New life to an old 16' PolarKraft - Overhaul

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: New life to an old 16' PolarKraft - Overhaul [pic heavy]

Postby leonides » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:28 pm

Hi, you are doing a good job.
I start about 2 months ago, transforming a SeaNymph 16' bass boat into a duck hunting boat, My grandson a I are replacing all plywood and carpet for 1/8" aluminum.
For the bottom I 'm going to recomend you to use Gluvit, it is a heavy 2 parts epoxy that can be apply by roller or brush. It will seal all possible water leaks and ad a smooth finish to the bottom.
You can used as it comes or put some color on it and live it as a final coat or cover it with an epoxy paint.
I did work on boat here in Miami for many years, if I can be of any help don't hesitate to contact me.
Keep going, good luck
Pedro
leonides
Newb

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:50 pm

j.digiacomo wrote:
photo.JPG

got the boat into the garage tonight.

here's what it looks like just about everywhere. there's some leftover paint that just wont come off, and then a little bit of oxidation it looks like. i'm hoping that i can scrub with a scotch brite and vinegar and it will come off... this is after an acetone bath once already.

the grey/black dust seems to be never ending. any tips?

Alumabright....but be sure you buy the one for aluminum and BE CAREFUL! It is a strong acid!
spray on, let it bubble up for about 5 minutes, rinse off.

And I recommend checking all rivets and replacing loose ones. grab the rivet from the inside with pliers and if you can twist it, it needs replacing. Use compression rivets for aluminum boats. grind the top off the old one, use a punch to pop it out, then go in with a new one. For the ones you can not get to from the top that need to be replaced, I recommend this:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Burruel » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:27 pm

Boat looks like it's coming along nicely! :thumbsup:
"All of us learn to write in the second grade. Most of us go on to greater things."
"If the NBA was on channel five and a bunch of frogs making love were on channel four, I’d watch the frogs, even if they were coming in fuzzy.” Bobby Knight
Burruel
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:46 am

Got the new rivets in where the old seats were. Not too shabby if I do say so myself. If you have a compressor, go get an air hammer for $20 and the $12 bit. I did 18 in a matter of minutes.

I got my bit and the solid aluminum rivets from Hanson. http://www.hansonrivet.com/

photo.JPG

image.jpeg
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:04 am

Well as long as those rivets are water tight, I'd say you can quit your day job and repair aluminum boats, Nice work, all your work looks great.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:11 am

flipping over tonight to fill w/ water and see if i'm dry. seeing that i'm 45 mins from the water, its just easier.

if any leak, at least i have an extra 282 rivets... 1/2lb was the least they'd sell me :lol3:
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:02 pm

Been busy...

photo.JPG

image.jpeg

She's been primed and the first coat of Parker's went on a few hours ago. 2nd coat will happen in a couple hours... i need to let my poor compressor cool down.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby pweisbrod » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:12 pm

Looks great. Keep at it! :hammer:
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:46 pm

Got the boat flipped and painted the inside on Sunday. Letting it cure for a couple days before I bring outside on the trailer to let bake in the sun. Stencils in the next week or so.

photo.JPG

Flooring has been difficult to settle on. The back of mine is 51" wide, and the center is just shy of 7' in length. I can get some 4'x8' sheets of 1/8" aluminum for around $120, but it wont go all the way to the gunnels. it almost defeats the purpose of putting a floor in if i have gaps on either side . The sheets of 5'x10' .090" are difficult to come by and everywhere I've talked to wants a mint for it. ($270 a sheet :crying:) Ideally I'd like something non-skid that blocks debris/shells/etc from falling below the floorboards. What have you guys been doing with the wider boats?

Wondering if i can get away with putting a 4x8 sheet of aluminum down, then covering the gaps with Hydroturf just to keep the crud/shotgun shells out.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:51 pm

How thick are your stringers? buy some 2"or 3" angle and run that along the side of the wall on the floor, flat on top, with angle vertical going down to the top of the hull. Pop rivet the 48" sheet to it, then add a piece to fill on the gap on the sides, pop rivet that into place so you have a joint there, but when you cover it with hydro turf-you will not see it. Also the angle will help give you some support on the sides. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby j.digiacomo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:09 am

i've been rolling all kinds of ideas around. every way i look at it, the 5x10 is the RIGHT way to do it, but i'll just have to find a cheaper source. i'm not hard pressed on getting the floor done just yet so i have some time. going to be expensive any way i look at it, so i might as well do it right. Fazzio in DE was cheap, but they only had one sheet and were waiting on another shipment and said they'd call me when it arrives. plywood is looking better and better... :rolleyes:

still need to camo, re-wire, drop motor back on, figure out seating bracket situation, and do floors. the weekend cant come soon enough.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:51 am

For sure the Aluminum is better. But i used standard 3/4 ply wood and put 3 coats of Oil enamal on it including through mounting holes the tompson water sealed and let dry Then i carpeted mine wish i had done a heavy sand Top coat.I figured the floor is easy to change out and if i had to change it once every 5 years i still wouldnt have as much as alumnium in it. Im pretty sure after watching the water bead on the Floor after 2 years it will last a LONG time past 5 years.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:21 pm

Got the lights wired up. Ran wires inside the top rail, and I made a quick switch plate out of some scrap aluminum I had laying around. Mounted it up with some 1" angle on the back side. Turned out nice.

photo.JPG
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:39 am

Looks professional grade, nice work. Aluminum floors all the way, don't go the easy route!!!!!! Lastl, try using liquid electrical tape on the back of all switch connections after they are wired up. It prevents corrosion over time. It took me a couple ofnyearsvto figure that out. I got tired of replacing switches every other year. Just coat the hell out of the back of the switch after its all wired up. Nice rig
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby Fatback » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:20 am

I can see this project happening with my boat ... Thanks!
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:16 pm

QuackerSmacker498 wrote:Looks professional grade, nice work. Aluminum floors all the way, don't go the easy route!!!!!! Lastl, try using liquid electrical tape on the back of all switch connections after they are wired up. It prevents corrosion over time. It took me a couple ofnyearsvto figure that out. I got tired of replacing switches every other year. Just coat the hell out of the back of the switch after its all wired up. Nice rig

+1 on the liquid electrical tape....or better yet, but the heat shrink connectors. crip them, then heat them up to seal....west marine makes them and they are the bomb!!! :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby j.digiacomo » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:50 pm

thanks for the tip on the liquid electrical tape. i'll pick some up.

lots of progress over the last two days...

i'll show the progression and explain what i did as i went from the base coat.

first i did small blotches of brown for shadows. a very light touch is required to get the desired effect
photo.JPG

then, i went and added the 'bark' stencil in black over top of the brown shadows
image.jpeg

after that, i started on the grass. i used a tan first, then went back and darkened with green.
image (1).jpeg

image (2).jpeg

got the motor back on. after 4 months of sitting, i was happy when it fired up on the 2nd pull :biggrin:
image (3).jpeg
Last edited by j.digiacomo on Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:56 pm

all done
image (4).jpeg

photo6.JPG

overall, i used:
2q PPG self etching primer
1g Parker's Duck boat [Sand Tan]
2 cans Rustoleum [Camouflage Sand]
2 cans Rustoleum [Camouflage Black]
1 can Rustoleum [Camouflage Deep Forest Green]
1 can Rustoleum [Camouflage Earth Brown]

still havent decided whether or not to do the inside. i may do it after the floors are in.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby lamboicon » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:15 pm

This makes me want to go a buy a boat and flip it. You have done a killer job. Well done sir
lamboicon
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:28 pm

Nice rig man!
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:44 pm

Good call from indaswamp On the shrink wrap electrical connections. Check harbor freight for them. They are a quarter the price of west marine. Just not branded by 3m. Or try Dell city online. Good pricing if buying in bulk on electrical stuff. Either way, I didn't offer that suggestion because your all wired. Sweet rig, let's see fowl photos with that rig this fall!? :thumbsup:
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:25 pm

yeah. probably poor timing on my part. another 5 months before duck season. :fingerhead:

gonna get it on the water next weekend. after all, i need to start practicing double and triple marks with the dogs. :yes:
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:26 am

If you don't mind me asking, what did the welder charge you for that work? Anything less than you first born was a steal IMO;)
dgram36
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:04 pm

I think it was $900. Expensive, but the boat will fall apart before I have to worry about a transom again.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby assateague » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:17 pm

j.digiacomo wrote:I'm in Mt Airy. My brother lives in Wilmington. That seems awful cheap to not take a ride.

I grew up in Mt. Airy. You're the first person I've heard from there in a long time :lol3:
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

PreviousNext

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds