One Way To Grass A MOMarsh DP (Or Other Marsh Boat)

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

One Way To Grass A MOMarsh DP (Or Other Marsh Boat)

Postby ssnfa » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:32 am

Bodiac and I have had several PM's asking how we grassed or DP's, so we decided just to post a pictorial instead of send a dozen PM's. It is pretty self explanatory, but if you have any questions please feel free to post them up here instead of PM'ing us so everyone else can see the question/answer also.

We were 100% happy with our MOMarsh's and Ira is a super nice guy. It is amazing that being a full time Vet and the owner of two successful other companies (MOMarsh & Habitat Flats) he still has the time to talk to you on the phone or trade emails with you like your high school buddies... big +1 to Ira!

Hope you enjoy the build pics! This will be our first season with them, so combat pics will hopefully follow next month during early split!!

MOMarsh DP's as Picked Up in MO:

Laying the Foundation For the Netting. (Rubber Bungy Cords and ATV bungy netting)

Powedercoated Transom Motor Mount (We had this done, it comes in raw aluminum)

Breadbox for the Dog & Box later revised with pad on top of it. (to keep pups out of any water in the bottom of the boat)

Door Installation & Close Up of Bungy's Installed with SS Marine Hardware

Starting to Apply the Plastic Landscape Netting Fabric Which Will Act as Attachment Points For the Grass

Applying The Grass

Finished Products

ssnfa
hunter

Re: One Way To Grass A MOMarsh DP (Or Other Marsh Boat)

Postby Erich_870 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:26 am

Great pics! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Erich
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Weed Whacker Boat Motor Build
Erich_870
hunter

Postby jasonphoto01 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:28 pm

great job and great info!
jasonphoto01
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:10 pm

that's really great.

How did you attach the landscape netting to the boat? I mean, I see that it is under the bungies, but it looks like the fabric is also attached to the boat itself? If not, i'd be worried that it would deteriorate quickly as that stuff rips pretty easily, especially if the dog tries to climb on it.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby ssnfa » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:21 pm

wingnutty wrote:How did you attach the landscape netting to the boat? I mean, I see that it is under the bungies, but it looks like the fabric is also attached to the boat itself? If not, i'd be worried that it would deteriorate quickly as that stuff rips pretty easily, especially if the dog tries to climb on it.

Actually it goes over the bungies not under and then is attached to the bungies and to SS grommets via wire ties. Also the netting isn't the real thin stuff you might be thinking of, this stuff is more like fencing. Check out the close ups of us attaching the small grass bundles. The netting was actually pretty hard to even cut with wire cutters.

The one thing I think that would last the least amount of time if stored outside is the rubber on the bungies and then secondly the grass. However, I think letting them set outside for a month or two is vital to the "natural" look as well as a good natural mudding.

If stored inside I think they will last for several years in this condition and would only need touch up grass maybe every two or three years.

All wire tie tag ends were cut flush.
Last edited by ssnfa on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ssnfa
hunter

Postby ssnfa » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:27 pm

The third pic from the bottom are our boats after mine (left) has set outside for a month in the rain and sun and after they were both mudded.

The fourth from the bottom (with Meika the Marsg Dog) is my boat with no mudding but after setting out for a month.

The fifth pic from the bottom is bodiac's boat with fresh grass, never exposed to the weather and never mudded. My boat had the same colors his did before setting in the sun/rain. The sun/rain bleached all the color out of the grass.
ssnfa
hunter

Postby tjs011 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:45 pm

Awesome write up.. Thanks for posting!

BTW, the boats look great.
tjs011
hunter

Postby vette04915 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:10 pm

where you get your grass? and how long are your grass peice that you put on your boat?it looks like you used one zipties bunch
vette04915
hunter

Postby Bigroo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:54 am

Those look fantastic I want one so bad I can't stand it. Let us know how well they work in open water, I want to use one of these to run the river and hunt the creeks and backwaters off of the river and hunt the main river when everything else is frozen. Are you going to run trolling motors, outboards or mud motors?
Bigroo
hunter

Postby ssnfa » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:10 pm

vette04915 wrote:where you get your grass? and how long are your grass peice that you put on your boat?it looks like you used one zipties bunch

We used Avery and Cabelas Fall Flight grass. To be honest I think it is the exact same stuff. It is wrapped and package identically!!!
ssnfa
hunter

Postby ssnfa » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:10 pm

Bigroo wrote:Those look fantastic I want one so bad I can't stand it. Let us know how well they work in open water, I want to use one of these to run the river and hunt the creeks and backwaters off of the river and hunt the main river when everything else is frozen. Are you going to run trolling motors, outboards or mud motors?

Trolling motors this year and mud motors next year.
ssnfa
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:14 pm

Nice pictures.
pgquackstacker wrote:Maybe you guys can hunt together and touch barrels.

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
3legged_lab
hunter

Postby AustinPotter » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:33 pm

Lookin good! :thumbsup:
WHF Outdoors
2012-2013 Waterfowl Totals
Ducks: 14
Geese:1
AustinPotter
hunter

Postby FullandFuller » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:51 am

ssnfa wrote:
vette04915 wrote:where you get your grass? and how long are your grass peice that you put on your boat?it looks like you used one zipties bunch

We used Avery and Cabelas Fall Flight grass. To be honest I think it is the exact same stuff. It is wrapped and package identically!!!

How many pounds of raffia is that on each boat? I know the Cabelas comes in 2 lb packs, not sure about avery.
bmoy1920 wrote:LOVE Giada!! I would love to use my pass on her!

FullandFuller
hunter

Postby fireman1293 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:32 am

Those MoMarshes look good, would like to see a couple Swamp Ratt mud motors on them next year.
The cheapest place to buy rafia grass is http://www.jstern.com/

They sell to Cabela's, Hobby Lobby and Avery. I bought 28lbs and had it delivered for $150, plus you can choose a variety of colors.
fireman1293
hunter

Postby nutzforducks » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:59 am

how mush grass did it take to do one boat i just got a four rivers. thanks for the post
"Fear God, Love your neighbor, shoot ducks " Phil Robertson
nutzforducks
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:05 am

Nice job on those two boats. Let us know how the grassing job holds up over the season, and what (if anything) you would do different next time. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby loon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:35 am

Those boats look great how much raffia grass in LBS did you use per boat? I also like your trailer set up great job :clapping:
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby greatwhite » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:03 pm

If you don't mind me asking where did you get the landscape netting? I've been looking for some to do a similar project, but it is either really fragile or expensive. Thanks.
greatwhite
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:13 pm

I would also like to know where you got the landscape netteing. I just ordered a new Momarsh fatboy DP and want to get everything ready for when it gets delivered. I might get one or two hunts before the season ends. eGrant51
"To protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby Erie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:56 pm

Buy the landscape netting at any big box store. The last two momarshes I've grassed have been 30lbs each and probably another 2-5lbs throught each season touching up spots. Jstern prices just went up cause the secret is out :no:
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby 4riverman » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:58 pm

ErieCutEmOutfitters wrote:Buy the landscape netting at any big box store. The last two momarshes I've grassed have been 30lbs each and probably another 2-5lbs throught each season touching up spots. Jstern prices just went up cause the secret is out :no:

We just got in a shipment of some netting to sell. It is very durable product that will not rot or stretch. We have it on several boats now with great success. It holds it shape very well, not thin and wrinkled like the stuff Ace Hardware stores have. I will post some photos of it with more description for you all.

We will offer a kit with netting, eye hooks and mounting hardware and zip ties to secure netting to eye hooks and grass to netting. The kit will have enough to do most layout boats on the market. This way you do not have to worry about trying to find this part and that part, just order 1 kit and get everything you need, grass or Killer Weed will be sold separate but will be available.
Four Rivers Layout Boats
Odessa, MO
http://www.fourriverslayoutboats.com
email: sales@fourriverslayoutboats.com
Phone: 816-694-4955
4riverman
DHC Sponsor

Postby Erie » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:05 pm

I Live in Washington and have acess to lots of fishing net. Probably not practical for people that don't live near main fishing but fishing net is better than anything that will come in a kit or you could buy at a box store. 1" square fishing net is what we used on a portion of one of my boats and as it stands right now the fiberglass will rot before the netting is a problem. Do a search for fishing net in Seattle Washington and you'll get some good results.
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby ssnfa » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:56 pm

We used about 6 packages of grass per boat.

The hardware netting was bought at Menards, which is a big box harware store. It is plastic and will not stretch or rot.
ssnfa
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:06 am

Nice work Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds