lawn mower battery starting outboard

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

lawn mower battery starting outboard

Postby coulterville33 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:15 pm

I'm hunting a four rivers ebads with a 9.9 Nissan outboard with electric start and back up pull start. Will a lawn mower battery fire the motor in the winter hunting months. Trying to cut weight in the back. Running fuel tank in the front. Does anyone use a set up like this. Only thing else on the battery will be running lights but only on while motor is running.
coulterville33
hunter

Re: lawn mower battery starting outboard

Postby threedogs » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:05 pm

I use the 350 ca bought at wally world. Starts my 36 prodrive with no problems...
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby coulterville33 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:13 pm

350 ca is a lawnmower size battery I would guess
coulterville33
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:55 pm

My buddy starts his 15 HP mariner 4 stroke all day with an ATV battery he purchased a Wally World. Works great and its light weight.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby Koondog » Sat May 04, 2013 8:40 am

I use a 235 cca lawn tractor battery to start a 50hp Yamaha 2-stroke. No issues, but the motor charges it and I only use it for starting.
Ted K
Koondog
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sun May 05, 2013 9:39 am

Koondog wrote:I use a 235 cca lawn tractor battery to start a 50hp Yamaha 2-stroke. No issues, but the motor charges it and I only use it for starting.

I use the 350 to start and for my spotlight. They work great, also for a mallard machine etc..
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:41 pm

I use an ATV battery, put it in an ammo can with a pigtail and Anderson connectors. I mount it on the ATV for a dual battery set up when doing a lot of winching and for charging then just disconnect and put it in the boat to start the engine. Works like a charm, the bike is an 800 cc and the engine is a 50 Yamaha.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sat May 11, 2013 2:05 pm

I use a U1 deep cycle for a cranking motor on my 3 cylinder Kubota diesel engine on my water pump. I think it should be more than plenty.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun May 12, 2013 7:31 am

It will work fine. Only issue you MAY see is charging. The smaller batteries like those can fry from time to time if your charging system surges it. Generally the only time it can be an issue is on a jump start. Its usually better to charge it then jump it. Avoid this and you will be just fine.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Paulinkansas » Thu May 16, 2013 4:29 pm

I've been using a 350 or so cca lawnmower battery to start my 13 horse mud motor for the last 15 years. In the spring it goes into my riding mower. In the fall it goes back on the boat. They last about 2 years. I try to keep it charged during down times.
Paulinkansas
hunter

Postby mikeh84navy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:07 pm

I also have an EBADS, and after trial and error, I have my Optima up front. The battery might be a little overkill, but it really balances the weight front to back and makes it easier to get the back up when in mud. I have been thinking about going down to a smaller battery to cut some more weight, but I know that Optima is going to crank all day when it is 20 degrees outside. I am trying to figure out a way to secure it in the front. During choppy days last season it was wanting to slide back. One idea was taking some coarse thread nylon all-thead with an eye on the end (if there is such a thing) and screwing it into the flotation foam in the front with a large amount of epoxy.
mikeh84navy
Newb

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds