CenTex Lowe Boat Project

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: CenTex Lowe Boat Project

Postby MeatDog » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:43 am

I got my boat back and everything looks great. He patched the main hole and the livewell plug, added a lower d-ring on the front of the boat, and fixed several other cracks and holes. Now it's time to strip the paint.

He has a machine that can fix the leaking rivets but he said I would have good luck working with a buddy and hammering the rivet from both sides. Anybody done this before? I figured if it didnt work well I'd just use marine tex to patch the remaining rivets.

MeatDog
hunter

Postby bulletman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:14 pm

We just "fixed" a few leaking rivets in a 14' boat yesterday, with two guys and two hammers. You want to peen them but don't overdo it, if you get them too thin on the top (the side I hit on) they may pull through the hole, just a few taps will swell and tighten them. I then use sealer on both sides and they usually don't leak for a few years.
bulletman
hunter

Postby Paddles Down » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:38 am

Nice build, and your welder did a nice repair job. How much did it set you back. I've got a few cracks I need to patch/weld on my duck rig too. Keep up the pics, it's a blast hunting out of your own designed duck rig!
Paddles Down
Paddles Down
hunter

Postby MeatDog » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:01 pm

Thanks bullet, I'll remember that when we pound 'em out.

I paid $370 for 6hrs of labor plus materials. It included the large patch, a smaller patch in the middle, two cracks over 3 inches, and other misc spots. I'm gonna go back to get the paint blasted off, that should cost abt $150.
MeatDog
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:22 am

Soda blast will remove the paint and decals and not affect the aluminum. Then just an etching primer then camo .
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:40 pm

This looks sweet... Keep the updates coming... That trailer looks brand new! Nice work
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby MeatDog » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:18 pm

Well its been a while since I've updated the thread. Things are going slow but managed to sand blast the boat, prime and get a coat of parkers on the bottom.

Would you guys recommend a second coat? I only have a gallon to do the whole boat. I was thinking of using more paint inside than outside.
MeatDog
hunter

Postby MeatDog » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:28 pm

Got the inside painted today. Now i'm on to the next thing on the project list.
MeatDog
hunter

Postby spotty.beard.dave » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:31 am

Man, that looks good! I bought my boat and trailer in the same condition about 2 months ago. I just finished the trailer and will move on to the boat next week.

Do you have foam in the seats or deck? I was thinking about removing the foam in mine. It looks pretty old. I guess I'll just have to hope it never gets turned over!

Also, I saw a YouTube video of somebody using light weight foam board insulation to fill the gaps between the ribs and thin rubber horse mats from tractor supply as the flooring.
spotty.beard.dave
Newb

Postby ILwaterfowler15 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:33 pm

Looking good! :thumbsup:
ILwaterfowler15
hunter

Postby MeatDog » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:09 pm

spotty.beard.dave wrote:Do you have foam in the seats or deck? I was thinking about removing the foam in mine. It looks pretty old. I guess I'll just have to hope it never gets turned over!

I do have foam in the seats. I am going to leave mine as insurance just in case I flood the thing someday. I am going to install a battery tray and fuse panel in part of the center bench.

FYI The TS horse mats are heavy. I'm going to do floor mats between the ribs with out foam so I can take them out easily and hose out the boat.
MeatDog
hunter

Postby MeatDog » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:22 am

Time to build the motor. Got my duromax 16hp with electric start in yesterday. I pulled off the all the blue covers and gas tank and planning to tape and paint them this week.

I ordered the mudskipper motor kit and it should arrive later this month. They are out of stock but offered free shipping and a free prop so I went ahead and ordered. I was comparing it to the swamp runner kit. The only difference that mattered to me was the bracket that mounted to the transom. One of the websites that sells swamp runner kits made a convincing argument for their product but it was a little weird that they said swamp runner was left or right handed and the thai kit was not. A simple mind can see that all you do with the thai kit is flip it over to make it left or right-handed. I talked to Jon at Mudskipper about my concerns with their transom mount. I asked about failure rate and warranty returns and only one bracket had been returned. I feel the product would be adequate for my application. I thought if the bracket did fail it looked easy enough to replace or build on my own.

The decision ultimately came down to price. Thai kit for $399 with no shipping and a free prop versus Swamprunner kit for $499 + $78 for shipping.
MeatDog
hunter

Postby MeatDog » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:27 am

I wanted to include other topics I was researching on this thread.

Determining transom height and mud motor horsepower and shaft length

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=323921

Registration decals not sticking to the side of the boat

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=340874
MeatDog
hunter

Postby MeatDog » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:30 am

It's been a while since I've posted but I've been shooting ducks and working on my long tail and motor in the garage.

Here is a pic of the back deck I added. I have put a deck in and will add pics later.

I cut into the middle bench, removed the foam and put a floor in the bottom to use the bench as storage. I have installed hinged doors and will add pics later.

MeatDog
hunter

Postby MeatDog » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Here's the rear deck.

Completed center bench with storage hatches.

Rear half of the boat

Maxtool 16hp longtail complete with parkers duck boat paint to match. Custom racing stripe, Ha!

MeatDog
hunter

Postby MeatDog » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:55 pm

Got the decals on today.

MeatDog
hunter

Previous

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds