Boat Insurance

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Boat Insurance

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:55 pm

What kind of coverage do I need? I have a fishing boat now and my parents said I should have it insured. What place is cheapest? My renters insurance and truck insurance is through state farm. Any help would be ap;preciated.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Dogman » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:08 pm

I think you can get insurance through most car or homeowners insurance for a boat.
You can look into Boat US,they have a website and I believe they offer insurance as well towing like AAA does for cars.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

re

Postby TCUDuckHunter » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:54 am

I just got quoted by state farm the other day for a boat. For a brand new $15000 boat,motor,trailer package it runs 282 a year.
TCUDuckHunter
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:10 pm

I just bought a boat this weekend, It is a 1999 20' Duckworth with a 140 outboard jet and a 9.9 kicker. With the tandem axle trailor and everything I insured the boat for $18k. Full coverage insurance for me through my car company/house company insurance was under $200 a year.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:17 pm

Mine costs $62 a year for liability, and they covered it to the value of the boat in case someone w/o insurance hits it and totals it.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:00 am

As far as I know anything up to a 14' boat is covered by your homeowners. I would assume your renters insurance would cover it too. Now if something were to happen to it while you were towing wouldn't your auto insurance cover it? I would assume that anything over basic liabilty would also cover anything attached to the boat, since they have provisions for property damage. But if you're only worried about theft then ask what your renters insurance covers.
I would recommend a prop lock of some sort and some sort of lock on the cover. My Grandpa, after leaving the boat sitting in his yard for many years, had the cover and prop stolen off of his brand new Evinrude 30 horse. It was sitting where he had left it for all those years under a security light and they simply walked up popped the cover off and unbolted the prop. It's truly a shame that you have to lock everything up these days.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:23 pm

I got a 14' boat and it is not covered by homeowners. I know in Louisiana if you have a boat and it is not paid for you must have full coverage just like a car. But once the boat is paid for no insurance is required.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds