KAYAKS FOR DUCK HUNTING

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

KAYAKS FOR DUCK HUNTING

Postby MOBOTTOMBOY » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:13 am

Have any of you guys hunted out of a kayak? I'm looking for an inexpensive way to get out of the water in the wade-n-shoot areas. lightweight, shallow draft easy to get around in sounds good so far but I keep getting the mental image of me doing barrel rolls like the white water guys. that marsh water is very cold in dec.

Frank
MOBOTTOMBOY
hunter

Postby buster_22 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:04 pm

your post made me laugh :laughing: , I have seen it before were guys get all geared up throw their six decoys in and begin to paddle. They get 50 yards away from public lauch and they roll over. I'm not trying to discourage you but I have seen it, and that water like you said is cold in December. Well good luck in whatever you decide......... Shoot em' up
Last edited by buster_22 on Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby twoscoots » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:06 pm

you need to check into some of the specialty boats made almost exclusively with ducks in mind! These small boats have a wider bottom and they are more flat than say a kayak.......I have given the same thoughts myself and as of yet I cannot make up my mind on which style of sneak boat that I think will fit me the best.
II want to be in PETA ....people eating tasty animals, pass the gravy please!
twoscoots
hunter

Quick! Mobottomboy, look at the ads in any DU mag,........

Postby Poke Boater » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:11 pm

If I mention a small boat that's stable, stealthy, 12 to 17 foot, crack & puncture resistant, capable of carrying a 100 + lb Chessie, 75 + dekes (no riders), 10 gauge (tip) proof shot at right angles, weighs 22 lbs, and always called a kayak. Would you know the name? :umm:

Better not mention the brand name. :mrgreen: I don't want to advertise about a boat made in Berea, Kentucky. Some kayaks turn over easily. The one they call a kayak doesn't. :thumbsup:

Stay dry with what ever you decide on. Knight and Hale have been staying dry. Me too! :cool:

Cody :salude:
Last edited by Poke Boater on Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#1 If a falling duck's head is "held up" shoot again.
#2 If a downed duck lays still on the water with it's head "held down" straight out and you detect ANY movement across the current or not with the wind shoot again.
Ouabache!
Poke Boater
hunter

Postby QuillGordon » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:50 pm

Maybe a Kayak made by Old Town would work for ya, it's called the predator. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... stid=52957
QuillGordon
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:02 am

I've hunted from a kayak for years....of course it is a speciallty craft and you need to be in the right waters....have never rolled....been a bit shaky a couple times while piviting on the swing and pumping (I like to shoot out of mine since your profile is low and you're hidden in the grass) so I have adjusted to using an auto....also, aligning your shooting zone accordingly is important to remain stable....limits are number of decoys and long term comfort. Hardest thing to do is get out - at least for me.....getting in is easy. It allows for easy walkin transport, is lightweight and they are actually quite durable. I have'nt hunted from it this year yet....will have to get ahunt in soon!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Kayaks

Postby marsh1buster » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:46 am

I live in SE Louisiana where everyone uses traditional pirouges EXCEPT me. I hunt out of a wilderness systems kayak and love it. I own both, and the pirouge only gets used if I bring a guest that doesn't have their own. I've put an inexpensive platform on the back to carry my dekes (2-3 dozen. I have enough room to tote my dog (75 lb. Lab), gun, dekes, dry box, etc... I have never flipped, and being in a very tide influenced hunting area, I've never been stuck! If I do get into shallow water or mud I can stand up and push pole out of anything. As a matter of fact, last weekend a buddy of mine and I went to our lease and the water went out so fast that I had to pull his pirouge and gear out while he walked to the boat. I can't say enough about my kayak. Oh yea, I also can hunt big water with it also. I live about 5 miles North of Lake Pontchatrain so if the ducks are rafted up in the lake I can sneek up and get them. The best part about it is I found it used and cheap :thumbsup: !
http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/inde ... rerid=6847
PRETA--People for the Reasonably Ethical Treatment of Animals

If you love animals but don't lose sleep over whether a fish has feelings, this group's for you!
marsh1buster
hunter

Postby DUCKBAKER » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:21 am

you guys need a 13 ft. ocean kayak a little expensive but the most stable kayaks ive been on. its a sit on top kayak so you cant roll in it.
DUCKBAKER
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds