Help!!! Brand new at diver duck hunting!!

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Help!!! Brand new at diver duck hunting!!

Postby duckboy1313 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:37 pm

hi. i am 14 and just started waterfowl hunting. we own a place on lake Eie and next hunting season are going to try diver duck hunting! i am really excited!! But no very little knowledge. no one in my whole family hunts,and my dad is a vegetarian, and does not hunt.But he takes me huntig and supports that i choose to hunt but does not participate. So i am in need of some tips or advice of any sort that would concern hunting on lake Erie. All i no is that you need alot of decoys. i have no idea what kind or anything. Any info would greatly help!!!
Austin
duckboy1313
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:33 pm

do your reasearch with local hunters and the internet on the type of ducks in your area. Observe ducks from shore or a boat before season on there flight from resting to feeding areas, and getting out while it is still dark and waiting is the best time also right before dusk.I would suggest starting with 3-4 dozen decoys.If you plan to hunt near shore i would suggest 1 doz. of those to be mallards and place them nearest to shore.
You want to set out your decoys in a j shaped pattern so that ducks fly in from the top of the jay and follow the line down int the hooked part, this is wear they wnt to land if the wind is right, try to set up so they land int the wind, also set up to one side of the hook, not the bottom so ducks arent looking directly at you. you should start to practice calling . hope this helps.
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby duckboy1313 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:07 pm

Thanks. that helps alot. i am gonna start obseving the ducks to see there behaviors and stuff!!!
duckboy1313
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:40 pm

yes, they should be coming down your way already, just be carful, and remember that the water level may be lower in the fall.
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby duckboy1313 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:52 pm

why does the water level effect the hunting??
duckboy1313
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:57 pm

it usually dosent but some good inlets now may be dry during the season, but not usually.Mostly this happens in swamps, but can in lakes to, but if you hunt the main part of the lake it shouldnt effect it at all.
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds