Fuse Help

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Fuse Help

Postby Fowlercon » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:47 pm

My efforts to install rope lighting in my gunwales went without a hitch.................until I decided to install the switch "hot". Well, of course, one of the leads touched metal and a fuse goes POP. I'm embarrased to say that after an extensive search I honestly have no idea where the fuse or fuses are. I've got a 2001 Lowe Roughneck, side console. I can only assume that the fuses are in-line but if you could pinpoint me, it would save alot of time and electrical tape. Any thoughts?
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby KpHonknImRloadn » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:58 pm

First off to clarify a little more to the nav lights not work as well? If that is the case: My boat is a side console as well. On mine, up inside the console is a fuse block, and there is a big fuse block there. if that is not the case try back towards the battery more, there should be a fuse pretty close to the battery. Hopefully someone will come along with a boat that is similar.
KpHonknImRloadn
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:15 pm

KpHonknImRloadn wrote:First off to clarify a little more to the nav lights not work as well? If that is the case: My boat is a side console as well. On mine, up inside the console is a fuse block, and there is a big fuse block there. if that is not the case try back towards the battery more, there should be a fuse pretty close to the battery. Hopefully someone will come along with a boat that is similar.

Yeah, I blew every accessory item. I could only find one fuse, which is an in-line on a positive cable back near the motor. I must be missing something under the console.........I can't find a thing. If I remember I'll take a picture of it tonight and maybe you can point out something I'm missing. I can't imagine that there is only one fuse protecting all of my accessory items. I have two batteries and two wiring harneses. One battery for the motor and one battery for all accessories; trolling motor, nav lights, depth finder, bilge, aeriator...............nothing on the accessory pull works. I'm gonna change the fuse tonight and see what happens.
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby KpHonknImRloadn » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:30 pm

If you open up the fuse holder you will be able to tell whether or not it is blown. to me it sounds like that is the fuse, and that it controls all of them especially since all of those items dont work. otherwise if that is not the case take and follow your wire that goes towards the nav lights and follow it backwards and they have to go to a fuse somewhere.
KpHonknImRloadn
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:49 pm

Yep, that was it. Apparently there are only 2 fuses for the entire electrical system. Well, I replaced that and hooked everythin up and tadaa!!! A few minutes later I decide to hook everything back up "properly", by putting the engine on one battery and all the accessories on the other. Now everything works..............................but my new rope lights. :pissed: AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :pissed:
I re-wired and rechecked everything twice and nothin doin. Maybe the freakin switch went bad or something. Usually with low voltage wiring, most problems are due to a dead short. Maybe I wasnt ment to have fancy gunwale lighting. :pissed: I'm gonna sleep on it and try it again. :help:
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby KpHonknImRloadn » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:01 pm

Dont ya hate it when that happens. are you sure that the lights work? check them directly to a battery. also I see you are from Louisville, do you know of a guy nicknamed RedDog, he blows for zink or something like that. he was up this way guiding for a while.
KpHonknImRloadn
hunter

Postby KpHonknImRloadn » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:27 am

Hey what ever happened did you end up getting it to work? if you could get some pictures that would be cool to, I want to do this to my boat.
KpHonknImRloadn
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:31 pm

KpHonknImRloadn wrote:Hey what ever happened did you end up getting it to work? if you could get some pictures that would be cool to, I want to do this to my boat.

Sorry Kp! Actually no. It's still sitting in my garage laughing at me. What I've yet to do is disconnect everything and hook it str8 to the battery. Will let you know when I know and I'll see about some pics when I get her goin. I've been busier than a one armed wall-paper hanger. AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:22 pm

Here they are installed and finally working. I ended up running a dedicated circuit from the battery. You will have to buy some wire and spade bits to complete the job.

[siteimg]1534[/siteimg]
[siteimg]1535[/siteimg]
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby KpHonknImRloadn » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:36 am

looks good, glad you got them working. Maybe there wasn't enough juice in the one circuit to run all your lights on top of those. Who knows I think this spring, that is going to be on my list of things to do to the boat.
KpHonknImRloadn
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds