Duck Hunting Forum banner

Gatorboats Duck Hunter Build

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  backwoodsboy09 
#1 ·
I'm interested in building the gatorboats duck hunter for next season and have a few questions that maybe a few people could help me answer before I buy the plans. I live in Charleston, Sc and often hunt the big rivers and creeks around here. What im most worried about is safety, the water can get deep and want to make sure its a stable boat. I'm thinking about building one 2 feet longer and a good bit wider than the original and runnin a 25-35 hp on it and sit 2 ppl, gear, and a dog. Just wondering if this would be a safe boat to be in. Any other suggested modifications would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking about laying fb mat on the inside like I did my hybrids for a bit more sturdiness and already plannin on puttin in sections of foam and lighting in it as well. I could always buy a boat but i've enjoyed making and hunting my little hybrid boats, now that im down here I simply need a bigger boat. I'm aware of cost and time and none of that concerns me, just if it's a good boat for hunting on open tidal waters. Also, if anyone knows of any other good plans please let me know. Thanks in advance for any advice.

#2 ·
I am also strongly considering building the duck hunter. From what I have read it appears to be a pretty stable design. I'm not sure how rough the waters are there, but the added length should help. You might considering widening it a bit also though just for peice of mind. I have a question that you may be able to answer, I know the boat calls for a 20hp but I can't afford to buy one currently, I do have a 5hp that I had planned to put on until I could get a new motor. What kind of problems do you think I may run into with this? I will be in fairly calm waters most of the time, so I think it would be ok temporarily. I would love to see your progress as soon as you get going! Thanks!

#3 ·
I'll be honest I attempted building one but halfway through the process failed. You need a decent amount of woodworking skill which I would say mine is above average. Toughest time was bending the chines. Finding the right lumber they call for was a pain also. To answer your 5hp question one of the problems I could see is getting your boat on plane. I have a 1436 jon boat pushed by a 7.5 and even that thing has trouble pushing with gear, dekes and my dog. If you run into problems along the build shoot me a PM and I will try to help you guys out.

Sent while thinking about what to do to my bone stock 03 6.0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.