My FIRST layout boat build

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

My FIRST layout boat build

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:18 pm

Alright I decided to build my own! I found a set of plans for a KARA hummer boat and it looks fairly easy to build and its exactly what I want! I have a few friends lined up to help me and hopefully it'll be done in a few weeks as I work a full time job. Being 18 this is my first real (big) carpentry project, but I have lots of experience with metal projects... so maybe that'll help some!

I plan to build the boat per plans, with a few modifications such as a more square rear/ transom on it to maximize some space for the battery. then Paint it a brownish/ green with some cat tail stripes. As well I'm keeping receipts of everything I buy to build the boat with.

So lets get to work! :hammer:
So far I have bought the plans, motor, and a few misc. things to get started.
Minn Kota trolling motor and Everstart Maxx marine battery- $70 (craigslist! :hi: )
KARA boat plans- $37
Misc. things from Harbor freight- $7
I should have the rest of the material as soon as the plans show up so I know what I'll need!

any tips and tricks will be GREATLY helpful and appreciated!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Re: My FIRST layout boat build

Postby hunth2ofowl » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:07 am

You will really enjoy the kara - I have hunted out of them and owned one at one point. Be prepared for the weight - if you have a small trailer it should be fine. Saw a guy who used a clear coat over camo netting to camo his boat - pretty cool.

Lots of websites and forums with people to help...If I am not mistaken, the plans originated here in MO. There have been several versions of forums here. It started with the Conservation department, then they gave it up and at one point, it was called the Conservation Cafe, but that too soon died out. Now, many of those who used to build the Kara use: Cafeoutdoors.com There are several on there who might be able to help you. Most of the boat forum is like a ghost town, but those who are still around have built many Karas.
hunth2ofowl
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:20 am

Whats the final cost gonna be?
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:37 am

hunth2ofowl wrote:You will really enjoy the kara - I have hunted out of them and owned one at one point. Be prepared for the weight - if you have a small trailer it should be fine. Saw a guy who used a clear coat over camo netting to camo his boat - pretty cool.

Lots of websites and forums with people to help...If I am not mistaken, the plans originated here in MO. There have been several versions of forums here. It started with the Conservation department, then they gave it up and at one point, it was called the Conservation Cafe, but that too soon died out. Now, many of those who used to build the Kara use: Cafeoutdoors.com There are several on there who might be able to help you. Most of the boat forum is like a ghost town, but those who are still around have built many Karas.

No worries about the weight I've got an old boat trailr I'm thinking about fixing up for it or buy a jetski trailer a little later down the road

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:59 am

rivercountry wrote:Whats the final cost gonna be?

Not sure yet as I haven't got everything yet, but being realistic its looking like it can be done for less than $400. And being 18 and getting some performance work done on my hunting truck at the same time I'm going to shoot for less than $350 for the boat

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby greddy_dan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:08 am

I have built several karas over the years i love hunting out of them but they are heavy. You can get where the birds want to be and hide in just about anything. It will cost me around 400 or so to build one.
greddy_dan
Newb

Postby MissedAgain » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:11 pm

DON'T skimp on the boat - you are going to put about 100 hours into building something that can rot if you use cheap wood or bad resin. Consider epoxy resin.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:39 pm

MissedAgain wrote:DON'T skimp on the boat - you are going to put about 100 hours into building something that can rot if you use cheap wood or bad resin. Consider epoxy resin.

defiantly not cheaping out on this build as I am going to rely on this boat mainly for transportation in the marsh and hauling decoys, another hunter, and other gear.

I have been looking at US copisite's 635 medium setting epoxy..... but how does say spray paint stick to it?

but 100 hrs? everybody I've seen talk about their time to build was ~32-50hrs for this boat, but I dont really care about how long it takes as long as its done before season! most week nights I'll be working on it and at least a full day every weekend until it's done!

also just got a new prop for the trolling motor as the one on it was a little chewed up from rocks......... got a 314 Kipawa for it! LOL not sure if I should include that in the boat build price.........

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby gupsy2083 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:59 pm

keep up the posts and post lots of pictures
The best thing in life besides a good wife is, when the sun is coming up, and the feet are down...
gupsy2083
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:17 pm

gupsy2083 wrote:keep up the posts and post lots of pictures

I plan to! :thumbsup:

hopefully we'll even get some pics of it in the water and some ducks on it! I have a feeling that its going to be very rewarding!

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:07 pm

so far I have cleaned out a space in my basement shop (mmm still ~65* in there when its 105* outside :hi: ) to work on it and dug out the tools I'll be using before they go buried under all the crap while I was cleaning. and the motor!

sorry for the uber crappy quick cell pic!

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:47 pm

Alrighty, the plans came in! so off to get materials!

the plans are for a 14ft Kara hummer but I think I am going to modify it some to see if I cant get it in the 12ft range and square off the transom!

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:07 pm

just spent $120.35 in glassing supplies, so far the total cost is $235.35......... just need the wood and a few other small misc. things. :hammer:

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:53 am

spent $156.92 on wood, hardware, and a few other things like sandpaper and sanding belts for the belt sander, would have been $172 but my brother got me a military discount with his ID. now the only thing I need to buy now is metal for the runners, a handle or 2, and paint. getting wood was a real headache, as my local lowes sucks for selection and quality wood.

so we're at a total of $392.27 with the motor...... still under $400! whoo hooo! but I'd imagine we'll go to $440 by the time i get paint.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:11 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:spent $156.92 on wood, hardware, and a few other things like sandpaper and sanding belts for the belt sander, would have been $172 but my brother got me a military discount with his ID. now the only thing I need to buy now is metal for the runners, a handle or 2, and paint. getting wood was a real headache, as my local lowes sucks for selection and quality wood.

so we're at a total of $392.27 with the motor...... still under $400! whoo hooo! but I'd imagine we'll go to $440 by the time i get paint.

What type of water will you be hunting with your KARA? I only ask because I was thinking about putting runners on mine and was told if I was going to be paddling or poling it, that it would be a pain with runners. I have a trolling motor on mine but after seeing the weight it adds I won't be using it because I don't have a trailer for it yet mainly. Most of my public hunting spots are all man power only, so it wasn't a hard decision to make. It paddles almost as good as my canoe, and poles like a dream. You are going to enjoy it and keep the pictures coming!
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby Griffin4590 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:27 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:so far I have cleaned out a space in my basement shop (mmm still ~65* in there when its 105* outside :hi: )

65 is on the cool side for glassing. it can deff be done but warm is good for glass work
Griffin4590
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:30 pm

ericrhaynes wrote:
2500hdon37s wrote:spent $156.92 on wood, hardware, and a few other things like sandpaper and sanding belts for the belt sander, would have been $172 but my brother got me a military discount with his ID. now the only thing I need to buy now is metal for the runners, a handle or 2, and paint. getting wood was a real headache, as my local lowes sucks for selection and quality wood.

What type of water will you be hunting with your KARA? I only ask because I was thinking about putting runners on mine and was told if I was going to be paddling or poling it, that it would be a pain with runners. I have a trolling motor on mine but after seeing the weight it adds I won't be using it because I don't have a trailer for it yet mainly. Most of my public hunting spots are all man power only, so it wasn't a hard decision to make. It paddles almost as good as my canoe, and poles like a dream. You are going to enjoy it and keep the pictures coming!

I'll be hunting lots of different water. from my own duck lake (2 1/2ft at most), public places (all allow motors), and a few deeper pot holes off in the river bottoms next to the MO river.

I just started cutting wood today so pics will soon follow!

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:31 pm

Griffin4590 wrote:
2500hdon37s wrote:so far I have cleaned out a space in my basement shop (mmm still ~65* in there when its 105* outside :hi: )

65 is on the cool side for glassing. it can deff be done but warm is good for glass work

yea, its warmed up a little as we've had the door open some for more light. but its a nice retreat from the heat and still be able to work on it! :wink:

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:46 pm

I finally got a great start on it! hard to see in the pictures but so far I ripped the keel and gunnels to the proper width, cut out the nose piece (still unsure on how I'm going to make the rear), and cut the 44" and 40" ribs, along with the plunge cuts in the ribs. I am also pre-bending the keel and gunnels as you can see in the left of the pic.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:47 pm

dang sorry for the huge pic! you cant even see it all! photobucket quit letting me downsize them so much! :oops:

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:31 pm

That pic is tiny lol.

I would just end the back after the last rib in the cockpit.

Like this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gese422TNbk
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:46 pm

ericrhaynes wrote:That pic is tiny lol.

:huh: on my screen you cant even see all the pic. but my plans for the stern/ transom are a little diffrent as I'm going for a tit over 12ft for the total length, so I have a few ideas for the transom, but I do like that idea!

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:49 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:
ericrhaynes wrote:That pic is tiny lol.

:huh: on my screen you cant even see all the pic. but my plans for the stern/ transom are a little diffrent as I'm going for a tit over 12ft for the total length, so I have a few ideas for the transom, but I do like that idea!

I know I made the cockpit on mine much bigger than the norm. Mine is 8ft long and 44 in wide to leave room for the dog and decoys.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:07 pm

I think I'm going keep the 7ft cockpit like the plans, I dont have a dog and dont plan to for a while (at least not until me and the gf move in together) and I think I should be able to stow some things under the bow so that'll save some room and keep the boat planed out somewhat. also i can use the top of the bow for decoys if need be..... but I usually never hunt more than 3-6doz decoys.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Griffin4590 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:12 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:I think I'm going keep the 7ft cockpit like the plans, I dont have a dog and dont plan to for a while (at least not until me and the gf move in together) and I think I should be able to stow some things under the bow so that'll save some room and keep the boat planed out somewhat. also i can use the top of the bow for decoys if need be..... but I usually never hunt more than 3-6doz decoys.

this is a good call. You can put eyelets in on the outside of the bow cover and bungie a bag of decoys up there and still have room for more in the cockpit. I carried 7 dozen deeks and a dog in a hybrid with a 6' cockpit. It can be done
Griffin4590
hunter

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds