Longtail ???

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Longtail ???

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:23 am

Alright...I have a 12 HP engine off of a generator. The windings went bad on the generator so I'm planning in building a longtail with the engine. I can weld and have a good idea on how to build the frame. Problem is I have almost no knowledge on bearings/seals/ujoints. So I'm looking for specifics on the parts I need to order and how to set them up in the shaft. I know several of you have built one but I haven't found any clear cut info on the guts in the shaft. Thanks guys.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Re: Longtail ???

Postby goosepit2007 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:49 am

order scavenger frame for motor. they have auger style prop that handles rocks and sand with no problems. the steer handle makes it so don't have to lean over the boat. plus it is belt driven with pulleys, good strong set up.. on there site they have guy that wrote in to say what thought of there product that used 13 hp i believe to tow in stranded pontoon boat with guys gear ect and said he had plenty of power left. just thought bolt and go proven desiegn and not to bad priced for frame ect just add your motor. just thought

http://www.scavengerbackwater.com/
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby guywithhat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:51 am

I just used flanged bushings...
and a super small 3/4round-3/4round U joint... had to bolt the shaft side, and weld a gear hub on the other side to give it a keyway.
Built Not Bought!
This is Romeo Foxtrot. Shall we dance?
MorningWood built thread - viewtopic.php?f=72&t=164022
guywithhat
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:37 pm

Those scavenger frames are a little over priced for what I'm looking to spend but they seem like a decent setup.

PM sent guywithhat.

NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby sftull » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:59 pm

Most motors from generators have a tapered shaft. It will be hard to use that motor if it does.
sftull
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:18 pm

sftull wrote:Most motors from generators have a tapered shaft. It will be hard to use that motor if it does.

interesting...I guess I'll have to look into that. Thanks. :thumbsup:

NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:32 am

Well the generator does have a tapered shaft....I looked into it and there doesn't seem to be any easy way around it. Some guys ground it down to a keyway, but that really kills shaft strength. Some guys had a machine shop build an adapter, but that's a chunk of change. So I might just buy a harbor freight engine and be done with it unless you guys know of any other way around the tapered shaft. I'm planning on putting this on a homemade sneak boat. Kinda like a KARA but bigger. The shaft should only be about 12 inches off the water line and with a 60in shaft that puts it at about a 12* angle. Could I skip the Ujoint and just run a shaft straight out the engine?? Would be nice not to worry about a Ujoint. thanks guys.

NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:24 am

NuffDaddy wrote: The shaft should only be about 12 inches off the water line and with a 60in shaft that puts it at about a 12* angle. Could I skip the Ujoint and just run a shaft straight out the engine?? Would be nice not to worry about a Ujoint. thanks guys.

you're good with that. Don't complicate it with u-joints for an angle that small.
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:41 am

AJCsurf wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote: The shaft should only be about 12 inches off the water line and with a 60in shaft that puts it at about a 12* angle. Could I skip the Ujoint and just run a shaft straight out the engine?? Would be nice not to worry about a Ujoint. thanks guys.

you're good with that. Don't complicate it with u-joints for an angle that small.

that's what I was thinking. Whats the best way to hook a shaft straight to a keyway?

NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby codybaker51 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:18 am

With the motor it needs to be under 15* for the splash oil system to work so I would skip the ujoint if you can they are hard to find and an added expense you don't need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
codybaker51
hunter

Postby radfordc » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:12 am

radfordc
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:36 am

that's what I was thinking. Whats the best way to hook a shaft straight to a keyway?

I hope I can answer this question, some small mud motors such as stumpjumper and ppf wood duck use the straight shaft design with a chain coupler/coupling. It can be found on a website called mcmaster.com or ebay or whatever.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HYTROL-NC4016HX1-STEEL-1-IN-CHAIN-COUPLING-ASSEMBLY-D266481-/290998733793?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c0e04be1

mcmaster.com also has the seals and bearings needed but I don't know much about that assembly
jscheirer
hunter

Postby t_baker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:50 pm

Love-joy coupler
t_baker
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds