The start of my kayak blind - Updated 9-22-11

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: The start of my kayak blind - Updated 9-10-11

Postby Erich_870 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:29 pm

TROB wrote:no comments, good or bad?

whatever, I like it :lol3:

Looks great! You're very fortunate to have a sister who sews so well and is willing to put in all of those hours!

How are you going to tie on your killer weed? Poke small holes in your cover and thread a zip tie or something through?

Erich
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Weed Whacker Boat Motor Build
Erich_870
hunter

Postby TROB » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks. Yea, the sister is always willing to help.
It's kind of like a woven screen so tying on the killerweed will be easy. The stuff is made to take zip ties, but I'm using braided line to resist cracking from the sun/cold.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby TROB » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:54 pm

It's comin' along nicely! Figured out some buckles for the doors and got those attached a couple days ago. Started attaching the camo yesterday and today. man, it takes a TON of time to mix the colors and get them attached to the blind. also takes a LOT of blind material to get good coverage. The whole blind weighs only 8-10lbs MAX which is exactly how I wanted it. Anyways, here is the rig so far. I still have to finish the stern and fill in the gaps, but you get the idea. The camo is about 80% done in this pic (excuse the cell phone pic)

Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:43 am

It looks .. purple? I assume the color on your phone is off? I would roll it up and store it and it will compress and find holes as the raffia compresses. It should be fine, just look at it from 30 yards not 3 feet. When you think it looks like crap at 3' step back to 30 yards and you're amazed how camo it still is.

You need to find a place to hang, or lay that out when it rains. That 8 pounds of raffia will weigh 25 when it rains and take 2 day to dry. I use my raffia on clothes pins and have a clothes line on the garage doors for them to hang and dry.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Re: The start of my kayak blind - Updated 9-22-11

Postby TROB » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:54 am

yea, its the crappy cell phone camera that has the color a bit off. The grass isn't quite as thick as it appears in the picture. Ill take a pic with my normal camera if i remember today.

Thanks for the tip on stepping back a ways to check it out.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:51 am

I just pointing out the step back as we over analize (spelling on purpose :tongue: ) things as hunters. I hunted with my jon boat which has a net cover for the bow with raffia tied to it. It got all compressed and I was Railing "This looks like crap. Look at the holes, I got to thicken this up!" I get home and set up the blind to dry. Looking out my office window at 40 yards I said "Man, the blind looks perfect from here and this is how a bird would see it." We tend to over examine our gear most times. :yes:

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ZachYak » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:32 pm

Sorry to dig up an old thread. Just wanted to comment on what an awesome job you did! Any updates as of now?

Also, help me understand how you have the frame temporarily mounted to the 'yak... Is the nylon fitting inside the SlideTrax?
ZachYak
Newb

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:34 am

It looks to me like TROB screwed his to the boat. The ones my buddy and I did are slip on and use webbing and clips

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TROB » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:12 pm

ZachYak wrote:Sorry to dig up an old thread. Just wanted to comment on what an awesome job you did! Any updates as of now?

Also, help me understand how you have the frame temporarily mounted to the 'yak... Is the nylon fitting inside the SlideTrax?

sorry, didn't see this question.

I used 1/2" bolts with washers all around the border. Check out the pics and you can see what I mean. All the holes are on the top, so they don't have to be water proof. Ive used it about 5 times and I always do well. It's a lot of fun. Here's a couple updated pictures to finish off this thread.

Early season
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Nice, looks like it works.

We where just hunting in out Commander 120's today. Almost landed a flock of geese, but the shotguns went off and a couple dies and the rest left. :hammer: I said "I want to get a picture of them together and grassed." I forgot all about it. :rolleyes: :smile:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Chief Shootemduck » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:44 am

How'd you mount the minn kota and how hard is it to reach the trolling motor from the cockpit?
Whether you think you can or you can't....You're right.
Chief Shootemduck
hunter

Postby TROB » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:03 pm

The commander has a flat stern that is made for a trolling motor. I had a handle extender that Minn Kota makes.

I got rid of the motor though, I can paddle way faster and i hated carrying all that crap on the boat (mainly the battery). Way too heavy, it got unsafe in high winds because it lowered the stern too much.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:28 pm

I still got to say, excellent choice in a boat! :smile:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HAMMERDOWN22 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:46 pm

Looks good thanks for posting the pics got some more ideas about how to camo my creek boat.
Psalm 42:1 As the deer pants for the water brooks, So pants my soul for You, O God.
HAMMERDOWN22
Newb

Postby BDK » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:18 pm

how did you attach the grass to the cover ? im doing the same thing for my aquapod but iv used the plastic garden fence cut to shape of boat .
BDK
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:30 am

I hunt out of a layout boat (AquaPod) and can tell you that seat will probably not be satisfactory; when you slide down far enough to get hidden, your tailbone will be on the floor of the boat. About 15 minutes of that and your tailbone will be on fire. Take a one-foot square of 2" thick dense foam to put under your butt.
You'll thank me.

Just noticed that this thread is from last year. How'd your project work out??
mudpack
hunter

Postby TROB » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:15 pm

mudpack wrote:

I hunt out of a layout boat (AquaPod) and can tell you that seat will probably not be satisfactory; when you slide down far enough to get hidden, your tailbone will be on the floor of the boat. About 15 minutes of that and your tailbone will be on fire. Take a one-foot square of 2" thick dense foam to put under your butt.
You'll thank me.

Just noticed that this thread is from last year. How'd your project work out??

Its not too bad. Im still a young buck, so can lay on rocks and be comfy :lol3: Plus, I usually back it into some brush, so Im not really using it like a typical layout blind. Im going to try some open water tomorrow though, and Ill have to anchor up with zero brush to hide in, so Ill see how it works out.

BDK wrote:how did you attach the grass to the cover ? im doing the same thing for my aquapod but iv used the plastic garden fence cut to shape of boat .

I used braided fishing line (i have a ton of it) because it wont crack like zip ties would in the sun and cold. I also put a drop of "marine goop" on each connection so it wont ever loosen up or come undone. I like the soft materials I used because I think they will hold up to the cold and age better. Im sure the stuff youre using is fine though. I have no proven facts, just theories :lol3:

Ive only used it once this year. Worked well :wink:

Last edited by TROB on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby alabcalledMaverick » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:24 pm

Great looking rig. I'm in the market for a solo hunt watercraft and that commander looks like it's a perfect match. I see that the max wgt capacity is 450lbs. Have you guys had a dog in the rear storage area yet?
alabcalledMaverick
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:39 am

Wilderness Hunter on KayakBassFishing just put a floor in the back of his for his dog. You might want to follow that one. A dog getting in and out is going to bring a lot of water into a kayak. We usually fetch our own birds with the kayak when hunting. Not saying you can't take a dog.

Here was my dog last year in the back of the Commander for a play trip. It kind of makes the back of the boat heavy while floating as this one is 100 pounds. I kind of shifted myself more forward.

My Cordura blind raffia covered and ready to use as a sitting or laydown blind.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TROB » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:43 pm

The only problem with the commander is that with weight in the rear, you can see that it will easily take on water in choppy conditions.

That little issue is the only thing I don't like about the open design. Its not a big deal, i just pick my days to use it. I actually pointed another forum member towards the 'Malibu Kayaks' Stealth 12. Its got a 600lb weight capacity and is a sit-on-top design that is self bailing (for ocean use). A similar boat made by Wilderness Systems (who manufacturers the Commander) is the Ride 135. its a very similar tri-hull design and is super stable. It's also a SOT design with a high weight capacity.

For an "all-weather" yak, I would recommend a Sit-on-top kayak. For someone like me, who has other options for bad weather (friend's boat), I like the commander because it can carry a lot of gear and your stuff can't fall out as easily. It seems like it would be a little more sheltered i..... but like I said, it's limited on weather capability.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:21 am

Another great kayak is the Old Town Predator K140, although they don't make them any more. I came within 2 hours of getting one off craiglist but someone got there before me.

Here is a guy from the kayak site using it for hunting. Notice he does not keep the dog on the boat. several retrieves and you have a kayak with the entire bottom covered in water.
http://www.kayakbassfishing.com/kbfBB3/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=20067

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Previous

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds