LED Camo Light Bar by Baja Designs

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: LED Camo Light Bar by Baja Designs

Postby carolinagreenhead » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:29 pm

mudpack wrote:If the light requires a six-pound finned heat dissipater, there must be some additional amps being wasted (turned into heat instead of into light). Since LED's produce no heat in operation, I'm guessing there must be some inverter in the unit that puts out a lot of heat. How much amperage draw is actually going on? I know the lights are rated at 126A, but that has to be only a portion of the overall draw.
How many volts do the LED's operate on? Are you bumping the 12DC going into the unit up to something higher going into the LED's themselves?
I'm impressed with the light output, but concerned about a few other things. Hope this product finds a steady market.

I'm not an electrical engineer so I have no idea. All I know is its 126w and 10500 lumens.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby Erich_870 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:00 pm

mudpack wrote:If the light requires a six-pound finned heat dissipater, there must be some additional amps being wasted (turned into heat instead of into light). Since LED's produce no heat in operation, I'm guessing there must be some inverter in the unit that puts out a lot of heat. How much amperage draw is actually going on? I know the lights are rated at 126A, but that has to be only a portion of the overall draw.
How many volts do the LED's operate on? Are you bumping the 12DC going into the unit up to something higher going into the LED's themselves?
I'm impressed with the light output, but concerned about a few other things. Hope this product finds a steady market.

LED's produce heat, just not as much as incandescent bulbs for the same light output.

Erich
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Weed Whacker Boat Motor Build
Erich_870
hunter

Postby aeonstar » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:54 am

The two big problems I see are the 700$ price tag and the lenghth. Yeah you guys build great lights but you want to market to duck hunters and that price is a long ways off IMHO. Why the single row of led's 30" wide. double stacked you could fit the same emitters into a 15" bar that would be a lot more protected.

This is what I run on my airboat on the Colorado river delta. Total cost for this setup is about 350$ two 55 hid converted halogens. And a 20" bar, both from ddm tuning. So far bomb proof and at a fraction of the cost

aeonstar
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:57 am

aeonstar wrote:The two big problems I see are the 700$ price tag and the lenghth. Yeah you guys build great lights but you want to market to duck hunters and that price is a long ways off IMHO. Why the single row of led's 30" wide. double stacked you could fit the same emitters into a 15" bar that would be a lot more protected.

This is what I run on my airboat on the Colorado river delta. Total cost for this setup is about 350$ two 55 hid converted halogens. And a 20" bar, both from ddm tuning. So far bomb proof and at a fraction of the cost

First thing you should know is I am not associated with the company at all. They asked me to put it on the boat and do a review. Free light for me. Part of the review was the price. I totally agree, it's way over priced. I would never buy one on my own. I Can't afford something like that. I am very appreciative that they chose me to give the light to though.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby aeonstar » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:14 pm

CGH my comments were directed at Bajadesigns. :) I am stoked to see a company enter the hunting gear market. I do most of my hunting in Baja how could I not like them :)
aeonstar
hunter

Postby baja designs » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:39 pm

aeonstar wrote:The two big problems I see are the 700$ price tag and the lenghth. Yeah you guys build great lights but you want to market to duck hunters and that price is a long ways off IMHO. Why the single row of led's 30" wide. double stacked you could fit the same emitters into a 15" bar that would be a lot more protected.

Hi Aeonstar
thanks for the response.

There's many other factors to take in account. A 30" like Shawn is running on his boat is over kill for a boat.

We all know how the cost of chinese goods to high quality American goods are be it lights or many other types of products.

Also with high end lights like Baja Designs because of the many unique features that Baja Designs uses to build their bars our smaller bars will outshine larger competitors even double row. One small factor is Baja Designs uses the highest quality latest technology Cree bulbs where as many competitors use a very old bulbs that were introduced in 2000-2005. More LEDs does not at all mean it will be brighter. Also lumens is a very innacurate measure for example take your standard 35w HID light, most common sizes 4", 6" and 8". The bulb itself puts out around 3200 lumens but we all know a 4" light puts out less light then a 6" light and a 8" even more. Whys that? Its because the optic or reflector design. This is a great affect with small/ shallow LED reflectors. Alot of light is lost.

I do agree the cost is higher on American Made lights, but they don't compare in overall brightness, distance, build quality and lifetime warranty.
Baja Designs has been in the lighting industry for over 20 years and always strives to offer customers the highest quality product and is very reasonably priced to other US made lights and lights similar in brightness and will often save the customer money going with smaller high quality bars and still outshining the competition.

Ill post a night photo to show the difference between a double row competitors bar and our new OnX LED light bar.
Let me know if you have any other questions
Sorry about the long post
Thanks
Mike
BD

Mike
BD
7605602252 ext 101
BajaDesigns.com
Mike@bajadesigns.com
baja designs
DHC Sponsor

Postby aeonstar » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:43 pm

There's many other factors to take in account. A 30" like Shawn is running on his boat is over kill for a boat.

Says a man who has never sat in a airboat doing 30 mph over 6" of water and sand bars and trees and junk :) No such thing as to much light!
aeonstar
hunter

Postby baja designs » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:52 am

aeonstar wrote:

Says a man who has never sat in a airboat doing 30 mph over 6" of water and sand bars and trees and junk :) No such thing as to much light!

I have a handful of times :biggrin: I just wanted to make the point that a 30" Bar is not fully necessary. Of course the more light the better but I didn't want guys to feel like a 30" bar is the only thing that would work for them, even the smaller bars will have more light then most other lights guys use.
Mike
BD
7605602252 ext 101
BajaDesigns.com
Mike@bajadesigns.com
baja designs
DHC Sponsor

Postby baja designs » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:35 pm

Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, I will be out of the office till after the new year but if you need anything please feel free to email me or give our sales guys a call 760 560 2252 ext 101

Sale from December 26 - January 2

Shop now for amazing discounts on the only user-serviceable, race-winning LED lights on the planet. Please call or visit your local Authorized Baja Designs retailers to receive this fantastic deal or use this coupon code (CHRISTMAS20 ) on the Baja Designs website to receive 20% Off the OnX, Stealth, and Squadron. Use this code (CHRISTMAS10 ) to receive 10% Off of the SII LED Light.

Codes are only valid for products listed with pricing below, any codes used for other items will be charged MSRP. Offer lasts from 12/26/12 - 1/2/13 Offer can not be combined with forum discount.

Mike
BD
7605602252 ext 101
BajaDesigns.com
Mike@bajadesigns.com
baja designs
DHC Sponsor

Postby Tim McGarry » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:27 am

Awesome products Mike. We will indeed be further evaluating your products to replace the standard 55W halogen lights that are typically installed on the back of all dog trailers.
Tim McGarry
Tim McGarry
hunter

Postby sbpep » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:24 am

the price tag seems a bit high until I think about the money I spent on a shotgun that I may or may not shoot that day depending on my safe arrival to the spot. I'm saving up, if for any other reason than to get my mom to worry less and to save my tail and time on the water.
sbpep
hunter

Postby baja designs » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:32 am

Tim McGarry wrote:Awesome products Mike. We will indeed be further evaluating your products to replace the standard 55W halogen lights that are typically installed on the back of all dog trailers.

Thanks for the post. There is many different options for that type of use and even the smaller lights throw an amazing amount of light!
Mike
BD
7605602252 ext 101
BajaDesigns.com
Mike@bajadesigns.com
baja designs
DHC Sponsor

Postby baja designs » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:35 am

sbpep wrote:the price tag seems a bit high until I think about the money I spent on a shotgun that I may or may not shoot that day depending on my safe arrival to the spot. I'm saving up, if for any other reason than to get my mom to worry less and to save my tail and time on the water.

Your right that's a good way to think about it American Made products are always more then Chinese products but the quality of build and performance is extremely higher and you don't have to worry about it not being there when you need it the most!
Mike
BD
7605602252 ext 101
BajaDesigns.com
Mike@bajadesigns.com
baja designs
DHC Sponsor

Previous

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds