HUNTING/FISHING SETUP IN A MUD MOTOR BOAT?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

HUNTING/FISHING SETUP IN A MUD MOTOR BOAT?

Postby jackplate » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:12 pm

I AM WANTING TO BUY A 18 OR 20 FT SURFACE DRIVE BOAT AND MOTOR(GATOR TAIL OR PRO DRIVE) BUT THEY REALLY DONT SEEM TO BE SET UP FOR FISHING. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO FISH AND HUNT OUT OF IT AND STILL GET IN THE SHALLOW, STUMPY HOLES. I AM HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING ONE WITH A LIVEWELL OR A ROD BOX. I WANT A CENTER CONSOLE STEARING BOAT. IS THIS TYPE OF BOAT GOING TO BE TOO HEAVY FOR A SURFACE DRIVE ENGINE AND DOES ANYONE HAVE A SETUP SIMILAR, PICS? ALSO HOW IS THE SHALLOW DRIVE MOTOR OUT OF THE HOLE COMPAIRED TO A 2 STROKE? SHOULD I GO WITH TWO SEPERATE BOATS? THANKS
jackplate
hunter

Postby pwhnts5 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:23 am

I have rigged up five different boats for guys who do nothing but fish out them. Three were console set-ups with PD 27's and 32's You can get livewells and all other fishing accesories put into these boats. They still perform in the shallows great. I myself hunt and fish out of an 1848 PD boat with 32 PD tiller. I put on the trolling motor in the summer and drop in a portable livewell and off we go. I get to fish in the summer when the river is down and the ducks in the fall out of one rig.

PW
Illowa Marine - Illowa Pro-Drive
Phowler Boat Company
Best Hull Warranty in the Bussiness
http://www.larrysillowamarine.com
http://www.phowlerboatcompany.com
email: larrys-prodrive@mchsi.com

Clinton, Iowa 52732 Ph: 563-242-8969
pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor

Postby jackplate » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:39 pm

HAS ANYONE HERE PUT A SHORT TAIL ON A WAR EAGLE OR SIMILAR BOAT? HOW DID IT WORK?
jackplate
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:43 pm

I am currently running a 35 HP shorty on a 5 degree mod v boat. War Eagle is a 10 degree I believe. I can tell you that a mod v boat will run considerably slower, especially when loaded, vs a well designed flat/smooth bottom.

When in shallow water / mud the mod v is nowhere near the boat of a flat/smoothbottom boat. You get stuck a lot more. The culprit is the crimps and keel.

I am selling my mod v and my new flatbottom is on order.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby jackplate » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:38 pm

THANKS. THATS REAL HELPFUL. HOW IS THE SPEED ON YOUR SHORTY? IS IT QUICK TO GET UP ON STEP?
jackplate
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds