suggestions for new boat?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

suggestions for new boat?

Postby ez2beme00 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:30 am

I just started duck hunting from shore last year. I am going to buy a new boat this year, to hunt muddy marshes, shallow rocky rivers, and fish lakes in MN and the Mississippi River. I'm looking at PD or GT 1852. Console or tiller? If you had an $11,000 budget what would you buy?
ez2beme00
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:08 am

For an 1852, I would go console. Too hard to see from the back with that tiller handle which is vital so you can dodge obstacles.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby ez2beme00 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:53 am

Has anyone ever seen a PD32 console with reverse? How hard is it to shift and run in reverse from the console? I really don't know anything about these boats and motors. I have never seen one in my area.
From the videos that I have seen, it looks like that PD can get in and out of some pretty nasty places with that reverse system.
ez2beme00
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:27 pm

From what I know, the PD reverse cannot be shifted from a console. It requires a quick but manual ratcheting of the drive 180 degrees from its normal position in relation to the powerhead. But when that is done you have full power reverse, which is nice for getting unstuck. You just drive out under the full propulsion power of the prop...backwards!

As for a big boat, my last two have been an 1854 GatorTrax and an 1852 Legendcraft. Both short tail tiller mud motors. Sometimes I wish I had a console and sometimes - when I need to reposition the prop fast in the tough stuff - I am glad I've got what I've got.

I have a brand new boat on order, an 1850 and I am going with a tiller mudmotor again. I find that when I drive standing I can see just fine over the front of the boat. A grab bar is essential for driving while standing, IMO.

Hope this helps.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby nuthin_but_green » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:43 pm

HaydenHunter wrote:From what I know, the PD reverse cannot be shifted from a console.

Not yet, they are currently working on a remote that will put it in reverse from the console.
nuthin_but_green
hunter

Postby LUV2DUChunt » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:53 pm

I got a beavertail 1848 and a 35 HP MudBuddy last year for that price all brand new. I love the boat! Those guys there are great, they are based in minnesota. i hunt the exact same type of waters and the boat and motor did great.
Jason

Get out and Hunt!!! Then youll understand what an addiction is. We all know about it but can't explain it.
LUV2DUChunt
hunter

Postby UT Greenhead » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:14 pm

I would suggest a 18X54 rig myself in a square chine console. I myself have an 18X52 w/ 32 PD, and as much as I love my rig it probably wouldn't be the best in shallow rocks. I would suggest you finding a dealer in your area to test a few different ones. I would actually lean toward a Gator-Tail with console and reverse. One thing I must reiterate, wide boat.....square chine will help keep the boat higher in the water, which is a definite plus in shallow rocky rivers.

UTG
“You can agree with me or you can be wrong!”
UT Greenhead
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:24 pm

I guess, like with everything, everyone has an opinion..... You may want to ask yourself if you will be doing more fishing than hunting out of the boat. I say that because, the console is great on "a fishing boat" but you loose a lot of needed space on a duck boat. I guess it's all about what you can afford but I would recomend trim and tilt as you will spend lots of time lifting the motor out of the mud. Good Luck :salude:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:59 am

I just reread your original post and if you are doing any amount of shallow rocky rivers at all you should go with a tiller motor. The ability to place the prop exactly where you want it, and quickly, calls for tiller.

I made the mistake last year of getting into a boat for something I thought I wanted to do. I eventually didn't do it at all, and the boat is subpar for what I do 95% of the time. I have a new boat on order now.

Make an honest assessment of what kind of running you will be doing. If you are actually going to run rocky rivers instead of just "think you might" then you should rethink the console.

Not to mention what was said by another poster about consoles taking up valuable space.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby pwhnts5 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:11 pm

Ez2,

I think we might have talked or emailed back and forth. We will be doing spring demos in May, you might want to come down and check out all the different rigs. I think we will have at least 7-8 different boats in the water, including consoles, singles, duals, and every different size of boat we can get there.

Drop me your email or address so we can send you the flyer when we set the final dates and locatation.

PW
Illowa Marine - Illowa Pro-Drive
Phowler Boat Company
Best Hull Warranty in the Bussiness
http://www.larrysillowamarine.com
http://www.phowlerboatcompany.com
email: larrys-prodrive@mchsi.com

Clinton, Iowa 52732 Ph: 563-242-8969
pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor

Postby ez2beme00 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:19 pm

PW,
I am going to try to get to the WTC in Dubuque on the 18th to see your boats. Hopefully the boat that I end up with will be my last,.........everyone's input and experience is appreciated.
EZ
ez2beme00
hunter

Postby UT Greenhead » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:48 pm

I somewhat agree with HH, as the tillers are easier to put the prop where you need it quickly. However, you also must think about weight and how it's distributed. If you're going to be carrying a load in your rig all the time which you can put up front to help distribute the weight of the motor and you then I say tiller also. But if you're going to be running mostly and empty boat, you might need your weight further up front to help keep the back of the boat higher in the water. There are sooooo many things to consider when buying a rig. You should try to get a few different models to run where you will normally be run'n em, but that's not always practical. Keep asking questions though, you'll eventually figure it out. I wouldn't order until you do though. :thumbsup:

UTG
“You can agree with me or you can be wrong!”
UT Greenhead
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds