layout boat plans

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

layout boat plans

Postby duckmasterflash » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:06 pm

Does anybody have or no where to find layout boat plans. How much are Busick layout plans.
It's cold up here.
duckmasterflash
hunter

plans

Postby gilla the goose killa » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:08 pm

Paul's plans go for about $45.oo U.S. if I remember correctly.

keep yur feet dry,
Gilla
gilla the goose killa
hunter

Postby marcbme » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:21 am

www.butlerprojects.com <--Do a search on www.fieldandstream.com for two articles about building one of his duck boat or drift boat for free. (Personally I bought a set of his duck boat plans for 32 bucks and they are worth it) I chose this boat because it's the simplest of all the home builts I found, and I'm a first time builder)

www.sandypointboatworks.com/merrymeeting.html (nice sculling boat, but quite abit more complex to build then the stich and glue method)

www.duckboats.net/duckboat.htm

www.devlinboats.com (The most popular of the home built duck boats by far)

Try these, I have other links for simple canoes/piroges ect....
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Marsh Monster plans

Postby budsbud66 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:17 am

Hey, check out

http://www.marsh-monster.com/

Best plans ive found..
Ive talk to somepeople that have had some damn good layouts (mighty, ufo)

and they perfer there marshmonster over them.. because it has lowest profile in its class.. but can be made deeper for safety...

as far as im concerned, these are the only decent plans for a layout i have ever found..

- team_starcraft
budsbud66
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:54 pm

Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

try gator boat / safety of boat

Postby cableguy » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:38 pm

i know you are looking for a layout boat .try gator boat co. and you can build what they call the "duckhunter" its low but has a weight capacity of 1100 pounds. im going to build one shortly . some guys ,by the photos, build the boat up with blind ect, but im going to leave it the way it is and use it as a layout.you can also run a motor up to 20hp. i have looked at other layouts but the weight cap is what scares me. im 6'2" 280 without gear so it becomes a definate safety factor. i was told by a friend in the coast guard that the weight cap is the most that a craft could handle but ideal is to take that number of the weight cap shave 1/3 off and that what is safe for you and the boat. just thought id offer my 2cents
cableguy
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:04 pm

Cableguy I'm sorry but I disagree, some layout manufacturers get their boats certified, the one I own is certified up to 450 pounds for person and gear, I have seen the pictures from the Coast Gaurd testing of this boat filled with water and steel and still not going down.I also know a few builders that make homemades, one of which is a close friend, he test his boats in his pool, they filled it with water than put 3 kids on it, about 350 pounds and the boat wouldn't go down.Traditional layout gunning is definitly not for all but people shouldn't be scared away thinking it isn't safe.It is as safe as you make it, definitly quite dangerous, but still well worth it

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby cableguy » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:49 pm

i stand corrected. iguess im overcautious. last december i took a swim in ice water with my buddy 200' away ,who couldnt help ,on shore and almost didnt make it back in the boat. ended up with nerve damage in the toes and a hypothermea. so i always look now at all safety factors with extreme scrutiny. thank for the input.my wife rather me take up golf.but duck huntin is duckhuntin!!!
cableguy
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:13 pm

I agree with you 100%, we often face many times were we ask ourselves why?Yet we pursue, that's what seperates the men from the boys, I have gone through the ice in water that was 25+ feet, I couldn't get out myself, my brother dragged me to safety.I went home warmed up, went back out and stepped over the hole that gave me a chill to say the least.I like to think there is a fine line between knowledge but crazy and just plain stupid :yes:

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds