Grizzly 1448 Remodel

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Grizzly 1448 Remodel

Postby t_baker » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:21 am

one of the sales reps that comes in my shop has a grizzly 1448 bought in 09 for sale. it has a 2005 2 stroke 25 hp johnson. lowrance fish finder. livewell with pump. avery quickset with marsh grass. 3 max 4 fold down seats. cover. some sort of rubber floor covering. and a few other minor things. all on a 2009 ez load trailer. he is asking 2200 for it. i was planning on buying a 1648 this spring but thought this sounded like a good deal. i usually hunt 1 or 2 guys plus me and my dog. what do u guys think? worth saving the money and loosing 2 feet?
Last edited by t_baker on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
t_baker
hunter

Re: grizzly 1448

Postby MeadowMauler83 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:37 am

YES!! the motor is worth over a grand by itself. Is it a welded or riveted boat?
MeadowMauler83
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:59 am

GET IT FAST!!!! If you don't someone else will. For that price giving up 2 ft is worth it.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby t_baker » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:16 pm

Grizzly are all welded. And I don't have to worry bout it going anywhere. I have a good relationship with this guy. I make him alota money everyday. I guess I will get some pics posted this weekend. I prob will grab it Saturday or Sunday
t_baker
hunter

Postby trumarc » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:56 pm

I've got the same rig. My motor is a little older but the 25 will make that boat fly with 2 guys 2 dogs and gear. It's by far the best rig i've hunted. The 1448 is not the biggest boat out there but it is wide and feels bigger than it is. Handles great too. I've had mine, (an 08) since 2009 and love it. Buy it before someone else does.
trumarc
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:43 pm

Finally got a free day to go pick the boat up today. He ended up going and buying me a brand new cover from BPS for it and threw it in on the deal. I ended up getting all the safety equipment with it also. The blind was not the quick set that i thought it was. It was a pretty sturdy homemade one. Not a bad blind and very well built but looks like its going to be a pain to put and pick up dekes around so I am going to rob the marsh grass and build a fold down style for it. Also he has the wiring for the interior lights and Nav lights ran thru the slot for the VERSA TRACK gunnel. I would like to re-route that and add another set of interior lights on the opposite side. So i am open for any suggestions there. The paint is flaking pretty bad and i plan on stripping everything and sanding and repainting it. I am also going to stencil it inside and out. SHOW ME UR STENCIL JOBS! After we picked it up today we took it down to the lake to try it out. I was very happy with how stable it was and it is very quick with the 25HP on there. I did notice it took awhile for it to plane out so i think i will also be adding some beavertail pods with the paint job. Prob take the next month or so to complete as we are pretty busy at work right now but i will keep everyone update with pics. But for now here are a few from today.

Last edited by t_baker on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
t_baker
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:53 am

You got a steal on that rig. Congrats.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:30 pm

carolinagreenhead wrote:You got a steal on that rig. Congrats.

Thanks alot. I was just checking out your build. I think i am going to order some of those LED's from Toller and use the existing 2 that i already have on the front side of the bench seat and add 4 more (2 on each side) of the ones from Toller.

Also i am still looking for some stencil ideas. I spent some time comming up with a better way to route the wiring to the front. I am leaning towards putting it in some 3/8 PVC pipe and routing it under the gunnel and fastening it with some P clamps like pictured below with a short screw. Does anyone see any problem with this that i am missing? Im kind of a wiring freak and like to see it clean and done right.

I have some left over bed liner from a past customers truck that i also came across tonight in the garage. Its a tintable liner so i plan on tinting it OD green with the paint for the rest of the boat and spraying the front deck to give my dog a little more to push off of on retrieves.

My wife says i need to stay in the house because i just keep coming up with more and more i want to do to it. :huh:
t_baker
hunter

Postby labs17 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:21 pm

God job, that is a real steal. Why don't you make yourself look like a serious genius and turn around and sell it to me for $2750?
labs17
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:56 pm

I didn't go back and re-read thru everything but I think you said the wires were running through the track system in the boat? Is this not the way it's supposed to be? If the track is deep enough, I would leave it the way it is as long as it's clean and out of the way. The LED's in my boat are fantastic and work great. I absolutely love em. I will give you a tip about them though. The wires on them are so small (like 26 or 28 ga) it makes them a pure pain to wire in but if you take your time and once you get them they are bright and will light up that boat real nice.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby Reid07 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:57 am

I've got the same boat, and I like it pretty good. I just had a guy install some pods on mine, and I'm having to take it back to him because one of them isn't level :sad: I have a 25 Mariner on it, and if I move the fuel tank and battery forward, she'd do 28 mph, before the screwed up pod installation. I'm not even gonna take it back out until I find out whether or not the pod situation can be fixed. I wanted to find a way to run some conduit along the groove inside the hull where the outside "rib" or whatever you'd call it is, that way it'd look cleaner, but running it under the gunnel sounds like it'd look much better.
Reid07
hunter

Postby t_baker » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:24 pm

i was looking at the rib and thinking of running conduit in it also. but to put the LED's along the side i would have to raise the wire up to the gunnel. which is why i am thinking of running it under the gunnel. also with doing it in the rib there is really no way to fasten it and the boat sides do curve out some and its going to be hard for it to stay flush. i plan on getting the boat stripped and ready for primer and paint this weekend so i will have some pics posted soon.
t_baker
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:42 pm

t_baker wrote:i was looking at the rib and thinking of running conduit in it also. but to put the LED's along the side i would have to raise the wire up to the gunnel. which is why i am thinking of running it under the gunnel. also with doing it in the rib there is really no way to fasten it and the boat sides do curve out some and its going to be hard for it to stay flush. i plan on getting the boat stripped and ready for primer and paint this weekend so i will have some pics posted soon.

Not exactly. I have all of my wires running along the side of the boat. I put them inside that plastic wire covering that makes it look nicer and neat. Then I got some 3M double sided tape from Home Depot and cut 2 or 3 inch strips and taped the wiring to the side of the boat. That stuff actually works really well. It will hold it there and it sticks real good. You can't tell it's even there but my wires stay put.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby t_baker » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:05 pm

carolinagreenhead wrote:
t_baker wrote:i was looking at the rib and thinking of running conduit in it also. but to put the LED's along the side i would have to raise the wire up to the gunnel. which is why i am thinking of running it under the gunnel. also with doing it in the rib there is really no way to fasten it and the boat sides do curve out some and its going to be hard for it to stay flush. i plan on getting the boat stripped and ready for primer and paint this weekend so i will have some pics posted soon.

Not exactly. I have all of my wires running along the side of the boat. I put them inside that plastic wire covering that makes it look nicer and neat. Then I got some 3M double sided tape from Home Depot and cut 2 or 3 inch strips and taped the wiring to the side of the boat. That stuff actually works really well. It will hold it there and it sticks real good. You can't tell it's even there but my wires stay put.

pics please. id like to check that out
t_baker
hunter

Re: Grizzly 1448 Remodel

Postby t_baker » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:14 pm

Well after a busy weekend I found a couple hours tonight to strip the boat to prep for paint. I also made it to Menards yesterday and got some 1/2 inch PVC to use under my gunnel to route the wires. I found some stencils on ebay that i liked and ordered those last night. Hopefully they are here by the middle of the week. I am looking for a small access hatch to mount at the rear by the transom (where the dr pepper can is sitting) where i plan on installing my fuse block and switch panel. I need it to be roughly 8X12. I am having a hard time finding one like the 2 that were already installed in the rear bench seat. The wiring that i tore out tonight was pretty crude. The only thing i ended up keeping was the power ground wires for the fish finder. Pretty lame pictures at this point. I should have some some more work done tomorrow night and hope to spray some primer and paint by tuesday night.

here is a link to the stencils I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Duck-Grass-Camo ... d4&vxp=mtr

t_baker
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:48 am

Check the link in my sig. There might be some pics there but nothing close up I'm sure. Give me some time and I'll try and get you something better.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby t_baker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:47 pm

Well i got the boat all sanded tonight. top and bottom. WOW did tracker do a horrible job of prepping the surface to paint. There was no primer, nor was there any sanding done. It was no wonder the paint was flaking the way it was. I ran over all over it with 180 and will be spraying it with SEM etching primer and Parker duck boat paint. Only issue i have is my expected delivery date for my paint is the 13th of this month. Most orders i place from cabelas i have within 3 days. I had high hopes of spraying the boat tomorrow evening but thats not looking to good at this point. Any how here are a couple updated pics.

t_baker
hunter

Postby GooseHunter131 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:10 pm

That's looking good!!! Looks like you got a nice shop to do the work in. I'm sure with your painting experience that boat is gonna look awesome when you are done. Keep the pics coming!! Great progress so far..Huff
GooseHunter131
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:31 am

It's coming together real nice. Having a shop like that to work in makes a huge difference. Keep em coming.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:48 pm

Well i got my tracking confirmation from Cabelas today. Looks like I will have the paint tomorrow afternoon. Alot better than the 13th that my previous email stated. I dug out the bed liner after work tonight and got the paint bay all cleaned up so I dont have to worry about it tomorrow after work. I also finish prepping the boat and got it all wiped down. I masked off the front deck and sprayed the bed liner in before heading for the couch. I will be top coating it with the Parker paint tomorrow so dont mind the black color now. I ended up spraying it at around 8 PSI so that i could get a rougher finish. I also mixed the liner very thick to help out more with the rough finish. My biggest reason is my dog will be retrieving off this deck and I want to make sure he can push off without slipping.

Here is the deck masked off and sprayed in 2 coats of SEM etching primer.

And the finished deck with the Raptor bed liner.
t_baker
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:42 am

I need to quit looking at this thread. Your making me want to do another project. My wife would run me out of the house!!
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby t_baker » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:39 pm

Well I got it all painted today. UPS showed up with the paint at 1:10. I put all my tools away and was clocked out by 1:16 and was on my way home to paint. I loved the Parker Duck Boat paint. I thinned it enough to spray smoothly but still thick enough to my liking. I sprayed 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint. And really hosed it on when i was going over the gunnels. I primed it all hanging and then sprayed the bottom and inside with paint. Once that dried I sat it back on the lift and sprayed the sides and transom.

Wiped down ready for primer

2 coats of primer

t_baker
hunter

Postby feet down nebraska » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:48 am

Brand new boat looking good!
feet down nebraska
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:08 am

What a difference a little paint makes.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby Reid07 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:59 am

Man, that is a super nice shop! Awesome looking paint job too! Keep up the great work and keep posting pics, please! :clapping:
Reid07
hunter

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds