Sport V

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: Sport V

Postby Poboy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:20 pm

Picked up my 17x51 excel with mb sport v on it yesterday. Hooked it up and went straight to the boat ramp to give it a good run. 10 minutes into the run I hit my first stump, turned and looked behind me and there was an oil slick on the water. :huh: :mad: :huh: I thought surely not and trimed it up to see about a 16" crack across that new fancy lower unit. I loaded it up and took it back and told them they could keep that piece of junk. So I'm now on the hunt for a new boat and motor.
Poboy
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:30 am

Pics?
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Every thing i've seen and heard about them, they are junk. Tiller handles breaking off and having no control (read somewhere about a guy and his family driveing thru some timber and the tiller broke off and they hit a tree and ejected everyone from boat)...whole motors breaking off transom mount...LU's cracking...i saw somewhere that Mud Buddy had cracked and leaking LU's in the showroom that never even made it to the water. :no: i knew the casted LU's wouldt work from the begining, stuff like that cant take the pressure and abuse of hiting logs and stumps. Sorry but neutral and reverse isnt THAT important to deal with all those problems.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Mallard06 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:18 pm

Duck Collector, can you provide some links or tell us where you are reading all these stories of the motors having problems?

I'd love to read that.
1754 Excel SW F4 / Mud Buddy Black Death 4200
Mallard06
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:07 pm

Mallard06 wrote:Duck Collector, can you provide some links or tell us where you are reading all these stories of the motors having problems?

I'd love to read that.

Found most of it....
http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/ ... h0XL3a9Kc0

http://www.mudmotortalk.com/mmt_v2/view ... 41&t=44088

http://www.mudbuddy.com/forum/i-dont-th ... 16960.html
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby pwhnts5 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:01 pm

I looked one of these over at the Outdoor Show this winter (the one they were sending around to all the dealers to show). I know the MB dealers staff pretty well, we are friendly competitors. We both grabbed the handle and said to each other "that is gonna be an issue". the casting is just to thin, hell, I have seen outboards that take a hard hit and shear handles off the same way, but this is a MM meant to take hits. To continue we both looked at the transom bracket, same deal, no way thick enough to handle direct hits without damaging it over time. Back in the beginning PD tried cast brackets, ones a lot thicker then these and they had some issues and had to offered extra bolts that would prevent over torqueing/cracking of the bracket. I know they had us contact every customer we sold one, inform them of the issues and offer to fix with the reworked mounting bolts at no cost. Six months later they went back to CNC made solid extruded brackets. Lower unit same issue, the MB casting is not heavy or thick enough. I am still waiting to hear about the first guy who backs into a stump wide open and blows the Bravo gears and shifter apart. It happens with Bravo outdrives on pleasure boats all the time!!!!

I saw a Sport V here about 10 day ago at my shop, guy wanted to trade it in on a new Pro-Drive EFI before the season starts, has five hours on it and has had to replace handle already due to cracks developing. I offered to sell him the Pro-Drive, but told him we respectfully declined his offer to trade the Sport V but he was more then welcome to sell it himself, we just are not willing to resell it with the knowledge it is have major safety and reliability issues.

Guess he found someone to buy it, he dropped off his deposit on a new PD EFI this afternoon.

All I can say is the knowledge of all the issues that have been reported is not bashing MB, it is trying to inform unwitting customers to beware of these motors until MB does the proper testing and development to make them safe and reliable.

PW
Illowa Marine - Illowa Pro-Drive
Phowler Boat Company
Best Hull Warranty in the Bussiness
http://www.larrysillowamarine.com
http://www.phowlerboatcompany.com
email: larrys-prodrive@mchsi.com

Clinton, Iowa 52732 Ph: 563-242-8969
pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor

Postby Trick » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:00 am

What's the latest word on the Sport V. Have they remedied the problems addressed here?
Trick
hunter

Postby pwhnts5 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:17 am

It has been very quiet for awhile and no one is getting new ones that I have heard of up here, so my guess is no.

PW
Illowa Marine - Illowa Pro-Drive
Phowler Boat Company
Best Hull Warranty in the Bussiness
http://www.larrysillowamarine.com
http://www.phowlerboatcompany.com
email: larrys-prodrive@mchsi.com

Clinton, Iowa 52732 Ph: 563-242-8969
pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor

Postby lmt out » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:53 am

I will post a report on my experience with the sport v so far. I have hunted 14 times with it. I have it on a 1860 tracker grizzly, I know it is not the best combo but I love it. The sent me the upgrade for the handle and I put it on immediately, that is the only thing I have done to the motor. Other than that it is the same as it came from Mudbuddy. I do not like the fact you have to strap the hell out of it to trailer it but that is a minor inconvenience. I have had no problems so far. I have hit stump and the last 2 days have busted about 3/4 in of ice on the way to the blind for approximately 1/2 a mile. No problem. About 7 hunts ago I forgot to pull the pin that lets the motor flop up when you hit a stump, of course I hit a stump probably going 10 mph. Thought I had f'd up for sure but when I got to the ramp no leaks or cracks that I have seen and used it several times since with no issues. 2 days ago my buddy gps'd it while I was hauling 2 hunters guns and blind bags a 90lb lab, 60 duck decoys 30 goose decoys and 18 ghg oversized shells, 2 extra trolling batteries and 2 mallard machines. I weigh 210, my buddy 180. gps 21mph with that load. I have the stock 36, I was pleased but I am not to worried about the speed. I have not gps with just my self but It feels like it picks up 3 or 4 mph. So far no problems and I love it, but if any come up I will post them. I will also give a report after season. Ed
lmt out
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:09 pm

I got to ride in a sport v 55 yesterday and i was actually very impressed with the speed and the way it handled pushing a big heavy excel boat. Was running 27-28 with 4 people in it. It DID NOT however impress me in shallow water....it struggled and took a few minutes to get going in probably 7-8" of water where as my go devil in the exact same spot does not struggle at all and hops up on top very quickly. We did hit 1 log and it sounded like the whole motor was about come apart :lol3:
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Previous

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds