First Boat Build aka "Fowl-Attitude"

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

First Boat Build aka "Fowl-Attitude"

Postby chaltig » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:28 pm

I scored this 12ft jon boat of Craigslist for 100 bucks. I figured since it will just be me and my gear in the boat 12ft is just fine.

I started by removing all the stuff that wasn't necessary and giving it a thorough cleaning, then gave it a coat of primer.

Then I prepped the boat by using a scotch pad to slightly etch the surface for paint. After that I wiped down the boat using mineral spirits to remove any particles that would restrict the paint from adhering properly.

I then painted the boat using Parker's Duck Boat Paint in Sand Tan color and a HVLP sprayer to apply the paint. I applied 2 coats.

Once the paint dried I used Krylon camo brown and woodland light green, and some homemade cardboard stencils to add the reeds, grass, and cattails all over the boat.( I still feel it needs some khaki or dark tan colored grass graphics)

Once that was dry I cut out the stencil for the name of the boat and painted it on the back. Decided the boat should be named "Fowl Attitude"

This is as far as I've gotten with the build. I have plans to build a scissor blind, add lights, motor and such but any input would be greatly appreciated. :help:
Last edited by chaltig on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Field Staff Pacific Custom Calls
chaltig
hunter

Re: First Boat Build

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:29 am

If your going to continue to carry it in your truck bed, I would suggest that you look at the "T" hitch extender from Harbor Freight. It fits in a class 3 hitch receiver and puts a cross bar to rest things - your boat - on 4' back of the tail gate. It's very secure for a 12' boat. They cost $25 - 30 without a coupon.

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:48 am

That paint job looks good but I hope you used some type of primer coat on that bare aluminum before you painted it.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby chaltig » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:21 am

carolinagreenhead wrote:That paint job looks good but I hope you used some type of primer coat on that bare aluminum before you painted it.

Thank you! I forgot to state that but yes I did add a coat of primer
chaltig
hunter

Postby chaltig » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:35 am

Mark F. Cheney wrote:If your going to continue to carry it in your truck bed, I would suggest that you look at the "T" hitch extender from Harbor Freight. It fits in a class 3 hitch receiver and puts a cross bar to rest things - your boat - on 4' back of the tail gate. It's very secure for a 12' boat. They cost $25 - 30 without a coupon.

Mark F. Cheney

I didn't know they made something like that. Thanks for the tip!
chaltig
hunter

Postby chaltig » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:05 pm

So one question I do have is... how tall should my blind be?

I did some measuring and from the floor of the boat I was thinking it should be 36 inches tall which for me sits at just under eye level when I'm sitting slouched over. Any input?
chaltig
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:28 pm

Right around eye level is where it needs to be. You could also put a roof on it if you want to as well. Check out the links in my signature. My first build was a 12 ft boat just like yours. I built the blind and put a roof on it. Check it out, might give you some ideas.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Re: First Boat Build aka "Fowl-Attitude"

Postby chaltig » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:38 pm

Cool! I will take a look at it.
chaltig
hunter

Postby chaltig » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:08 pm

carolinagreenhead wrote:Right around eye level is where it needs to be. You could also put a roof on it if you want to as well. Check out the links in my signature. My first build was a 12 ft boat just like yours. I built the blind and put a roof on it. Check it out, might give you some ideas.

That's a great build. I think I'm going to have to add a roof. Do you know how much head room you left yourself with the roof? or how high it is from the bottom of the boat?
chaltig
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:13 pm

Just enough so you don't hit your head on it. Re-check my last post. I added a video I made of the build for easier reference. There is a pic of me inside with the top up. Take a look. It just barely clears my head without hitting my head on it. You just want enough room to make it comfortable for you.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby band_blaster » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:48 pm

On your guys 12 ft boats what size motor are you running? I might be picking 1 up and im curious as to what i can run. It will be just me and my dog maybe another buddy but 90% of the time it will be me and my dog
(Stole this idea fromBamaHoyt)Thanks guy!
Mottleds-
Mallards/Hyrbrids-2
Blue wings-
Green wings-
Wood Ducks-
Whistlers-
Hooded Mergansers-
Ring Necks-
Pintails-2
Shovelers-
band_blaster
hunter

Postby chaltig » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:40 pm

My boat says its rated to a 5hp but I don't know if it could handle more.
chaltig
hunter

Postby chaltig » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:48 pm

carolinagreenhead wrote:Just enough so you don't hit your head on it. Re-check my last post. I added a video I made of the build for easier reference. There is a pic of me inside with the top up. Take a look. It just barely clears my head without hitting my head on it. You just want enough room to make it comfortable for you.

I tried to look at the video but the content is blocked. But I think I have an idea of how tall it needs to be.
chaltig
hunter

Postby guywithhat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:22 am

looks good.... I just picked up a 12'jon boat... got my built 6.5hp short tail mud motor on it and some HID fogs so far... I don't think Iam gonna do a blind on mine tho... keep the weight down... you hunt with a dog?
Built Not Bought!
This is Romeo Foxtrot. Shall we dance?
MorningWood built thread - viewtopic.php?f=72&t=164022
guywithhat
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:48 am

chaltig wrote:
carolinagreenhead wrote:Just enough so you don't hit your head on it. Re-check my last post. I added a video I made of the build for easier reference. There is a pic of me inside with the top up. Take a look. It just barely clears my head without hitting my head on it. You just want enough room to make it comfortable for you.

I tried to look at the video but the content is blocked. But I think I have an idea of how tall it needs to be.

Yeah I saw that. I'm trying to work on it and figure out why it's blocked.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby chaltig » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:10 am

guywithhat wrote:looks good.... I just picked up a 12'jon boat... got my built 6.5hp short tail mud motor on it and some HID fogs so far... I don't think Iam gonna do a blind on mine tho... keep the weight down... you hunt with a dog?

No dog, yet. But I figured since it is just me hunting out of the the boat, weight wouldn't be too much of an issue.
chaltig
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:26 am

I don't like the scissor blind concept. You are starting with a nice, light, low profile boat. Why not lay on your back with the side of the boat as your backrest and do some kind of canvas cover (that they sell)... You will be much more concealed. If you are hunting along a tall bank with fallen trees etc, maybe another story.
Guys have done a million conversions on those things, look around, you'll see examples of anything you need.
BTW, what were those black tubes that ran inside the boat when you got it?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby chaltig » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:19 am

The black tubes were modified fly rod holders that the previous owner installed.
chaltig
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:26 pm

I had to re-do the video. Let's try it again. Maybe you can see it before they kill it again.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby 4riverman » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:53 pm

Nice job, looks great. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Four Rivers Layout Boats
Odessa, MO
http://www.fourriverslayoutboats.com
email: sales@fourriverslayoutboats.com
Phone: 816-694-4955
4riverman
DHC Sponsor

Postby chaltig » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:02 pm

carolinagreenhead wrote:I had to re-do the video. Let's try it again. Maybe you can see it before they kill it again.

I saw it, looks good and that gives me a good reference on height. Thank you I appreciate it!
chaltig
hunter

Postby chaltig » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 pm

4riverman wrote:Nice job, looks great. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you! :biggrin:
chaltig
hunter

Postby chaltig » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:54 am

Bought a motor yesterday and got it painted and stenciled.

chaltig
hunter

Postby goetler » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:42 pm

Those little 4hp motors are really good. It looks like it might be of the weedless type. It is amazing how well they will go through the cattails. My old man had one that I used for years. Went to get it out of the shed after not being used for quite a few years and the mice had gotton in there and pissed on everything and it was all corroded. Wouldn't even turn over. Took it in and the guy said that it would be a miricale (sp) to get it working again. He said to leave it there and he would soak it for a while. Went back a while later (ok 1-2 years) and he coldn't find it. He had tore down an old shed and had most of the motors that were in there junked out :mad:

I am now an owner of an older 50-60's 3.5 hp johnson that runs great too :thumbsup:

Enjoy your boat and the build. It is fun working on these things.
Yes honey, I have always had that many decoys!

I C DEAD DUCKS!
goetler
hunter

Postby redneckwino » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:56 pm

Thanks for the video. Been wanting something better for my 1448 Lund. Think I can make something like that hear at home with some conduit, gusset hinges and the arbor press. Use the frame as a bimini top running the river on July 4th.
Right now I have PVC upright and burlap tacked to that with zip screws. This is the same wrap I use on my 15' 6" canoe.
redneckwino
hunter

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds