next year. Have seen them in action and 2 six footers on either side is perfect.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:10 am

I am running twin 130w off road lights on the front of my boat. It is actually the light kit you can buy from MudBuddy. Your wiring for nav lights is probably of too thin a gauge to run 55 to 130 watt off road lights. You would likely burn it up. If you go with a light kit you will have to rewire.

I use the light kit AND a handheld 1M candlepower handheld for side work. I like to go as fast as possible in the dark and having good illumination out front gives me peace of mind...lots of junk floating around out there.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:16 am

http://www.golight.com/products/golight.html

Go here and scroll down to the bottom of the page. This is the only thing I can find as far as what you described. Not the route I would go but if its what you want. I think its pretty pricey too, not sure though.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby blindretrieve » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:14 pm

somewhere I have seen the front nav. light and a spotlight in one....may be boatersworld
My lab is smarter than your honor student
blindretrieve
hunter

minimag?

Postby budsbud66 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:25 pm

The days of mini-mags in the mouth are gone, Buy a Energizer LED headlamp from anywhere for under 10$$ they are Cheap, and durable. ive had mine for 2 years and beat the crap out of it..... and if it breaks.. ill buy a nother for 10$ batteries last 500hrs...

As for front nav lights /w spotlight .. check cabelas, or bass pro if i were you id find some nice bright fog lights at walmart / autoparts store and mount them up front. save your self some money... who really needs aremote controlled spotlight??
budsbud66
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds