Interior lights

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Interior lights

Postby Fowlercon » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:38 pm

Guys I'm havin a problem, possibly a brain fart, hopefully you can help me out. I bought some rope lights to put in my gunwales, got em' all installed/wired in and I cant get them to turn off. Somehow I've bypassed the toggle switch that controls the NAV lights. They only shut off if I disconnect from the battery. I want to be able to turn the rope lights on and off with my toggle switch that controls the navigation lights. Any particular color I should be paying attention to? There are a whole heap of wires on the underside of my console. The toggle switch in questions controls the front and rear lights. Any thoughts?
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby KpHonknImRloadn » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:18 pm

first take a look at the back of the switch, and see what color wires are there. but since it is a big bundle of wire, why not just put your own switch in for the ropelights, that would be alot easier.
KpHonknImRloadn
hunter

Postby Champdog21 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:52 pm

I agree with Kphonkin, just look at the back of the toggle switch and find it there. You have got to splice into the nav. lights between the switch and i THINK it is the front light. It sounds like you may have spliced into a wire that runs straight to the battery.. I think there is two ways to fix it. I think the rope lights can be wired to come on when you throw the switch either way ( but not both ways ). if it is a three position switch.[/i]
Champdog21
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:46 am

KpHonknImRloadn wrote:first take a look at the back of the switch, and see what color wires are there. but since it is a big bundle of wire, why not just put your own switch in for the ropelights, that would be alot easier.

Thats kinda what I m leanin to, just putting in a separate switch. The current switch is three posistion; up for front, off in the middle, and down for front and rear. I think if I buy a new switch I can just piggy back off the "incoming" from the other nav switch.
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby KpHonknImRloadn » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:32 pm

yeah that sounds like it would work if you just took power from the nav light switch then switched it to turn the lights on and off. Is that what you are saying? Also what kind of ropelights are they, how much were they? I have been thinking about doing something like this in mine. It is kind of hard to deal with decoys and hold a flashlight all at the same time.
KpHonknImRloadn
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:21 pm

KpHonknImRloadn wrote:yeah that sounds like it would work if you just took power from the nav light switch then switched it to turn the lights on and off. Is that what you are saying? Also what kind of ropelights are they, how much were they? I have been thinking about doing something like this in mine. It is kind of hard to deal with decoys and hold a flashlight all at the same time.

I bought and installed a separate toggle today..................works like a champ. The lights are from Cabelas, after shipping, $32.00 for two six foot sections. I highly endorse them. After looking at it on in a pitch black dark garage I can see that I could have gotten away with just one section. But now that I've done the modifications I'm glad I got 2.
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds