Worth Converting To A Big Water Rig?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Postby ssnfa » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:39 pm

Knowing that I am a duck hunter, my brother in law called yesterday wanting to know if I wanted an old boat his grandpa had. After he described it to me I really doubted I could use it in any way for duck hunting, but then I went and looked at it and the wheels started turning.

I am thinking I could remove the roof, instal a floor and sidewalls, and have a perfect deep v big water rig. I would probably also remove the console and use it as a tiller steer only.

I would probably only use it a couple times a year since 90% of my hunting is in shallow rivers and marshes, but it is free and the fix up could be done fairly cheap. The only unknown is if I can get the motor running and if not what size would push it decently.

Someone has already put hours into straigtining the body and sanding it smooth, and gutting the interior.

Take a look at it and tell me what you think.

ssnfa
hunter

Re: Worth Converting To A Big Water Rig?

Postby O2Fsh » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:11 pm

I'd do it in a heartbeat. I can't believe that anything beats something you've made for yourself, by yourself. I can see a great hunting boat in the future.

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby Redbeard » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:11 pm

It'll definitely be unique for sure. No way to utilize or convert that cabin cover to a blind?
"Jedge, y' know, suh, us all has ouh good an' ouh bad days wid de ducks. Yes, my lawdy, us sho' do. Dey's times whin de ducks flies all ovah ev'ything an' ev'ybody, an' still us kain't none o' us hit nuthin'- lak me an' you wuz' dis mawnin' "
Redbeard
Super Trooper

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:30 pm

Do it!

BUT, I would plan on replacing that outboard. Unless that thing runs like factory new with just some MINOR tune-ups its not worth risking your life over. If it ever died out on open water when you really needed it you would give every cent you have to not be in that position
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby ssnfa » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:45 pm

shoot-n-goose wrote:BUT, I would plan on replacing that outboard. Unless that thing runs like factory new with just some MINOR tune-ups its not worth risking your life over.

Probably excellent advice... From what I can find the 30hp was only made in 1957 and 1963. I am guessing this is the 63 version.
ssnfa
hunter

Postby canderso » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:09 am

I think the boat is beautiful! I am sure it can be converted to a duck boat and would serve you quite well, but it sure would be neat to see it done with new paint and all. Have fun. That will hopefully be a neat project to work on.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:13 am

You might want a 50 HP motor anyway
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby gcs » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:27 am

Those kinds of boat /blinds are done all the time.
If your interested...FIRST, make sure you get the registration so you can legally transfer it in your name.
Then, make sure the floor is good, if it's rotten, it's a fairly big job to replace.. correctly. :biggrin: Make SURE the transom is still good, grab the lower unit and lift it up and down, if the transom wobbles or seems soft, run, actually do this first!!!! :thumbsup:

IF everything is sound, proceed with your blind idea...and get a good motor.
These old rigs are a dime a dozen, you have no idea how many of these I've condemned as derelicts and brought to the dumps in my old job.

Trust me, it's not worth sinking too much money in these things if they're not sound to begin with.
gcs
hunter

Postby ssnfa » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:24 am

gcs wrote:Then, make sure the floor is good, if it's rotten, it's a fairly big job to replace.. correctly. Make SURE the transom is still good, grab the lower unit and lift it up and down, if the transom wobbles or seems soft, run, actually do this first!!!!

Transom is all aluminum and gets its strentgh from about a 14" aluminum cage type wall and the floor has already been removed all the way down to the alumunum ribs like a jon boat. There is nothing still on this boat that is "rotable". It appears everything is steel or aluminum except for the engine and trailer parts.
ssnfa
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:19 pm

That cabin looks like a mighty fine place to shoot ducks from while staying dry and warm :thumbsup: ...or a good spot to nap!
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby ssnfa » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:28 am

The most important part of a layout set up fell in my lap yesterday... :grooving:

Came with 5 dozen diver dekes with clips, all the lines, anchors, flags, 45 extra clips & seat.

My goal is to hunt the above project boat in the OP as a tender with this layout in the 2012-2013 season.

PROJECT BIG WATER IS A GO!!!!!!!!!!

ssnfa
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:37 am

Think I saw that posted on Craigslist the other day... Maybe not though... But I do have some buddies from Danville, unfortunately none of them duck hunt much, they are all big deer and turkey hunters though...
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby ssnfa » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:14 pm

Finally was able to limp it home after this, my first update/repairs to the boat or trailer and the only ones I will do until next Spring. I plan to run a weld around it also.

ssnfa
hunter

Postby ssnfa » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:21 pm

Finally had an afternoon to myself to get started. Hoping to have her "lake" worthy by November.

Spent about 5 hours removing the "Cabin". She is now a 18' long and 7' wide tall sided deep V. Best part of this boat is that it is 100% aluminum. It has no wood at all, even the transom is all aluminum.

My last saws all blade broke as I was taking off the last piece of the cabin trim, so it is shown still hanging off the port side.

ssnfa
hunter

Postby pweisbrod » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Holy crap.... That thing is SWEET!! :hammer:

I will be following this for sure....
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Postby FOWLER2671 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:28 pm

Almost free Lund Alaskan!
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby rodandgun83 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:01 pm

IMO I would leave that top on for use as a dry box or shelter. Pop the windows out and cover with sheet metal and paint it and grass it. Good luck with the build! Im interested inhow it turns out.
rodandgun83
hunter

Postby ssnfa » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:33 pm

rodandgun83 wrote:IMO I would leave that top on for use as a dry box or shelter. Pop the windows out and cover with sheet metal and paint it and grass it. Good luck with the build! Im interested inhow it turns out.

The front space will be utulized for all the diver decoys and for a rack to hold the MLB across the boat. The roof just wasn't practical.

Plus if the hunter is getting cold & wet so should the tender!!! :thumbsup:
ssnfa
hunter

Postby fowlplayx » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:28 am

Hey I did the same thing and same style with my 18 foot, Il have more pics up soon here is a peek tho [album][/album]
Fowl play! All day!
fowlplayx
hunter

Postby bubba57 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:08 pm

That thing will be a Beast when ur done. Keep us posted.
THE PRIDE OF HASKELL COUNTY OKLA.unknown in other parts of the world
"FLY YOU LEAD CARRIN BASTARD" ( My dad, 1919/1997)
bubba57
hunter

Postby fowlplayx » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:08 pm

IMG952012032795182133.jpg
Fowl play! All day!
fowlplayx
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds