CenTex Lowe Boat Project

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

CenTex Lowe Boat Project

Postby MeatDog » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:54 am

Hello,

My name is Patrick, I live in Central Texas. I'm somewhat new to the forum and have been reading and bookmarking many of your threads on your boat projects for months now. Thanks for all the great tips and discussion.

Well it's my turn. I picked up this 16' Lowe and I'm planning to make it into a duck boat. This will be a slow going thread as my funds do not match my enthusiasm :biggrin:

Here it is:

Just wanted to get your thoughts on removing the live well bench in the middle of the boat. Would you pull it out or leave it? Leave it and pull out the front bench? I don't need it for fishing.

It is a good boat but has what looks like a fiberglass patch on the front. I am going to fix it up but I'm not going to spend as much time and money as some of the restoration projects on the forum.

Here's what I plan to do;
Trailer: Strip, repaint, new bunks and wiring, new jack, etc
Boat: Sand blast, repaint, stencil etc, install aluminum floor over foam, install aluminum decking/hatch over gas tanks etc, remove down-rigger platforms, remove/replace all wiring and steering components, remove/replace side console, install battery box upfront, install interior lighting, cover with hydroturf or similar, install bilge system

Engine: Taking it to a shop for reassembly -previous owner took it apart to fix.
MeatDog
hunter

Re: CenTex Lowe Boat Project

Postby grizz18 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:07 pm

If it were mine heres what I would do...

Boat-
-Gut out everything.
-Clean it decently
-put the plug in, fill it with water to find any leaks (there will be a couple)
-repair found leaks
-take out middle bench
-clean really well (power wash)
-prime and paint how you want it
-add any electrical you want/need

Motor-
Either convert to tiller, or sell and buy a tiller

Trailer
just make it functional, and safe.

You can turn that thing around quick with minimal money. You've got a lot of elbow work to do before you need to dump money into it. I'd go ahead and get on that, so when you've got the $$ you won't be waiting on all the grundge work to be complete.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby MeatDog » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:39 am

Thanks for the tip on plugging and filling it to check for leaks. I'll add that to the list.

For repairing leaks have you guys found it best to use a JB weld type fix or spend the money to have some one weld it?
MeatDog
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:37 am

Everything grizz said is spot on in my book, on your leaks, welding will be the best option. If you don't have a buddy that can weld aluminum talk to them firts before doing anything. If none of your friends weld, Prep it yourself, drill very tiny holes at each end of any cracks, leave leaky rivets where they are and tell whom ever is doing you welding. They will most likely want the rivet in the hole.

If you are going to prep for welding, make sure the abrasive you use is for aluminum specifically, meaning it should not be used on anything else prior to the aluminum. There is a contamination issue when welding aluminum. As it is, old aluminum boats can be difficult to weld because of impurities in the aluminum. Prepping the boat for welding will save you money. Wipe clean with acetone before submitting to welder.

Remember, NO WOOD in a duck boat. Use aluminum as often as you can or a non absorbent synthetic (polymer, delryn, plastic, ABS, etc.). WOOD absorbs water and rots over time. Most guys store duck boats outside in the weather, over a couple of years this will destroy wood. Personally I only like to do my floors and decks one time in a duckboat.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby MeatDog » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks Quacker, I live in a small town but I think we have a shop that can do the welding for me.

I plan to use aluminum. I don't know where to get it but I'm guessing if my shop can weld aluminum they can also order a sheet for me.

or a non absorbent synthetic (polymer, delryn, plastic, ABS, etc.)

Have you seen any of these products used before for flooring? I had thought about adding a plastic flooring or a product with the same rigidity as aluminum. Most of the projects I've bookmarked have used aluminum sheeting.
MeatDog
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:27 am

MeatDog wrote:Thanks for the tip on plugging and filling it to check for leaks. I'll add that to the list.

For repairing leaks have you guys found it best to use a JB weld type fix or spend the money to have some one weld it?

If there are big leaks/cracks then I would have it welded. If they small rivets leaks, I'm a fan of 3m 5200
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:37 am

Luckily, I found most my floor plates and flat aluminum at a scrap yard. Paid about 1/4 the price of new diamond tread aluminum plate. It doesn't matter how ugly and oxidized it is, just clean the hell out of it before painting. On the west coast, they are getting about $175 - $300 per 4' x 8' sheet of new aluminum diamond plate, depends on thickness. Shop around or make a drive to a larger city. Your savings will most likely be worth the time and drive.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:11 am

For the floor, I have come across 4x8 sheets of plastic from an industrial pig farm store called Hog Slat. It comes in different thickness, from 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" which range in cost from $30-$120 depending on thickness. I just built a deck extention using it and it works very well. Very strong material!! I will be using the 1/4" for my new floor shortly as well. I 'm planning to cover it with hydroturf as well so it is not slick when wet.
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:28 am

Meat dog , did you remove that live well?

Let's see a photo of the plastic flooring? I'm interested in the weight difference? What a great find. If it works out well, don't be surprised to see the duck hunting boat companies sell boats with the same plastic flooring material.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:51 pm

QuackerSmacker498 wrote:Meat dog , did you remove that live well?

Let's see a photo of the plastic flooring? I'm interested in the weight difference? What a great find. If it works out well, don't be surprised to see the duck hunting boat companies sell boats with the same plastic flooring material.

Here is what I did for the drop in deck extention.. 3/8's on the top and 1/8 for the sides. I can carry the 4x8 sheet of 3/8s by my self. I know it's lighter than treated..

Frame

gearhead80
hunter

Postby tod0987 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:16 pm

gearhead80 wrote:For the floor, I have come across 4x8 sheets of plastic from an industrial pig farm store called Hog Slat. It comes in different thickness, from 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" which range in cost from $30-$120 depending on thickness. I just built a deck extention using it and it works very well. Very strong material!! I will be using the 1/4" for my new floor shortly as well. I 'm planning to cover it with hydroturf as well so it is not slick when wet.

Hey Gear Head that sounds like cool stuff!!! I've done some looking on the web. Could you provide any more info. The stuff I'm finding looks like plastic diamond plate.

Thanks
tod0987
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:25 pm

tod0987 wrote:
gearhead80 wrote:For the floor, I have come across 4x8 sheets of plastic from an industrial pig farm store called Hog Slat. It comes in different thickness, from 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" which range in cost from $30-$120 depending on thickness. I just built a deck extention using it and it works very well. Very strong material!! I will be using the 1/4" for my new floor shortly as well. I 'm planning to cover it with hydroturf as well so it is not slick when wet.

Hey Gear Head that sounds like cool stuff!!! I've done some looking on the web. Could you provide any more info. The stuff I'm finding looks like plastic diamond plate.

Thanks

I have to go get some more of it this next week so I will do some more research on other places to get it..
gearhead80
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:13 pm

gearhead80
hunter

Postby tod0987 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:02 pm

gearhead80 wrote:http://www.hogslat.ro/Global/Catalogs/Midwest/HTML/index.html#/106/

Extruded plastic sheets..

Thanks Man!! :beer:
tod0987
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:06 pm

MeatDog wrote:Thanks for the tip on plugging and filling it to check for leaks. I'll add that to the list.

Use Marine Tex. It's a two part epoxy that dries very strong, can be sanded smooth, and won't leak.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:44 am

dudejcb wrote:

Use Marine Tex. It's a two part epoxy that dries very strong, can be sanded smooth, and won't leak.

X2. Ive used it on jon boats since I was a kid. Its lasts forever.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby MeatDog » Mon May 06, 2013 12:54 pm

Like I said it's going slow but I did get the bench and live well out of the boat this weekend. I removed the downrigger platforms. I have pulled off the motor and all steering components. I have scraped all the carpet glue off the back bench. What a pain! Another reason not to use carpet :smile: I plan to get the glue off the front seat and front deck this evening. Any tips for removing glue! I guess I'll just keep scraping.

I filled the boat and marked all leaks. I ended up with: (10-12) rivet leaks, (2) leaks around fiberglass patches, and (1) 2.5" leak along a welded joint.

I really like the Hogslat, thanks for the tip Gearhead80.

Have Gun & Dude: Did you apply Marine Tex to both sides? rivet leaks and cracks?

I'll try and get a pic up but it's nothing exciting....it looks like a jon boat...that's been gutted.

I appreciate the tips. Keep 'em coming
MeatDog
hunter

Postby MeatDog » Fri May 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Here's the boat without the livewell and bench. I have one more section of glue to scrape.Image

I had a leak coming from a fiberglass patch and found this gem underneath. I guess I am definitely going to the welder. For those of you who weld is this a tough fix or is it a pretty easy job?

This is the drain to the live well. It has been filled in with Fiberglass resin and patched underneath. I am going to scrape of the patch and have the shop cut out the drain and weld in a permanent patch.

MeatDog
hunter

Postby deakon » Sun May 19, 2013 7:17 am

Not a big job at all, they will straighten it out make an aluminum patch and weld er up tight. At least that's what I would do. Pretty simple! Keep it up! That will make a great duck boat! Keep up the good pics as your progress continues!
deakon
hunter

Postby roadbildr » Mon May 20, 2013 9:05 am

gearhead80 wrote:http://www.hogslat.ro/Global/Catalogs/Midwest/HTML/index.html#/106/

Extruded plastic sheets..

Is that stuff kind of like a cutting board type material?
roadbildr
hunter

Postby MeatDog » Sat May 25, 2013 9:57 pm

Got the trailer done today. Now I can take my boat to the welder....after I get my registration sticker :smile:

MeatDog
hunter

Postby ZachGrantham4 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:49 pm

What all did you do to the trailer? Like as far as removing the rust?
Lower Ashland Duck Mafia
ZachGrantham4
hunter

Postby MeatDog » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:01 pm

All of the rust was on the surface so I just hit it with a wire brush. The primer I put on was specifically for rusted metal. I got it at my local auto parts store.

Boat is at the welder now. I can't wait to get it back.
MeatDog
hunter

Postby Fatback » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:52 pm

sweet work on the trailer
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:26 am

Nice job...liking the thread. Great job on the trailer too - thing looks new
Locked&Loaded wrote:
Ohio- what would it run me to have you drop by to rape my dog and set this boat on fire?
OmegaRed
Fabio

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds