Triton Frontier Vs Lund Alaskan ??

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Triton Frontier Vs Lund Alaskan ??

Postby MrCamoClad » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:10 pm

I am in the market for a new Duck boat and was pretty sure I was going with the Lund Alaskan - but I happened upon the Triton website and noticed the New Triton Frontier.

These Tritons look more 'ducky' then a lund.

Does anyone on this site have one ???
What is the build quality ?
Do they compare with the quality of a Lund ?

If possible - how do they compare in price - I have recieved 2 quotes on the a Lund Alaskan 18 Tiller and would like to know how the Triton compares in price.

Thanks
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby Hillbilly0213 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:22 am

I know a couple of guys in SC that have had hull weld issues.

Lund has been doing it for years, the front half of the Alaskan is doubled, it is one tough boat. Well worth the money IMOP.
The only man to ever get all his work donr by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
Hillbilly0213
hunter

Postby MrCamoClad » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:17 am

Thanks Hillbilly - the more and more I think about it - looks like the Lund is the way to go. I am going to hit all the shows to check out as many boats as possible - but am leaning towards the Lund.
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:50 pm

I'd go with the Lund.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:38 pm

Lund's are nice boats don't get me wrong but I don't think they are worth it, I had 2 buddies have to send Lund's back that had only seen 2 seasons here on Erie.My other buddy's Lowes on the other hand :thumbsup: But Lowe doesn't make a deep-v bigger than 16' :thumbsdown: I'd go with a Lund over a Triton though
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby budsbud66 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:15 pm

If heard lunds are no good for ice breaking.. too light, and to thin gauge aluminum.. if you plan on breaking ice, look else where....
budsbud66
hunter

Postby Hillbilly0213 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:35 pm

Look at the G3 OFV170 T & C models double .80 bow, 22 gal built in gas tank,800 gph bilge pump, liive well side storage... big list of standards. And comes camoed. Rated up to 70 hp on a tiller, that boat should ride!

G3 also offers the Advantage warranty, ie life time hull warranty.

Neat looking boat, heavy duty to say the least.
The only man to ever get all his work donr by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
Hillbilly0213
hunter

Postby MrCamoClad » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:34 pm

Thanks Hillbilly - I saw one last year and I didnt really give it the good look over that it deserved. Im hoping the place still has it in stock and brings to our local hunting & Fishing show this weekend.

I alread have a 14 & 16 jon so this boat will serve as a seaduck rig and strper fishing rig - this is why I looking at the deep V's.

Thanks again.
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby MrCamoClad » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:12 am

Well - the Triton guys didnt bring a Frontier to the show and the G3 guys didnt have their 17 Outfitter - so its their loss as I went with an 06 18 Lund Alaskan Tiller.

The Lund guys where really nice and treated me with repect. Its funny how sales guys treat young couples when looking at boats. Many of the so called sales guys wouldnt give my wife and I the time of day - little did they know we were ready to buy a boat and all they had to do was treat me with respect.

The Lund guys worked with us and got a roller shorlandr trailer upgrade for a great price.
I plan on picking it up at the end of March - will post pics when I get it.

Just in time for the Spring Striper run - and PLENTY of time to get it ready of Duck Season !!!!! :mrgreen:
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby UT Greenhead » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:50 am

Sounds great Clad. You'll be happy with that boat. What size outboard are you putting on it?

UTG
“You can agree with me or you can be wrong!”
UT Greenhead
hunter

Postby MrCamoClad » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:17 pm

Right now - I'm going with a Suzuki 50 - Thats what we set the deal on - but I am going to talk to him in the next few days to see how much the 70 would be to upgrade.

I dont think I need that much HP - but in the long run - it maybe the way to go ??

The main reason I went with the 50 is weight - the 50 is 116 pounds lighter then the 70 - being a tiller and with me in the back - I figured I needed to stay away from the extra weight.
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:01 pm

I would definately not wory about the weight issue. Most boats are under rated for that purpose. The last thing you want to do is invest in a boat that you will not be happy with. I have seen too many times a person buy a "package" boat that is severly underpowered and they be very dissatisfied with it. I would definately go with the max horse power rating.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:05 pm

I looked at the boat, and I like it. Are you getting the camo one? There is no weight posted in the specs. Do you know the weight of the boat.??
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby UT Greenhead » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:19 am

MrCamoClad wrote:The main reason I went with the 50 is weight - the 50 is 116 pounds lighter then the 70 - being a tiller and with me in the back - I figured I needed to stay away from the extra weight.

Get the largest HP you can afford is my opinion (that the boat will handle). It's much cheaper to upgrade now than to upgrade later.

I would guess with an 18' boat the extra 116 lbs. wouldn't matter, and if it does you can always consider pods. What's the bottom floor width.....54" or 60"?

UTG
“You can agree with me or you can be wrong!”
UT Greenhead
hunter

Postby MrCamoClad » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:41 pm

I'm getting the Fall Marsh Camo - not the Wetlands. The wetlands looks good online and in the book - but when you see it in person I think it looks too yellow. I dont think it will blend in as much as the Fall Marsh will.

As for the floor - you know what - I didnt measure it - I forgot to bring my tape measure with me to the show. I checked the broucher and it dosent say either.

The dry weight is 860 pounds and the max HP is rated for 75 with Tiller. It has a 83" beam.

The thing I really liked about this years boat is the Alaskan has the IPS hull - it make for a really stable platform to hunt out of. I am really going to go after Seaducks this year - so this should make for a great stable rig.

I am going to call the dealer tomorrow and talk to him about the 60 or 70. If its around 1000 to upgrade Im going to do it. If not - the 50 will do.
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby vacuum6 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:39 am

i have owned 4 lunds over the years and i like them. i currently still have 2. i have had issues with the floor on a pro-V but we got through it. your biggest issue with breaking ice will be the lower unit abuse...throttle down !!! regarding horsepower, the rule of thumb is to power with at least 80% of the manufacturers rating. the performace is all relative to hp vs weight. you may or may not notice an extra 116 lbs. i have one of my lunds that is rated for a tiller 50 hp and i run a 3 cylinder 35 hp. with a whale tail and trim/tilt, i am able to trim some of the hull out of the water and it is fine. it is not a racer but what is an extra 5 minutes to the blind worth?? if your 50 hp suzuki is fuel injected with trim and tilt, i would stay there....unless they will upgrade for a dollar amount you feel is reasonable. i would love to have that rig !!!
vacuum6
hunter

Postby MrCamoClad » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:54 pm

Just got back from the Lund dealer. After discussing the main purpose of the boat and the estimated load - we went with the 70 Suzuki.

The upgrade was only 900 bucks (after the wifes haggling) so it was pretty much a no brainer.

UT - I measured the floor when I was there - it is 54' between the two storage boxes on each side. Each storage box is pretty big. The one one the starboard side is 9 ft loog - plenty of room for my guns and push poles etc...and in the summer - plenty of room for my 8 ft one piece Striper rods.

Cant wait till end of march !!!
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:05 pm

Be sure to post us some pics when you get it. :thumbsup:

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds