Surface Drive Build **Update 10/20**

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: Surface Drive Build

Postby SWLAmarshrunner » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:08 am

Great, I cant wait to see how it comes out. Looking great so far.
SWLAmarshrunner
hunter

Postby sftull » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:47 pm

Here is a pic of the new lathe with a 3" diameter piece of aluminum in the chuck. This will become part of the prop end bearing cup.

Here is the QCTP I added and 4 bolt compound mount I made. These two modifications really made the lathe a joy to use.
sftull
hunter

Postby shutherdown » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:31 pm

What size prop are you using.
shutherdown
hunter

Postby sftull » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:50 am

What size prop are you using.

I think I'm going to get an 11x10 but not exactly sure yet.

*** Update ***

Finished machining the lower bearing cup and pressed the bearing races into the housings. I have one part left to make, lower seal housing, and then I'll be finished machining the drive tube. Once I get it done, I'll post pics of it assembled and disassembled.
sftull
hunter

Postby umahunter » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:48 pm

looking dam good man nice lil lathe thats next on my list of toys to add to the shop :thumbsup:
umahunter
hunter

Postby sftull » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:14 pm

looking dam good man nice lil lathe thats next on my list of toys to add to the shop :thumbsup:

Thanks. They are really handy!! I don't know what your needs are but these little lathe aren't bad at all.
sftull
hunter

Postby umahunter » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:09 pm

something that size would probably fit me fine especially since i have a garage shop ive watched for a used unit for years but they dont come along often in my neck of the woods if they do its usually when im broke :hammer: :hammer: by the way what kind of lathe is that ???
umahunter
hunter

Postby sftull » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:50 am

by the way what kind of lathe is that ???
Its from Wholesale Tools. Same company supplies WT, Enco, HF and a few others.
sftull
hunter

Postby MikeDubM887 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:52 pm

Has anybody put an alternator on one? I'm in the process of buying and starting to draw mine out for next season.
"there's a fine line between slaying ducks, and standing in the water tootin your call like an idiot, I'm tryin to figure out which were doin here."
MikeDubM887
hunter

Postby sftull » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:26 am

Has anybody put an alternator on one? I'm in the process of buying and starting to draw mine out for next season.

I looked into that when I was thinking about running a clutch. I have come back around to the clutch idea, not sure how much power it takes to operate the clutch, but I don't think adding a one wire alternator(belt driven) would be too hard. You could remove the gas tank and mount it on the top of the engine.
sftull
hunter

Postby sftull » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:36 am

***** Update ****
I hit my head a few weeks ago and started having bad headaches. Went to the doc and I have a concussion. He told me to take it easy, so the build might get put on hold for a couple of weeks. Last night I was thinking about after I get this thing finished, I was planning to remove the side console, remove the outboard, and run the mud motor tiller steer. Last night, I got to thinking, why not keep the console in, removed the outboard and put the mud motor on. Since my transom mount is from an outboard, I can hook my steering to it. Most places I need to go, the boat will float, its just the water is too shallow for my outboard, so I can set the trim on the mm and steer from the console. If I do find myself stuck, I'm going to make a quick disconnect for the remote steer and have a small tiller handle to operate it manually. With the electric clutch, and electric start, it should be ok.
sftull
hunter

Postby Erich_870 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:31 pm

Sftull,

Sorry to hear you got hurt. Take it easy and heal up, there's plenty of time until next season! :thumbsup:

Using your tiller steering sounds cool! You might check out how the Prodrive guys do theirs, just in case they beefed up certain parts for their surface drive.

Erich
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Weed Whacker Boat Motor Build
Erich_870
hunter

Postby sftull » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:59 pm

I was able to spend some time in the shop today and finished machining the parts for the drive shaft housing. This part holds the prop side seal, bearing and lock collar. Since the housing side bearing and lock collar will be inside the housing, I had to make the prop side housing in two pieces, so it will come apart....in the event I need to service any of the parts.

outside of seal housing

Inside of seal housing with seal already in.

prop side bearing race

bearing housing with tapered roller bearing

bearing housing with bearing and lock collar

seal housing

seal cover over bearing housing

prop end on tube

drive shaft tube

drive shaft tube on frame

I hope to get it all welded up this coming week.
sftull
hunter

Postby Erich_870 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Looking great! :thumbsup:

What's the plan to seal the bearing cup to the seal cup? I see some groves on the bearing cup, are those for o-rings?

Erich

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Erich_870
hunter

Postby sftull » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:50 pm

5200 sealant. the groves are for more surface area between the metal and the 5200. there will also be three bolts that hold it on.
sftull
hunter

Postby guywithhat » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:40 pm

whoa.. thats way fancy'r then my threaded pipe coupler welded to a non threaded pipe with a roller bearing turned down on a bench grinder jammed inside.... lookin forward to seeing the finished setup runnin..... lookin good.... :thumbsup:
Built Not Bought!
This is Romeo Foxtrot. Shall we dance?
MorningWood built thread - viewtopic.php?f=72&t=164022
guywithhat
hunter

Postby Turn4fun » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:44 pm

Nice looking work there :thumbsup: I did a seal housing similar to yours on one of my weedeater builds some years ago. Of course it was much smaller, but same concept. I had a bronze bushing inside a 1" OD thick walled aluminum tube, seal pressed into a pocket in the housing like yours, and the housing pressed over the tube. Worked very well, never leaked and never came loose. If I had it to do over again, I'd make it where it threaded over the tube instead since the press on is nearly impossible to take off without damaging it in if I ever need to change the bushing or seal. I know how well 5200 works so I imagine you'll be in for a chore if you ever have to get back inside to service the bearing or seal.

Nice lathe too, I've actually been wanting that one for a while. I have a smaller Cummin's 7 x 12 with a few mods and upgrades. With a little ingenuity, you can use it to fabricate every part on a longtail. I use mine to make bearing housings, thread the driveshaft, and even to mill the keyway.
Missouri Waterfowl Association
Westside Chapter Chairman
Turn4fun
hunter

Postby Indawoods » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:41 pm

harryhyde wrote:
flightstopper wrote:The key to welding aluminum is keeping contamination out of the weld, clean the chit out of it. A welding shop can hook you up with what you need there. Also make sure you don't try to use the same shielding gas as you would welding steel, will not work...

If you use argon it will work on steel and aluminum. I will take your word for it on the other gases, as I have not used them.

steel should be mixed gas, co2 at 15 percent for proper penetration. 100 percent argon will produce a cold weld on steel and should be used with aluminum.
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Postby sftull » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:05 pm

I got my drive tube back from the welder today. I think he did a really good job considering how thick the material is. Still alot of work to do to the tube, grease zerts, tap some holes, weld some flanges on for top support and bottom skeg, etc.

sftull
hunter

Postby sftull » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:48 pm

What color do you think I need to paint the motor and frame?? Also post a pic if you have seen one that color before.
sftull
hunter

Re: Surface Drive Build**small Update**

Postby sftull » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:18 pm

I cut the threads in the shaft over the weekend and ordered the prop today(11x10 from Hill). If everything goes according to plan, I hope to have this thing together in the next few weeks. Still debating on what color to paint it...
sftull
hunter

Re: Surface Drive Build**small Update**

Postby Erich_870 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:07 pm

sftull wrote:I cut the threads in the shaft over the weekend and ordered the prop today(11x10 from Hill). If everything goes according to plan, I hope to have this thing together in the next few weeks. Still debating on what color to paint it...

Cool! Can't wait to see the finished product! :beer:

As for color, what kind of cover do you hunt in? I've always liked OD green, but my hunting spots are usually brown/tan grasses. Also, I've been thinking about how a darker color really sticks out at a distance. It's really easy to see a dark figure a long ways off. I think I'm going to go with a tan color that may look too light up close but mellows out as you get further away. Just something to think about. :thumbsup:

Erich

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Erich_870
hunter

Postby sftull » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:11 pm

Making progress but kinda slow at the moment. I was able to get the bottom plate done. It attaches with (10) 10x24 ss bolts and I'll use some 5200 to keep the water out. The only reason I'll need to get in there will be to remove the sprocket for maintenance.

Its a 1/4" plate that is pop riveted to some 3/16" angle. I'll have the guy that does my aluminum welding, weld the angle to the plate, then drill the rivets out and weld the hole up. Once that is done, alittle 5200 and it will be water tight.

What the bottom will look like when its done.
sftull
hunter

Postby sftull » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:24 pm

I removed the console and outboard from the boat today. Then I mounted the mud motor to the boat. It looks pretty small in comparison to the outboard. At the current time it weighs just under 100lbs...so I think it will be around 135 - 150lbs when finished. The prop will be here on tuesday and then I can make the skeg. Once all of that is done, I'll have the last of the welding done and hopefully fire it up in a week or so.

sftull
hunter

Postby sftull » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:36 pm

Today, I got the grease zerts installed and the screws that hold the end cap on. I also machined a key way in the drive shaft for the sprocket and worked some more on the piece that goes from the drive shaft tube to the housing. I cut some holes in it to help remove some of the weight. Since I'm using scrap aluminum, there are a few holes that were drilled in it, so I've got to get the three small holes welded up.

sftull
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds