My boat project..

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: My boat project..

Postby Foxpro80 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:00 am

Very nice !
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
Thomas Jefferson
Foxpro80
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:54 am

Just curious if you have done anymore work to your boat if you have pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:31 am

No, I've been without it since Thursday, a one day project has turned into a week now since I was over there on Saturday and now have seen how slow they work. I don't have near the tooling they have and I don't build boats, but I did my whole front deck by myself in one and half work days. Just kills me to see people work like that. I will post pics of the vent and now tunnel extention they are finishing when I get it back. It was so frustrating to see someone who is a professional welder/fabricator work so slow and be so out of shape. Maybe it was the 5 smokes he have in an hour. It was cool to see how they make there boats in their shop though. They are serious units!!

My next steps will be working on the blind, mainly a good clean way to attach it to the boat. Also will be going up to DAH Propellers to do some testing with about 1000lbs in the boat. Then hopefully get it painted before the start of duck season. But up till now it has been working great on flat water and catching tons of fish!!
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:41 pm

just curious if you have made anymore progress on your boat if you have pics would be awesome so far it looks good.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:42 pm

sorry I posted the same thing twice I thought I didn't post earlier but I was just dumb and didn't see it had gone to a second page.

handyandy
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:17 am

Ok, so I got the boat back, with vent and tunnel extention done. Made a puchase while I was there and this is what you get. Will also post results of the test ride when I get to that, having a garage sale this week to hopefully let the wife allow me to get started on buying material for the blind. :lol3:
Tunnel extention.
The vent set-up, and my new hydro-turf stuff.
Front deck in turf.
And my garage sale find, $30 set of truck steps. $100 new.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:29 pm

Looks real nice let us know how it does when you test it how shallow it can run, how it does in chop or rougher water, and speeds it would be greatly appreciated. I have really been thinking about going with a surface drive but after seeing your boat I may stick with my ob and make some pods and a tunnel that way I can keep my outboard speeds. Plus I could do that my self saving some money other than the cost of some aluminum, filler rod, and argon which is a lot cheaper than a mud motor.

handyandy
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:40 pm

handyandy wrote:Looks real nice let us know how it does when you test it how shallow it can run, how it does in chop or rougher water, and speeds it would be greatly appreciated. I have really been thinking about going with a surface drive but after seeing your boat I may stick with my ob and make some pods and a tunnel that way I can keep my outboard speeds. Plus I could do that my self saving some money other than the cost of some aluminum, filler rod, and argon which is a lot cheaper than a mud motor.

Well I had it out with the family this morning. It seems like I have more water through the tunnel so I think I can raise the motor some more. But regardless, it works well. As far as how shallow it runs, according to my measurements, I am currently drafting about 12"s of water. Thats 3"s of boat, and I have about 8"s of motor under the boat. I know I had a least one guy looking at me all crazy like as we went by him with his motor all trimmed up putting and we were on plane. Although the water is scary low right now, I just know were and were not to go. But as far as this setup, it will be different on different boats depending on width and such for how much water it drafts. Also if you make the tunnel too tall the the boat will ride lower. But as far as speed goes for right now, I'm running a crappy stock 13.5 x 16 prop and I hammered on it for a short time today and we got to 30 gps on my phone but then I backed off with the conditions. I have seen 35 out of it with just me in it but it starts bouncing of course if I try and trim it any. But thats plenty fast for me. I will try and go above the dam this week and do some more testing where there's a little more water. Good excuse to take the dog out. I'll thow some wieght in it too and see what happens.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:53 am

Sounds like its working pretty good and 30-35mph is pretty fast on the water in a flat bottom thats as fast as I would ever wanna go. Gets to rough in a flat bottom to go any faster if its just a little choppy. I have a 1648 with a 25hp johnson and do about 25 with two people small dog 30lbs and fishing gear. I may just start with making a jack plate for it and see how I like that then maybe move into making a tunnel. It wouldn't be as tall as your tunnel I'm thinking if I do it I will probably make it around 3" tall. I imagine with a better prop your motor will perform a lot better. I like the build keep on posting about it as you do more with it.

handyandy
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Well, I had it out again today. Took the boys and the dog to the sand bar above the dam. We had a little chop (8"-12") on the way there and the boat worked fine. Now mind you, our 2 boys are 7 and 9 and equal about 120lbs combined, and the dog is around 100lbs. I don't count me since I will always be in it. Now going up the river was no problem with the wind/chop. On the way home it was still losing 1/2 the waterou tof the tunnel going against the chop unless I kept the motor trimmed all the way down. So nex I will be adding a 75lb sand tube to each side 2/3rds of the way to the rear of the boat and one across the center right at the back of the deck and see how that does. Boat may just be too light at the moment. We shall see. I will say, for a flat bottom as long as you don't get crazy, it doesn't ride too bad. Being 18ft long helps I think. I believe with a hunting load in it and a good load prop on it, it will be just about spot on.. I hope..
gearhead80
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:33 pm

Well I just ordered 35 yards of drak brown 1000d cordura for the start of my blind. Only half is mine, other is for my cousin. Sounds like through one of my hook ups, I'm going to have the boat cerikoated. That should be interesting. Still having small issue with the boat in rougher water. No matter what it still goes, just slips a lot. So at this point it's good enough since I have to take the boat all back apart to have it coated. Hopefully this guy buys my bass boat this weekend!! Will keep you posted.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:33 am

Sounds great if you can takes pics as you build the blind and get the boat coated I like the build good job.

handyandy
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:11 am

Added wings and a more solid top rail to the boat the other day. On a side note, had it out the other day with me and 2 other bigger guys, 2 coolers, a bags game set, and the tool box full of stuff for an all night fishing trip and got 29mph GPS out of it still. This is still with the crappy stock prop it came with.

gearhead80
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:17 am

It looks good glad to hear its working well for you what is cericoat if you don't mind me asking.

handyandy
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:34 pm

handyandy wrote:It looks good glad to hear its working well for you what is cericoat if you don't mind me asking.

Google "cerakote". It's an epxoy paint that is sort of baked on, like powdercoat..
gearhead80
hunter

Postby Boatman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:07 pm

Gearhead, go with a hi rake stainless steel prop. It will make all the difference in the world when running on the surface. If your boat picks up enough speed there will be all air in the tunnel,at slower speeds all water. Propshaft will need to be even with the bottom of the boat not middle of tunnel.You have spent lots of money on the boat but the most important part on the boat is the propeller. Good luck nice rig. Greg
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:44 pm

Thanks Greg, I am currently working on purchasing a Solas Titan hr 4 in a 15 pitch. Should do well.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:16 am

Got my blind frame mostly done yesterday.. Only thing left with it is to make the hatches that will flip foward from the front rail. Then the fun of covering it.

gearhead80
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:44 am

Nice job looks like a good frame can't wait to see the finished product.

handyandy
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:27 pm

Got the new prop on and set up even higher than before!! Takes off great and still runs 30mph. I just hope it carries the load well come hunting season. It's a Solas HR-4 15 pitch.

gearhead80
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:30 pm

ALso got my cordura on the blind frame too. Motor is off the boat waiting for paint. Hatches made and painted as well.

gearhead80
hunter

Postby Cubman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:08 pm

The blind looks great. Since you raised the motor, where is the prop shaft compared to the bottom of the boat? Do you have a valve on the tunnel vent?
Cubman
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:55 am

Cubman wrote:The blind looks great. Since you raised the motor, where is the prop shaft compared to the bottom of the boat? Do you have a valve on the tunnel vent?

I will have to measure it when I get it back together. But yes the vent is in. When I still ran the 3-blade it eouldn't vent, now with the 4-blade water comes through the tube when going fast and I haven't had an issue losing water with it.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby deadplumptrout » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Looks good. Is your blind stationary or can it fold down i really like those doors.
deadplumptrout
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:31 am

deadplumptrout wrote:Looks good. Is your blind stationary or can it fold down i really like those doors.

The hatches come off easy and the blind goes up and down very easy. When the new paint finally dries I will get mor pics up.
gearhead80
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds