Yet another new blind build. (Completed 11/12/13)

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: Yet another new blind build. (Completed 10/30/12)

Postby AJCsurf » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:20 pm

subscribe! :thumbsup:
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby cbrauly » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:21 pm

This post is very helpful for my new blind build. Thank you.
cbrauly
hunter

Yet another new blind build. (Completed 10/30/12)

Postby Russ-n-Brazoria » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:32 pm

Our take on canderso's great idea. Worked like a champ last year
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383017295.036047.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383017425.965382.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383017520.320312.jpg
Russ-n-Brazoria
hunter

Postby canderso » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:59 pm

Glad to be of help guys. It kind of caught me by surprise to take a look at this thread and then see that it was my build from last year!

I cannot take credit for the design of the blind though. It was done from the accumulated knowledge of this site and lots of blind builds posted here before me.

As well all tend to do, we build, then we tweak, then we rebuild, etc . . .always seeking the perfect blind. My son said that he wanted to chase more puddlers this year. So we decided to enclose the top a little more. We made some modifications from last year.

Here are a few updated pics:

At this point it is completely grassed up again, but I don't have the most current photos loaded. Three people can sit in the lower area of the boat. I made the rear bench smaller to accommodate three hunters on the main floor. A dog can sit up on the front low casting deck and a second dog can sit or lay on the rear bench. The front flips forward to shoot. You must shoot from a seated position. This may or may not prove to be good. Time will tell.

We made up additional grassed up camo sections to cover holes that are not being used by hunters or dogs. If it is just my son and I, we can cover the middle hole. If we want to cover the dog hole, we can do that and then just pull it out of the way when we send the dog for the retrieve.

Should prove to be a fun year and another year of learning.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Postby Russ-n-Brazoria » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:21 am

Dag-nabit man you out did yourself again!:lol:! If I had the room and floor space I'd try that but I'm limited with a riveted 14' Jon boat. I ever get a bigger Jon I might have to see what I can do ;)
Russ-n-Brazoria
hunter

Postby canderso » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:34 am

Here is a more updated picture with most of the grass done. All of the grass is done on the boat. Now we need to locate the long grasses that we will bundle and add strategically to the boat to break up the top outline.

canderso
hunter

Postby vacuum6 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:03 am

this blind is one of the best I have seen. I have built several and did not like any of mine. since my discontent with my own dysfunctional blinds would appear to be issues you have dealt with, I have a few questions. What I don't like with my blinds is the strap set up to hold the blind up...I hate those straps....and bungees are a total disaster. I also want to be able to hold up one side at a time. How are you doing that? Straps? I currently am using 2 x 4 wood with notches that fit over the gunnel and into the top horizontal emt frame. not totally happy with that. The other issue is the method of attaching the bottom of the blind to the boat so that it does not flap in the wind and/or hang into the water when picking up decoys or down birds. Does that rope running from bow to stern work? I hunt alone and setting up a blind without an extra pair of hands has brought up some issues. have you come up with any ideas that I might try? you do good work! my stuff, and many of the poorly thought out contraptions I have seen posted here are just flat out embarrassing and dysfunctional. On a related topic, I would like to see a bankes blind setup in person. I think I could learn something from that. I have never seen a Bankes Goliath except in magazines. Does anyone have some pictures of how the Bankes blind works and sets up?
vacuum6
hunter

Postby canderso » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:25 pm

Thanks for the compliment.

I am at duck camp for another couple of days. This is our first split, which has given me time to work a few kinks out and figure out exactly how to shoot comfortably out of the blind. I will have some pics from the hunt with the blind in action. Some areas were too muddy to get out to take a picture of the boat from a distance. I managed a couple.

The blind is held up by 2straps. One is in the front and one is in the rear. The blind only requires one guy to set up. You can tilt the framers frame up into position from the rear, then clip the straps together. I use the 2" nylon webbing and plastic buckle like what's on a water belt. Once the rear is locked in, I walk to the front a clip it. The front is added reinforcement. I would be confident that the rear strap is enought to hold the blind in place under most circumstances. The front blind frame tilts back once you are seated. As you tilt it into position you flip over a little additional grass covered webbing to cover the rear deck and up the side of the motor.

So far it has been my son and I to hunt out of it. We have adjusted the blind long the length of the hole to get rid of the three black holes. It is pretty we'll broken up with loose grass hanging along the length of the opening. We found the two dogs can sit between us and when they sit, they can see right out of the opening. They are pleased to see and have a little breeze blowing in their face. For now, we have been throwing an extra piece of webbing over the gunwhale to recover the registration numbers and the big orange sticker.

As far as the rope preventing the flapping. . .yes. It works great. We were hunting a couple of days ago in 17-20mph winds. The blind never flapped. It stayed in position the whole time and we were quite warm inside just from the body heat of 2 guys and 2 dogs.

Hopefully I will remember to post pics later this week.

As far as Bankes boats. Their blinds are pretty slick. Take a look at their website (www.bankesboats.com). look their selection of boats. Each one has an associated YouTube video. Several of them show the actual blind being setup and taken down to give you a real good idea of how it works.
canderso
hunter

Postby duckweed » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:42 am

canderso wrote:Here is a more updated picture with most of the grass done. All of the grass is done on the boat. Now we need to locate the long grasses that we will bundle and add strategically to the boat to break up the top outline.

How big is this boat. I am thinking of doing something similar on a 14' flatbottom. Think it would work?
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby FFT » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:39 am

Chad, You have done an excellent job on this one! Post back some results, Im sure you will be getting the birds with their feet down!
FFT
hunter

Re: Yet another new blind build. (Completed 11/12/13)

Postby canderso » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:41 pm

Duckweed - The boat is an Alumacraft 1650 Waterfowler. Overall length is 16', width of floor 50", width at gunwhale is about 72", and height of sides are 20". This type of blind would definitely work on a 14'er. Keep your weight on the center line. Big thing to keep in mind is, you are sitting down low to shoot. That takes some getting used to. If you are a layout hunter, then it should be no problem getting used to it.

FFT- Thanks Jon. A little more work from last years blind. The great thing is learning from your mistakes and making changes to adapt to the situation. I typically was hunting 3 guys and 2 dogs. So far, I have been only hunting my son and I, plus our two dogs. It is still hard to leave my Setter at home when she is so bird crazy. But I picked up a Chessie this past March to handle the cold hunts. With my son and I, and the two pups, we have plenty of room and we can draft a lot less. We hunted for a week of this November split and had Black ducks landing right in front of is. My son took his first black duck as she was feet down, 10' away. Talk about putting a smile on my face!

Looking out of the blind.

From a distance.

From closer.

Another view from inside.

From the front.

canderso
hunter

Re: Yet another new blind build. (Completed 11/12/13)

Postby FFT » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:38 pm

You nailed it. Black ducks at ten feet confirms that you've built a good blind. Good luck with everything.
FFT
hunter

Yet another new blind build. (Completed 11/12/13)

Postby Russ-n-Brazoria » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:39 am

duckweed wrote:How big is this boat. I am thinking of doing something similar on a 14' flatbottom. Think it would work?

The pics I posted in the thread duckweed is my 14' Jon boat using this thread as a reference;)
Russ-n-Brazoria
hunter

Previous

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds