Surface Drive Build **Update 10/20**

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: Surface Drive Build **Almost Done**

Postby Griffin4590 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:31 pm

man that is looking awesome! You have really taken this to the next leval. Check your PM's
Griffin4590
hunter

Postby sftull » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:25 pm

So the Brown Santa dropped by today and brought my prop(Hill 11x10). I took some time this evening to put a vent fitting in the drive housing, just in-case there is any pressure in there......I don't want to blow a seal out. I also packed the tapered roller bearings with grease and put everything together. How often do you think I'll have to grease the bearings?

Hopefully this weekend, I will get the chain and sprockets on and fire it up. After I make sure everything is in working order, I'll take it back apart, have the rest of the welding done and then it will be time for reassembly, paint and a full test run :grooving:
sftull
hunter

Postby sftull » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:06 pm

The build is going slow now that things are getting more intricate. I worked on the control box and throttle setup tonight. All of the wires and throttle cable run through the middle of the handle. On the control box, is a tach and a dead man switch. Everything will be painted once I get it finished.

p.s. look over the mess around my shop.
sftull
hunter

Postby Erich_870 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:10 pm

Awesome progress! :beer:

Nice use of a junction box to hold the tach and kill switch! What kind of tach is that? It's very small, me likey :thumbsup:

Erich
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Weed Whacker Boat Motor Build
Erich_870
hunter

Postby sftull » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:17 pm

Thank you sir. I was wondering who would figure out the junction box first.... :thumbsup: The tach is from Northern tools and they have two of them, one is the Tiny Tach brand and its about $75. This is a SenDEC brand and they work great. It has a built in hour meter and alerts you when its time to change the oil. I had one on my long tail and it worked great. Its about $35.
sftull
hunter

Postby sftull » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:11 pm

I didn't like the sound of the stock muffler, so I decided to make a header with dual mufflers. The pipe is 1" emt and although the welds aren't too pretty, its very solid. Still need to make a support brace for the muffler end and wrap it with header wrap. Not sure how it sounds yet, but I hope good.

sftull
hunter

Re: Surface Drive Build **New Exhaust**

Postby Griffin4590 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:19 pm

as always it looks great. You going to build some kind of cover for that gear? looks pretty mean hanging out there
Griffin4590
hunter

Postby sftull » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:32 pm

Thanks. Yea, there is an aluminum cover that goes over it. The muffler brace will attach to it.
sftull
hunter

Postby shutherdown » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:33 pm

Nice build. I am in the process of doing mine. I got my prop for Ron also when I talked to him he told me to use a 10x8 an I an using a 13hp motor. What size is your motor. How are you going to take the tension out of the chain.
shutherdown
hunter

Postby Griffin4590 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:50 pm

sftull wrote:Thanks. Yea, there is an aluminum cover that goes over it. The muffler brace will attach to it.

exactly what I was going to suggest but i should have known you had it covered already. :thumbsup:
Griffin4590
hunter

Postby guywithhat » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:04 pm

sweet lookin exhaust pipe... centered to blow the spray back, and pointed down it will echo off the water... I don't have a muffler on mine, and when I let off the throttle... it snaps and pops back firing... is a bit loud at 5am :biggrin:
Built Not Bought!
This is Romeo Foxtrot. Shall we dance?
MorningWood built thread - viewtopic.php?f=72&t=164022
guywithhat
hunter

Postby sftull » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:45 pm

I fired it up today and it sounded good.
sftull
hunter

Postby Griffin4590 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:02 pm

sftull wrote:I fired it up today and it sounded good.

gotta get a video for us when you test it!
Griffin4590
hunter

Postby sftull » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:17 pm

I decided not to tune the engine in its stock configuration and then want to upgrade parts, so I ordered a 34mm Mikuni carb, billet rod, 280 torque cam and springs. I hope that with those parts and the exhaust, will put me somewhere around 20hp. I know its still going to be pretty slow on my 1648 but on a 1436 or something, I bet it would scoot on pretty good.....or maybe on a flat back canoe... :biggrin: :biggrin:
sftull
hunter

Postby guywithhat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:44 am

don't forget an billet/aluminum flywheel... help reduce your spinning mass... and I am assuming your going to remove the govenor...I had the same thought... about it pushes my 1640 ply alright... but would move a 1436 much better, and I don't really need a boat that size anyway... even a 1236 if it can take the weight and plan out good...
Built Not Bought!
guywithhat
hunter

Postby sftull » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:10 am

don't forget an billet/aluminum flywheel... help reduce your spinning mass...

guy, after speaking with the guy at nrracing and asking about a billet flywheel, he said not to go that route b/c marine applications need the rotating mass. He said if I was going to be spinning the motor higher than 5500 then defiantly go with one but I'm going to try and stay around 4500 to 4700 rpm's.
sftull
hunter

Postby guywithhat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:55 pm

ah... I plan on building my power with RPM's and running up to 6500 to make up for my lack of displacement...
Built Not Bought!
guywithhat
hunter

Postby sftull » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:35 pm

guy, did you ever get to gps your combo?
sftull
hunter

Postby guywithhat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:19 pm

can't say I did... the engine was pulled the end of the year... and everything but the river is frozen over here... just got a gps last month.... I really wish I ordered it before in the fall and could of got some numbers on the 1640 with the stock engine, and the 1640 with the built engine, and the built engine and the all 'glass rig... just to compare speeds... Iam sure I'll be able to tell by the seatOpants speedometer, and my vids if its faster... but isn't the same... on a side note.. the reason I finally broke down and got a handheld gps is cause I rigged a new ice auger to my 3spd dewalt hammer drill for ice fishing.. and the 4th hole it fell off and sunk.. I plans on gettin it back in the summer.. :biggrin:
Built Not Bought!
guywithhat
hunter

Postby sftull » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:38 pm

Good idea with the gps. The cam, rod and springs will be here tomorrow. the carb came in today, so hopefully this weekend I'll have time to tear the engine apart and get everything installed. I still have alot to learn with it comes to tuning this carb.
sftull
hunter

Postby sftull » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:08 pm

So my rod, cam and springs came in and I decided to get everything installed today. Well the billet rod for the gx390 doesn't fit the wrist pin for the gx420(clone) :mad: Its about .006 to small, so in the process of sanding and test fitting the rod, wrist pin and piston I ended up cracking the skirt of the piston :mad: So I though, no biggie, I'll just order a stock piston and it will be ok. WRONG!!!! I can't find one anywhere. Aftermarket pistons are more than the whole engine was, so it looks like I'll be ordering a new engine just to get the piston! :mad: If for some reason the cam doesn't work I'm going to set everything on fire!!!!!!!
sftull
hunter

Postby guywithhat » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:27 pm

that sucks.. yeah I don't think there's a huge aftermarket for the gx420.. the 200 and 390 seem to be the main engines people mod...
Built Not Bought!
guywithhat
hunter

Postby MAX4Utah » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:21 am

EBay a Honda motor or get a used one and rebuild it... There has got to be more aftermarket parts around for those.
MAX4Utah
hunter

Postby sftull » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:58 pm

Well wouldn't you know it, the cam journal were .008 to small. GX390 parts are not drop in for the 16hp clone. I ended up taking a .004 feeler gauge and using it to take up the slack. As for the piston, I will be ordering a new engine first of the week. This will give me some spare parts incase I need them. I will port, polish and deck one of the heads down the road. I have not checked the rod but I pray they are the same length. If not then I'll have to turn the piston down with the lathe. I really hope this thing screams.
sftull
hunter

Postby sftull » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:06 pm

I picked the frame up from the welder today....he did a really good job on it. I can't wait to get it painted and put the motor on it. Excuse the mess in the background.

sftull
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds