Setting up my first duck boat, seeking advice!

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Gas motor or electric trolling motor?

Gas
75%
Electric
13%
Stick with the paddles!
13%

Total votes : 8

Setting up my first duck boat, seeking advice!

Postby jmluds » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:21 pm

Hey everybody, I'm new to the site and this is my first post.

I am looking at purchasing and setting up my first duck boat. Right now I am looking at an Alumacraft 1236, 12' boat. my reason for choosing this boat is that we do a lot of our hunting in backwoods ponds and holes and I need a boat that we can drag and carry through woods, fields, cowpaths, etc. while still having enough room and weight capacity for 2 guys and equipment.

As far as propulsion, right now I am considering a Minn Kota 12V tiller style electric trolling motor. Does anybody use an electric on their boat right now? I realize that an electric motor and the battery to go along with it probably outweighs an equivelant small gas outboard. My main reasons for choosing it include, stealth (we often sneak into several of our holes early and notice that there are numerous birds on the water at sunrise), durability (I am assuming that an electric will tolerate weeds, stumps, and logs a little better than a gas motor), and I do like the fact that with a battery on board I could install lights which would help guiding the boat at night etc. Also, an electric is much cheaper that a gas motor.

I am looking for any opinions, recommendations, considerations, etc. as to any other boats, motors, or anything else that anybody has that has a little bit more experience has to say. Pretty much anything will be better than the little tin can row boat that we are using right now.

Thanks guys!
jmluds
Newb

Postby VTduckman » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:54 pm

it all depends on how far you must go.a elecric motor might cost less, but buying 80 dollar batteries each year adds up, and you lose speed and power quite considerably.if you want stealth paddle when you near your spot, or go slow, gass motors arent to loud when going slow.
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:08 pm

VTduckman wrote:, but buying 80 dollar batteries each year adds up

um ???
thats why they make rechargeable batteries... anyways we have both an electric motor and a gas one... for going across the river to our spot, a gas motor is nice cause you get there a lot faster... however for retrieving ducks, the electric is nice cause its easy... you dont have to worry about starting it or anything.. you just twist the knob and go... so unless you are traveling any distance... i would go with the electric.. and like you said they are cheaper if you're on a budget... then after you have some more money... buy a gas one...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby on duck call » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:20 pm

People run out of juice with the batteries and have to paddle back quite often. Cold weather will effect batteries and do loose their rechargability over time. If your going to carry this boat around you better go lite. I went through this and it doesn't take long to feel like a dumb ass dragging a heavy boat around. A two man inflatible boat weighs 35 lbs and holds 500 lbs. They run 300.00 but its worth every penny and paddle easy. They withstand a lot with the tough material they use.
on duck call
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:54 pm

A push pole may also be an answer.
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds