SS. Quacker jack Blind build

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

SS. Quacker jack Blind build

Postby 18javelin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:46 pm

Some before shots. Hoping to work on it over the week and post progress pics ImageImage headed to pops shop to get the welder set up.

Sent from my LGL75C using Tapatalk 2
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Re: SS. Quacker jack Blind build

Postby 18javelin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:21 pm

Gonna get some pics up soon, wanted to get a few steps in before posting however. we made some test welds on the EMT and it looks as though we are going to be able to ARC weld it just have to keep moving off the puddle to keep from burning through. I will do a tutorial on this for guys without wire feed. We have wire Feed however ARC will be easier and faster for myself. Turn the welder down to 1.5 and run a 6011 rod. Bought some Colder running rods 6013s but havent tried them just yet.

Going to use 90s and some coupler to ease up haveing to bend it, added about 30-35 bucks to cost but a bender would have to of been rented or borrowed or guessed.

Going to run the top opening at 28" wide the length of the boat and build some PVC flip tops for it in sections ran through I bolts.

Cant wait to get pops and the Dog in it Come Nov. 24th... Pics to come in a few days. :thumbsup:
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:21 am

Image ends smashed in a vice then welded. U have keep heat on smashed end and wash it onto pipe caution to not get overly hot. Move move move as u weld.

sent by carrier pigeon
18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:24 am

Imagetop rail side one done

sent by carrier pigeon
18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:52 am

Got My canvas Ready and the remainders of my fittings. Had to take a 20X12 Canvas Cut it and fold the edges and Gromet it to zip tie to the blind. Gonna be wind and water proof. This is the HEAVY army canvas.

I Have the frame about done have to get some more couplers last night. Should be ready in a few days. More pics to come Tapatalk isnt loading pics now?

Grassing it up is going to take some time but its huntable without the grass.
18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:29 pm

Imagefront view.

18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:31 pm

Got to put flip tops on it. Built a little tall but can cut height down in legs if needed. Canvas and grass tomorrow after painting frame.

18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:32 pm

Imagewater line to top about 4 feet.

18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:22 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1354483347807.jpg
grassing it up today.

sent from a duck blind somewhere
18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:48 am

18javelin
hunter

Postby canderso » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:58 am

Javelin-

I like the boat hull you are working with. I don't remember from your earlier posts on this project what it is though. What is the year, make and model of the boat?

Looks to be a decent design. Let us know how it works out. I redid my blind this past summer. Been hunting out of it. Not liking it much so far. It is lower profile but with an open top. Read that as, bad idea. The flip tops on your boat are likely a very good idea.

next year, near total concealment will be the name of the game.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:58 am

canderso wrote:Javelin-

I like the boat hull you are working with. I don't remember from your earlier posts on this project what it is though. What is the year, make and model of the boat?

Looks to be a decent design. Let us know how it works out. I redid my blind this past summer. Been hunting out of it. Not liking it much so far. It is lower profile but with an open top. Read that as, bad idea. The flip tops on your boat are likely a very good idea.

next year, near total concealment will be the name of the game.

It is a Lund SSV 16' Deep V with a 40 HP Mariner (yamaha) Needs 60 hp with trim :yes: (SOON). I hunt some big waters so a deep V was a Must However im seeing a 16' Flat in my hunting future to couple with this for other applications. :yes: . I have got it brushed in better than pics but havent snapped a pic. I have a Fabric top im using now burlap and camo and it helps but as soon as season is over its getting a flip top for it. Hunts 3 guys and a dog with ease.... 4 guys do-able but tight....
18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:17 am

I also trimmed it down 4" on height and may take it down another 4" after season. I just wanted enough head room i wasnt sitting croutched all day.
18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:20 am

ImageImageImage

18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:28 am

Been Happy with this Build But will be adding a few Mods before next season. Gonna trim down another 3 inches in height. Build the Flip roof and Put a flip roof/dog Box in front. This boat can hunt 4 and dog on front but hunts 3 with ease. My Dog needs steadying to sit in open as she wants to almost spin with the ducks. So a roof over the front/dog blind is in order. Other than that gotta say its a great build and sturdy as heck.
18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:31 am

18javelin
hunter

Postby NealLauderman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:33 pm

Great build and thanks for all the pics! Out of curiosity, are you beaching the boat in those pics to hunt or are you dropping anchors? If dropping anchors, do you drop on the front and back to hold the boat still? Sorry for the dumb question.
NealLauderman
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:34 am

I am beaching it, most times i drop the motor just to have some hold, i can get about 10" of draft out of this hull so for as big as it is, it actually runs pretty shallow. I have dropped anchor from front and back in a few hunts but i prefer to find shallow areas. Seems i tend to hunt fly overs more than i can the "X" because of huge waters i hunt at times.

Settting dekes is so much easier when you can wade rather than use a trolling motor and hook.
18javelin
hunter

Postby NealLauderman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:45 pm

Sounds great! Thanks for the info.
NealLauderman
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:24 am

Mounted a 54 lb thrust motor guide with gator mount on the front. Going to have to mod the blind frame a little to clear it, but i will be tearing into it to build a flip or roll top anyways. This has been one project i enjoy working on isnt ever more expensive than you make it and I will be looking for any old jons to flip for a few extra coins here on out. I gave 1500 for mine have less than 2000 in it and have have been offered 4k for it.
18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:26 am

Got rid of garden fence JUNK. Bought poultry netting to attach raffia. Have pvc to buld flip roof in 3 sections. Ready to get started when temps cool out of the 90s. Gonna have it right the first year on blind was good this one will be great.
18javelin
hunter

Postby deliriousII » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:05 am

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
quack addict
deliriousII
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:20 am

Got Poultry net attached to canvas. This will have raffia attached to it. Cost was 16 bucks for 20x12 section off ebay. Recommend something heavier than 40 lb break. It will hold and wont rot but may tangle easier. I attached it in 40 places per side
uploadfromtaptalk1378988437250.jpg
18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:21 am

Frame will go on later in year as I will be deer hunting with boat through Oct.
18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:41 am

Getting grass on net.
uploadfromtaptalk1379004055702.jpg
18javelin
hunter

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds