The start of my kayak blind - Updated 9-22-11

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

The start of my kayak blind - Updated 9-22-11

Postby TROB » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:06 pm

I used to work for a kayak shop in San Diego and ordered this boat a couple months ago before moving to Idaho. Looked like this (without the rudder) before: it's a Wilderness Systems Commander 120

i have seen a couple different options that people have used, but most of them involved weak anchor points and multiple pieces covering the boat. I wanted a 1-piece "frame" that is securely mounted, single door, flap doors for front and rear, and for it to be removable without much change to the original boat. Basically, I want to take it off the kayak at the end of season, roll it up, and store the blind like a sleeping bag.

Anyways, here is the beginning of the 1-piece "frame"

and here it is the next day after I finished the anchor points, cleaned up the trim, and added the seat pad.

For the camo, I'll be using all-terrain killerweed and Im pretty sure Ill be attaching it with heavy braided fishing line. The material I used for the base layer is tree netting and you're supposed to be able to use zip ties on it. But in my experience, zip ties crack in the sun and can break when brittle. Braided line will be a stronger connection for the killerweed.

Anyways, this is only about 15% done i would think, so try to envision what I've described and let me know if you have any input.

thanks
Last edited by TROB on Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Re: The start of my kayak blind

Postby Erich_870 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:08 pm

Looks like you’re off to a good start! :thumbsup:

I'm confused though about your use of the word "frame". It looks like you covered your kayak with burlap. Is there additional tubing or something under it?

Also, the last pic looks like you screwed the burlap to your kayak, is that the case?

One comment about your seat cushion, it looks very comfy, but beware that it will likely soak up a ton of water, unless it's made of closed cell foam.

Erich
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Weed Whacker Boat Motor Build
Erich_870
hunter

Postby TROB » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:17 pm

Erich_870 wrote:Looks like you’re off to a good start! :thumbsup:

I'm confused though about your use of the word "frame". It looks like you covered your kayak with burlap. Is there additional tubing or something under it?

Also, the last pic looks like you screwed the burlap to your kayak, is that the case?

One comment about your seat cushion, it looks very comfy, but beware that it will likely soak up a ton of water, unless it's made of closed cell foam.

Erich

That's why I used "frame" instead of frame. It is a type of sun screen that people make awnings out of I think. Its like tight knit netting and its more durable than other materials I think. I used the term, frame, to mean the base layer that is fastened securely to the kayak. It is the base to which all other pieces are connected.

Which part are you thinking I screwed up? I'm not taking offense to it, I just want to address your question accurately. If you mean the part behind the seat, those cuts are to allow the bungee straps to sit naturally and not pull up the material when raised up. It's securely fastened back there, it just doesn't look as clean as the front.

Also, the seat can be changed at any point. I'm going to try it out and adjust accordingly. For 15 bucks, I'm taking a shot.

Thanks
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby Erich_870 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:06 pm

TROB wrote:That's why I used "frame" instead of frame. It is a type of sun screen that people make awnings out of I think. Its like tight knit netting and its more durable than other materials I think. I used the term, frame, to mean the base layer that is fastened securely to the kayak. It is the base to which all other pieces are connected.

Which part are you thinking I screwed up? I'm not taking offense to it, I just want to address your question accurately. If you mean the part behind the seat, those cuts are to allow the bungee straps to sit naturally and not pull up the material when raised up. It's securely fastened back there, it just doesn't look as clean as the front.

Also, the seat can be changed at any point. I'm going to try it out and adjust accordingly. For 15 bucks, I'm taking a shot.

Thanks

I understand what you meant about the frame now. A light weight skin to attach grass to is a great idea.

Also, I don't say you screwed up your boat, I asked if you physically screwed that material to your boat, lol!

Erich
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Weed Whacker Boat Motor Build
Erich_870
hunter

Postby TROB » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:50 pm

Erich_870 wrote:
TROB wrote:That's why I used "frame" instead of frame. It is a type of sun screen that people make awnings out of I think. Its like tight knit netting and its more durable than other materials I think. I used the term, frame, to mean the base layer that is fastened securely to the kayak. It is the base to which all other pieces are connected.

Thanks

I understand what you meant about the frame now. A light weight skin to attach grass to is a great idea.

Also, I don't say you screwed up your boat, I asked if you physically screwed that material to your boat, lol!

Erich

Yea, I knew what you meant about the material. I appreciate the feedback Erich.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby BB1 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:05 am

How much paddling do you plan on doing with this boat?

Gun rack?

Looks like you are making good progress, be sure to keep posting updates.
BB1
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:02 am

TROB wrote:Also, the seat can be changed at any point. I'm going to try it out and adjust accordingly. For 15 bucks, I'm taking a shot.

I wouldn't use that cushion as a seat. It will soak up the water. I just bought a cushion from Dicks meant for a tree stand. It is closed cell foam so it won't absorb any water. Best part is that is was only $19.99. I'll post a pic when I get home. Return that lawn furniture cushion and get a proper one that will last.

Other than that, great start!
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:25 am

My buddy and I have the Commanders also. Here is mine made from Cordura. We are using the seat for sitting and some olf Hard core sleeping bag back rests for the lay down

From the top

The front is clipped to the dashboard shown here. I am going to remove the tool board or turn it toward the front.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TROB » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:23 pm

Rad C-n-C. Looks good. The commander is a great boat. lots of storage space, stable, comfortable.

BB1 wrote:How much paddling do you plan on doing with this boat?

Gun rack?

Looks like you are making good progress, be sure to keep posting updates.

The boat is what Wilderness Systems call a hybrid. It has a seat area on that spot behind where the pad is now. So, paddling long distances shouldn't be a problem. Is that what you meant? This video shows what I mean.
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=xcH2MftdwRQ

Gun rack is not necessary, but I'll probably have a spot inside the boat or in the slidetrax system

Thanks!
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:19 am

Here is a picture of the cushion that I was talking about. You can use a painted 1x12 board for the backrest.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10871976&cp=4406646.4413993.4414427.4414468
Attachments
thermaseat.jpeg
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby muskrat24 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:56 pm

Nice kayak TROB. Vincetpa does that seat have a ridged back on it?
muskrat24
hunter

Postby Fowlmouth421 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:12 pm

Those kayaks and camo jobs are awesome. I am jealous for sure
Fowlmouth421
hunter

Re: Re: The start of my kayak blind

Postby vincentpa » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:11 pm

muskrat24 wrote:Nice kayak TROB. Vincetpa does that seat have a ridged back on it?

No. I use a 1x12 board 30" long that is painted.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
vincentpa
hunter

Postby TROB » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:02 am

thanks vincent. that looks better
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:09 am

Do you guys shoot out of your kayak's or just use them to retrieve your birds? Are you beaching or anchoring them? What considerations do you have to take into account when you are gunning out of a kayak. I have looked into kayaks but have always been concerned about rolling them when firing.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:26 am

If you are sitting or laying down there is no way you are going to flip a commander, like pictured here. I can sit on the upper seat shown below in front of TROB's crate. I can turn sideways and hang my legs off while fishing. The pontoon type hull is amazingly stable. The Native Watercraft Ultimate is the same as the commander but does not have the upper seat.

We shoot out of our sitting and from lay down and pop up too shoot. These work better for hunting than a tradition sit on top as your gear can't fall out. The Sit on top's are stable too, just these hybrids seem more fitted to hunting. I stand up in my Commander to view rapids to see where the best shoot is. :yes: It's that stable.

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gkreps » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:14 pm

Hwy Rob, how about posting up the pictures you took on opening morning of me in my Commander all brushed up ??
gkreps
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:57 am

I only took one and you where moving around.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gkreps » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:27 pm

Wow, that Avery killer weed looks just like the real stuff !! :biggrin:
gkreps
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:59 am

Yea, but the blind bag (lead weight) sticks out a little . :biggrin:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TROB » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:03 pm

Alright, got a lot of work done to the blind this last week. My sister has about 5 hours of prep & sewing/reinforcement into the cover. A few guys have asked about kayak rigging, so im going to explain what mine has, so people might be able to pick and choose what they like or don't like. Its triple (or more) stitched in every spot and cross stitched around all the edges...its solid. Ill give a little explanation of the photos as they come. I had her sew hollow nylon webbing (2x as thick) along the edges of all 3 doors, and I also added nylon webbing along the the entire "inside perimeter" of the cover where all the bolts connect the blind to the kayak. This keeps it from stretching, ripping, fraying, etc. Gives it a very strong structure.

the main opening hinges.

shows how they are tied into the border of the door. Each hinge is two pieces of nylon sandwiched onto the door and has a ton of stitching in each one.

Underneath the hinges.

front opening - The hinges on the front and rear doors are just like the others. 2 pieces of nylon sandwiched onto the door & cover.

rear opening

showing the reinforcement nylon on the part that connects to the kayak. Its like this on the entire cover wherever it is attached to the kayak, and it is one solid piece of nylon all the way around.

i had originally thought the seat that comes with the kayak wouldnt work, but after talking with my buddy, he said it will work great if I push it forward and loosen it completely. I thought i tried that before i took it out, but i guess i didn't. The seat is on rails and can move back and forth.

This is just showing that I can make a slip cover for the top of the seat and attach killerweed to help blend in.

Was at Sportsmans Warehouse and saw a short shaft Minn Kota 30 for about $100, cant go wrong with that price brand new. I was thinking they were more expensive. Also got a 30"extension for the handle

I still need to figure out how to secure the front/rear doors when closed. I was thinking 2 small magnets on the corners, but also thought about bungee and lashing hooks that attach to eyelets. Anyone have other ideas? Also, i need to cut the opening for my head, but wanted to get it attached before i did that. With the motor, i have to register the thing, but thats ok. With all the crap we carry to the blind, i think it will be easier not to paddle.....also, ill be riding in style :lol3:
Last edited by TROB on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Re: The start of my kayak blind - Updated 9-10-11

Postby TROB » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:17 am

no comments, good or bad?

whatever, I like it :lol3:
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:24 am

How are you attaching the killer weed, sewing it on directly?

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TROB » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:22 am

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:How are you attaching the killer weed, sewing it on directly?

Yea, i plan on it. well, it will be more like tying it on directly.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:25 pm

I know nothing about Kayak hunting, but it looks like you have this planned well. I like it, and can't wait to see it in action.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds