Aluminum Duck Boat Build

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: Aluminum Duck Boat Build

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:40 pm

Tanner01 wrote:What kind of noise or vibration with a motor like that.

Make no mistake about it, mudmotors and outboards are nothing alike...a motor like that will sound similar to a loud lawnmower, and give off a fair amount of vibration.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby Joel » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:20 pm

That is one of the coolest homemade boats ever.
Makes me want to try to build one how much money
In just the boat
make sure you scrach my Cooder, tickle my Cricket and feed Jake <thats my pups>
Joel
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:31 am

5 sheets of 1/8" aluminum is what I should have used but I made a few mistakes along the way. I used some left over aluminum for the bow deck which was .090. With the expanding foam under it it is rock solid. It was a tough to weld the .090 to the 1/8"

Aluminum 5 sheets 60x120x.125- $920.00
Consumables for the welder and grinding wheels - $145.00
Foam 4lb Density two part 25lbs - $258.00
3/8" plywood for floor plus pink foam board-
Hatch covers from Cabellas
Lights
Latches
Hinges
Paint / Deck rubberized coating
Stencil kit
Motor
Handles
Misc screws and parts

Cost as a minimum is listed above. I could have saved money by building all of my own covers, I will do this on the next one. It was faster just to buy them but the covers are pricey from Cabellas or West Marine.
I would go with aluminum in the next one for the floor instead of the plywood, and use the Max-4 Pads from Styx River for comfort and noise reduction.
I used 5'x10' sheets because I could burn them on the plasma machine and handle them after hours by myself. Not worried about strength (they don't build ocean liners out of one piece of metal) but there is a slight weld ripple or seam that is noticeable where I pieced it together.
I would build a jig or strong-back for any boat in the future and recheck all dimensions prior to burning or cutting out of the parts.

Hours building - about 48 not including just sitting and staring at it, planning the next move. :huh: and I still have a few odds and ends.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:13 am

Trying to get both boats registered as homemade so I can put some motors on them, but duck season is here so we took out the two layout boats. We had to travel about an hour 1/2 to get where we were going and ended up the third group in. The island was taken, the good point on the other side was taken and if we could not have hunted out of the new boats we would of had to go home. This was the first time I have ever hunted out of a layout boat and other than falling asleep and waking up to gunfire :rolleyes: I don't think I will ever hunt on shore in the mud again.
Attachments
BB3_1.JPG
The BB3 and the smaller layout boat
BB3_3.JPG
first bird, first retrieve, first hunt out of new layout boat. Life is good
BB_6.jpg
BB3_2.JPG
Built them to double stack in the truck
BB_4.JPG
blind completed just need to add natural cover
Last edited by Tanner01 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:24 am

Still working on the BB3 blind. I will be hunting mostly the river in that boat and the plan is that I will be along the river bank edge 90% of the time. I started with the Beaver tail 1400 flip blind top. I have modified that on a light frame that I built and I am going to add Camo fabric to the front of it. I am going to make it adjustable so I can shrink or enlarge the opening that we shoot out of. Because it is a flip top it should work out very well for the type of hunting I am planning on doing. The best part is that I will be able to put the blind on at the ramp and run the boat with it folded down (or at least out of the way enough to see) Will post some pics next week.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:26 pm

Finally decided on a motor for the boat. I went with a 15 HP 4 stroke with the shallow water pick up. I can actually run the motor with the prop higher than the bottom of the boat with plenty of water still cooling the motor. Not a lot of speed in that mode but it worked well.
With me and one dog, speed down river was 23.4 MPH and up river 20.2 MPH by handheld GPS. I am sure once fully loaded I will lose that planning speed. The motor was a compromise. I wanted a motor that was good on gas, enough power to counter any current, able to get into what ever the boat could float in ( it is drafting 5.5" right now) and most important in my price range. I never expected that kind of speed with just a 15HP. I would have been happy with 10MPH. :grooving:
Dropped of the blind to be adjusted and just waiting to get it back from the upholstery shop.
Saw a lot of birds on the river during the test run. Cant wait to hunt out of the boat.
I hope river hunting is good as I have built it up in my mind to be. I have mostly hunted the backwater ponds and swamps of my area. I haven't gotten anything other than woodies and a couple of mallards in years.
Any insight into river hunting out of a boat.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby blackrhino » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:39 pm

I hunt out of a fiberglass boat like yours. Mine is 13.5' and 68" wide.With me and my gear it runs 25 mph with a 18 hp Copperhead. That motor might be a good match for your boat too. Would also stop the weed problem you have with a outboard.
Duck'n ain't easy!
blackrhino
hunter

Postby Ithaca33 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:36 pm

dear God I need to learn how to weld!

I hunt lots of coastlines along the long island sound and while my marsh rat is very capable in calm waters, an aluminum boat like the second you built would be an absolute monster where I hunt.

PLEASE let me know if youd ever consider building one to sell.
Ithaca33
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:20 pm

Extremely impressive! This boat is very similar to the Phowler sneak boat. If you put a 18 hp copperhead or Dixie MM you will def plane out with you gear and a dog, but it might be too big. A 12 hp surface drive should be plenty for this beast. I believe the standard thickness for a transom that can handle a MM is .93, but you should be fine as you are limited to smaller motors anyway
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:33 am

This is the boat with the blind set up. I used a beavertail 1400 flip top in max-4 for the top and adjusted it to fit the opening. I had a upholstery shop cut the blind material down and resew to the correct size. They did a great job. I then sewed some material for the front and rear curtains and made a motor cover. For the front I used some camo 3-d fabric from Cabellas again in Max-4 Advantage.

I was unsure if it would blend in well enough but when a duck dropped in on top of us and splashed water onto the boat from about 5 feet away and we have ducks swimming into our spread from down river,I think it hides well enough. Like a lot of people say its about hiding any movement more than anything else.

Real happy - blinds sets up in under five minutes and comes down in half that time. Quick, easy and simple. I can operate the boat or trailer it with the blind in place.
Best of all it seems to work.
Attachments
dp26.jpg
dp27.jpg
Four mallards Two teals
Tanner01
hunter

Postby gawaterfowler » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:59 pm

would you sell either boat?
gawaterfowler
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:28 pm

Nice boats and good job. I wouldn't put too much stock in all the hype about selling either one tho. First they'll beg then beat you up on price and then back out because they dont have the money or it's too far a drive. Been there, done that and NO more. Again, great job... :thumbsup:
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby duckhunternewbie » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:19 pm

Awesome build! Looks great!
duckhunternewbie
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:30 am

Thanks for the kind comments. I joke about selling one but I love the Black Brant III too much to ever get rid of it. It has turned out to be the best duck hunting platform I have ever used and works perfectly for the river. I thought that a V-bottom might be to unstable or draft to much but 6" is fine and with the shallow water pick up on the motor I can glide over most anything and not worry about the prop hitting. The boat is extremely stable because of where the water level lies.

I did share my plans for the small boat with a few people that sent a PM.

I gave away one of the first two layout boats to the guy I hunt with, if it wasn't for him I probably wouldn't be so into it, he is a good guy to go with, no whining, no excuses, and easy going on the water. Plus he brings the coffee and food. :smile:

I am starting boat number 4 another Devlin design called a Blue Bill. I am building this one as a layout boat for me and my dog, similar to the first two I built just a little bigger with the intent to use it in bigger water. I will post a few pics.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby Auxillary » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:38 pm

Incredible job boss! I love your Griffon too!
Auxillary
hunter

Postby JustStartin' » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:17 pm

What kind of welding did you do? Mig, tig or stick? Curious cuz I'm thinking on building one
JustStartin'
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:37 pm

I use a mig welder set up for aluminum. machine has time settings for pulse and a push pull gun.

I bought a tig welder a few years ago and taught myself to weld aluminum with the intent of building a boat. Tig welding for me is very slow,nice quality welds just takes me forever.

First boat I used a spool gun on a Millermatic 250 after I got tired of tig welding.

I weld all joints inside and out. If I don't like the way the weld looks on the outside I will grind it down. So far I have not had a single leak doing it this way. I am careful to prep all of the joints properly.

Never welded more than a few feet of aluminum before I built a boat.

Actually spent a few hours working on a new boat today. Welded about 60 feet of seams. Took about 2.5 hours with the prep time.
Tanner01
hunter

Previous

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds