Yet another new blind build. (Completed 11/12/13)

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Yet another new blind build. (Completed 11/12/13)

Postby canderso » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:19 pm

Here is what I have done so far. Four bars of 3/4" EMT conduit bent to the shape of the gunwhales. This actually took 8 10' sections of conduit. I had to weld the joint together. I slipped in a 1/2" piece of EMT conduit into the joint. I used about an 8-10" piece then welded around.

Next up were the 7/8" black Nylon bimini fittings. I sanded some of them on a spindle sander and the others I used a Dremel with a sanding drum. Didn't take much work, and made them snug enough that they had to be encouraged to go all the way into the fitting.

I have been playing with different height for each of the bars when they are pulled up into position. I will use pieces of 2" Nylon webbing to set the distance apart from each bar and the top of the gunwhale. That way, you can grab a piece of 2" webbing with a plastic buckle on it and clip the top bars together. This will also allow an easy break down.

I have included some pics for your viewing pleasure.

Let me know what you think.

Next up is to fit the fabric on and maybe some light brushing. Trying to keep this as light and simple as possible. I am thinking about making up some small panels to drpe between the top bars to break down the large rectangle that would be seen from above.
Last edited by canderso on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Yet another new blind build.

Postby lamboicon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:28 pm

The blind looks good. Where did you get the tripod chairs from.
lamboicon
hunter

Re: Yet another new blind build.

Postby gawaterfowler » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:54 pm

Where did you get the hinges. I am building a blind similar to this now
gawaterfowler
hunter

Postby canderso » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:25 pm

lamboicon wrote:The blind looks good. Where did you get the tripod chairs from.

The blind stools are from Tanglefree. They re pretty good chairs. Heavy, as they are made from steal. Fairly comfortable and adjustable height wise. That works out for my hunting friends that are vertically challenged.
canderso
hunter

Postby canderso » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:26 pm

gawaterfowler wrote:Where did you get the hinges. I am building a blind similar to this now

The bimini fittings were from Overton's. I believe they were about $3.00 per pair. They are Nylon, which I hope stands up to the cold winters in the NE.
canderso
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:46 pm

Blind looks good. I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble with the hinges getting cold. From the pictures they look a lot like the hinges most layout blinds use anymore, and of all the things I've managed to break on a layout blind the hinges aren't one.
tywhite87
hunter

Postby FFT » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Blind looks great, I just order from CSC and hunterdesign. Im gonna rig up an excel. Hey, is that a pigeon box in the yard?
FFT
hunter

Postby canderso » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:26 am

FFT wrote:Blind looks great, I just order from CSC and hunterdesign. Im gonna rig up an excel. Hey, is that a pigeon box in the yard?

Good eye FFT. I keep pigeons during the spring and summer. Any "leftovers" get released in the fall for good behavior.

I have been thinking of getting rid of the pigeon house. The neighbors don't mind as I don't fly them. I generally trap or have friends that trap feral pigeons. I have kept Chukars in there too. I enjoy the Chukars, they make some really neat clucking noises and seem to talk at my Setter when she is in the back yard.

I have the old windproof/waterproof fabric from my old Avcery quickset. Last year, I ordered some 600d Cordura from Hunter's Designs. I bought some TruTimber Concealment brown fabric. It is way darker than the backdrop we would normally encounter in the Coastal Zone. But it is a lot lighter than the Avery Fabric and is still supposed to be windproof and waterproof.
canderso
hunter

Postby WBH » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:48 am

Looks good, I especially like how you contoured the frame to the shape of the gunwales! I did the same thing on a buddies 20' War Eagle when I built his Avery Quickset. It makes it very sturdy for travel when on trailer or when were hunting the sound and it turns from mill pond to ohh sheeeeet sit down and hold on this might hurt a little. :biggrin:
WBH
hunter

Postby canderso » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:28 am

The curves were definitely partof the, "custom fit to the boat." Got to practice using the conduit bender, which turns out to be not so hard.

I wanted to limit the height of the blind anyway, but the width of the boat, certainly determined the maximum possible height of the blind based on the hinge design and location.

Hoping to get to some of the fabric/cloth this week. Can't determine how I want to secure it down to the boat. Thinking zip ties for now. The top is secured with two pieces of two inch webbing and plastic buckles. I can't believe how easy it is to set up now. Even with one person. The blind comes up, gets buckled, then you can move to the other end and buckle the second strap. Works really nice. I will see if the weight of everything will determine the need for another buckle towards the center of the bars.

Also trying to keep this blind as light as possible due to the sides only being 20" high. I use this boat to hunt divers in the bay, but would really like a little more freeboard. I would feel much more comfortable with another 8" of side height. Other than that, the hull runs great and offers a very dry ride.
canderso
hunter

Postby FFT » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:06 pm

canderso wrote:
FFT wrote:Blind looks great, I just order from CSC and hunterdesign. Im gonna rig up an excel. Hey, is that a pigeon box in the yard?

Good eye FFT. I keep pigeons during the spring and summer. Any "leftovers" get released in the fall for good behavior.

I have been thinking of getting rid of the pigeon house. The neighbors don't mind as I don't fly them. I generally trap or have friends that trap feral pigeons. I have kept Chukars in there too. I enjoy the Chukars, they make some really neat clucking noises and seem to talk at my Setter when she is in the back yard.

I have the old windproof/waterproof fabric from my old Avcery quickset. Last year, I ordered some 600d Cordura from Hunter's Designs. I bought some TruTimber Concealment brown fabric. It is way darker than the backdrop we would normally encounter in the Coastal Zone. But it is a lot lighter than the Avery Fabric and is still supposed to be windproof and waterproof.

Im excited to see the end result, Im going to steal your idea of bending the tubing to the contour of the boat. Im going with another layout blind, as much of the marsh is only 36" tall. If you ever want to get rid of the bird box, please let me know. Ive got some hommers that I work with for the dog. When they pair up I wil need a second box for the chicks. Are you going to drive east and hunt with us this fall? John
FFT
hunter

Postby canderso » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:20 pm

John, PM sent.

More photos to come.
canderso
hunter

Postby Remman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:46 pm

looks very nice, its not to tall or box looking like most blinds nice job, please post more pics :thumbsup:
There is no such thing as a stranger,....... Just friends I haven't met!

"Failure isn't not knowing how to post a picture. Failure is doing it twice and then catching a wise attitude about it."....... Paul D
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby creechcw » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:37 pm

What kind of boat is that? brand/size
creechcw
hunter

Postby canderso » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:58 am

It is a 2002 Alumacraft Waterfowler 1650.
canderso
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:44 am

canderso wrote:It is a 2002 Alumacraft Waterfowler 1650.

Nice. I especially like the camo paint job, looks military.
TomKat
Dorothy

Re: Yet another new blind build. (Updated 09/23/2012)

Postby canderso » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:47 pm

Got some updated pics. I painted the blind frame tan or khaki, which ever you prefer.

Then fitted a camo tarp from Harbor Freight. I am a bit sceptical on the longevity of this, but it was cheap and is much lighter than the other fabrics I had. I figure if it makes it through the one season, I will be happy.

Then I fitted the military die cut camo. Once the tarp and the die cut were zip tied on, I cut the bottom. It is probably still a little long, but I will wait to see it on the water for some final trimming.

Then I set the blind down to see how it would fold and lay on the gunwhales. I discovered my pile of raffia grass waiting to go back on the netting. That looks like it is going to take a while and quite a few zip ties along the way!

This is the plan for putting the raffia on the blind this year. Like I said, I think this is going to take a few evenings. Take a piece of cardboard about 6-8" long. Wrap a couple of strands of raffia around the cardboard. The pinch one end and cut the loops on the other end. Kind of like making a broom. Then zip tie the top of the raffia randomly to the camo netting. Repeat for the next 25lbs of raffia.

After adding a few staggered layers of grass, the density begins to build up. Starting to look like a mound of cut hay, straw or a pile of dried grass.
canderso
hunter

Postby tod0987 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:19 pm

I use that exact same tarp from HF to cover the boat when in the yard to keep water out and carpet preserved. I filled 6 2" pvc 12" long with concrete to keep the tarp taught and clip them on the sides.

If you can leave it in sun the shine will fade away. That said when under tension the points under stress rot the fastest. I buy them on sale at 29x19' and get two pieces to cover the boat (1752MV). That said I'm on my 2nd tarp, 4th piece since last November. For your use being slack and not under constant tension they should last all season no problem. I did test out spray paint on them. I'd say 60-75% of the paint sticks after a few months of taking it on/off.

I've kept my old pieces to do just what you have done as a backer... Just cant decide what to do out front. I like yours so far.

Tod
tod0987
hunter

Postby usmc2220 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:29 pm

this is probably a dumb question but I've never used those types of fittings... how does the blind stay in the upright position? How solid is this compared to a beavertail with emt tubing? I got one of those and not a fan... thinking of building one like this with a taller tube that'll clear over my head to protect from weather and hide from circling ducks.
usmc2220
hunter

Postby canderso » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:10 pm

The blind stays up by two 2" pieces of black webbing and plastic buckles. I am considering a third, but will have to see if it is needed based on weight and location of gunners. I typically hunt three in the boat. My son (11y.o.) sits in the bow on the low deck. I usually sit in the middle and a friend sits next to the rear bench. Right now, it is set to stay open at the top for see ducks. I am making extra panels that will drape over the two top bars at the front, rear, and between each of the hunters. This should keep the big black rectangle, as seen from the sky, to a minimum. My son and I also wear camo hats with some grass tied to them. Sit still and the divers don't seem to mind. If we are hunting puddlers, I can close the top tighter or drape a larger panel over most of the boat and sit down lower inside the blind.

I cannot say how it compares to the Beavertail products. I have never seen them upclose and personal. Perhaps someone with knowledge on that can chime in.

Got some more grassing done tonight. I about halfway done with the port side.

canderso
hunter

Postby tod0987 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:36 pm

Following this closely. How much raffia do you think it wil take? Say 30 lbs? I hunt a river where it is mostly timber and thinking of using it and dying it shades of dark brown, gray, and olive since most other manufactured grasses/grass sheets are too bright.

Keep the pictures coming

Thanks!!!

Tod
Last edited by tod0987 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tod0987
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:49 pm

Looks good! :thumbsup: You did a very nice and clean job with the emt. Better than I did on mine!

My nylon netting came in today so I can get my cordura sewn up with the netting then grass up the boat! I will have to take some pics of my blind and post them up. Like FFt, I am doing a lower profile blind. Right now the roof is 18 inches over the gunnels.
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby tod0987 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:11 pm

Canderso how's the blind coming?

Tod
tod0987
hunter

Postby canderso » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:22 pm

Tod-

I have been making progress. Slow, but progress. The left side is almost done. Here are a couple of photos from tonight.

I bought 25lbs of raffia from JStern last year when I was using the Avery Quickset blind. I kept all of the grass and am just repurposing it for this build. I don't think I will use much more than half of it. Total, I am hoping to use about 15lbs of the grass.

Besides grassing, I need to make a couple of cover to drape over the top and I need to figure out where I am going to cut two holes for dog windows in the right side of the blind.
canderso
hunter

Postby tod0987 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:35 pm

Thanks It's looking awesome :thumbsup:

I'm hoping that everything arrives by late this week and I can begin. I've done a lot of looking and like the shorter piece approach that you're using vs 3-4' lenghts. I'm hoping the shorter pices will also help with rolling it up and storage. Less chance of it taking a set. We'll see.
tod0987
hunter

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds