Xpress Boats Water-Logged Foam--STAY AWAY--

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Xpress Boats Water-Logged Foam--STAY AWAY--

Postby 6.5longtail » Thu May 30, 2013 12:29 pm

My buddy has a 2004 Xpress 1546 boat, and noticed that the boat seemed to sit very low in the water, and the 25hp motor was only pushing it about 23mph. I got to thinking and decided that the foam must be waterlogged. To confirm this, we took the empty boat (no motor or other accessories) to a scale and weighed it, and it came in at 225 lbs overweight. I emailed xpress about the problem, and after much trouble getting a reply back, and much denial that their foam was the problem, they agreed to put the boat in their test tank at their factory and check to see if it didn't float like it was supposed to, and to correct the problem free of charge if they did find a problem with it. After a couple of weeks, they were finally done with the boat, and claimed that nothing was wrong with it, and that the foam was fine. When I got home, I removed a piece of the front deck, and pushed my finger down in the foam; it was soaked. Water from the foam almost immediately filled the hole that i had made in the foam with my finger. I then cut a piece of the floor out near the back of the boat and removed a chunk of the foam. When squeezed, water drained out of the foam like a sponge. It is obvious that the water logged foam is what is adding the extra weight to the boat, and this makes the boat dangerous to operate. I don't know whether it is a flaw in the boat design causing the water to not drain well and therefore sitting on the foam until it is finally absorbed, if the foam is flawed, or both. Regardless, Xpress has a real problem with their boats that they are aware of and choose to ignore. This problem hurts performance and makes the boats dangerous and prone to swamping. Even though I told them that the foam was soaked and causing the boat to weigh an excessive amount, they chose to ignore the problem and say that the foam was fine. I am disappointed that a 9 year old boat (which is still nearly new, in my opinion) has such a huge problem, and that the manufacturer is fine with that and chooses not to correct it. I know that this boat is not the only one with the flaw, because just a little research will show that many others have had the same issue with Xpress boats. I just wanted to make others aware of this so that they could consider it when purchasing a new boat. I will personally never consider buying an Xpress.
6.5longtail
Newb

Re: Xpress Boats Water-Logged Foam--STAY AWAY--

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:53 pm

Floor flotation should be outlawed on all jon style boats for this reason mentioned above. When I rebuilt my boat. ALL FLOTATION was suspended about two inches off the bottom of the deck. After five seasons it is still dry, even in winter. The slight 2 inch air gap allows that foam flotation to drip/Dry if needed. Hence no soggy foam. All water is channeled back to the bilge with even the slightest forward movement of the boat. Just a thought for some of you guys building or rebuilding a boat.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby 6.5longtail » Fri May 31, 2013 9:49 am

We are going to have to remove the floor and replace the floatation material with something different. Any suggestions? I know this has been discussed before. I have heard 2 liter bottles, pool noodles, styrofoam, foam from a home store, etc.. I guess it is just a matter of deciding what type of floatation is functional and cost effective, and how to reinstall it so that you never have this issue again.
6.5longtail
Newb

Postby Boatman » Fri May 31, 2013 2:21 pm

Why put anything under the floor. It will just get waterlogged. When I bought my G-3 it had no floor so when I put a floor in it I put nothing under it. Anything you put under there will just add weight.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:39 pm

Boatman wrote:Why put anything under the floor. It will just get waterlogged. When I bought my G-3 it had no floor so when I put a floor in it I put nothing under it. Anything you put under there will just add weight.

X2 I never could understand the need for foam under the floor.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Coonass22 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:55 pm

Tell him to get a gator tail
1648 wantin a gatortail

Mud buddy sucks
Coonass22
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:34 pm

Foam is over rated. Take it out and enjoy a fine boat. I have never had a problem with an Xpress boat..
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby 6.5longtail » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:56 am

After taking the floor out, the foam is soaked and heavy. The problem is not necessarily the foam, but how they put the foam in the boat. They spray the foam in, and it fills every rib on the bottom of the boat (the foam was in the exact shape of the floor, ribs and all) where water is "supposed to" drain from. With foam in the way, the water has no where to drain, so it sits on the foam until the foam slowly absorbs it. Over time, you have a big pain in the rear to deal with.. I hope xpress has corrected this poor design by now.
6.5longtail
Newb

Postby dhunter82 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:51 pm

Did this boat have the fully skinned interior or just the floor plate
dhunter82
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:05 pm

This is a great story about a good company trying to do something right ( putting foam in the floor boards....unfortunately common sense tells us that any type of absorbant material should not be placed on the floor of a hunting boat. True flotation only comes from displacement or sealed air chambers. Unfortunately foam does not provide either displacement or sealed air chambers. Foam will only slow the rate at which your boat sinks.

Foam in the floor is like a condom. Eventually you will have a leak and it will bite you in the azz. FOAM IN A DUCK BOAT FLOOR IS USELESS. Scraped that crap out of my boat the day I bought it. One more reason why duck boats are built and not bought.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:59 am

some foam does NOT absorb water....period.....that's a fact.....use the right foam...boat makers don't use that foam because it involves hours of addition manual labor and higher costs on the material.

just talk to the guys who were MILES off shore in NC who fully swamped their 20 ft MOD V...but stayed with the boat as it floated level with the water for a long time until help arrived.....they stayed above water mostly sitting in the fully swamped boat(ie gunnels level with the water)......if the boat had sunk to the bottom like it would have if it didn't have floatation foam.... they would have probably died.

foam is NEEDED in SOME boats

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:17 pm

I don't think you need ANY foam in the floor of the boat. My Weldbilt 1542V has NO foam under the floor. There is plenty of foam under the front deck and sealed in the seat.
z51
hunter

Postby threedogs » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:35 pm

I don't think anyone as addressed this problem and reason for insulated floors. NOISE! This is the only reason I put insulation under my floor as it helps reduce noise for fishing and for duck hunting. My floor screws down so it's NO biggies to change it every two or three years, or even every year for that matter.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:48 pm

I don't understand why it was put under the floor. My 1999 Xpress (16ft) has foam inside the back 2 pods, and the front deck. It just has the diamond tread plate on top of the ribs. No foam under that, all the water drains through there.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:07 pm

QuackerSmacker498 wrote:This is a great story about a good company trying to do something right ( putting foam in the floor boards....unfortunately common sense tells us that any type of absorbant material should not be placed on the floor of a hunting boat. True flotation only comes from displacement or sealed air chambers. Unfortunately foam does not provide either displacement or sealed air chambers. Foam will only slow the rate at which your boat sinks.

Foam in the floor is like a condom. Eventually you will have a leak and it will bite you in the azz. FOAM IN A DUCK BOAT FLOOR IS USELESS. Scraped that crap out of my boat the day I bought it. One more reason why duck boats are built and not bought.

That's not quite true....if you use the proper closed-cell flotation foam in the right spots in your boat it will keep it afloat and not absorb water. The USCG has alot of info about this in their boat builder's handbook. Foam does provide floatation from displacement. However if it's waterlogged it won't do you much good.
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:15 am

All depends on the foam used. Marine foam is waterproof. If they blocked off the drain areas it's still waterproof but will trap water and cause it to pool. Foam is in there to allow more floatation and allow more weight in boat.Also helps with impacts to rocks n logs. My buddies 17' Jon with no foam is rated for a 50 hp. My 17' with foam is rated for a 75 hp. Pulled the foam out of a 35 year old Jon boat Because I thaught the same thing (35 years oh it must be waterlogged). Outside was wet slimy feeling. Cut it open and its bone dry inside after sitting full of water for 2 years straight
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby lundin-loading » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:50 am

malrdmasher wrote:Foam is in there to allow more floatation and allow more weight in boat.

Dangerous Misinformation, foam WILL NOT increase capacity or the depth of draft. It is only there for emergency purposes. Fill a cup with foam and float it next to a cup with air, often the foam cup floats lower due to being heavier, now fill them both with water and the empty cup sinks, while foam cup still floats.
lundin-loading
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:33 pm

lundin-loading wrote:
malrdmasher wrote:Foam is in there to allow more floatation and allow more weight in boat.

Dangerous Misinformation, foam WILL NOT increase capacity or the depth of draft. It is only there for emergency purposes. Fill a cup with foam and float it next to a cup with air, often the foam cup floats lower due to being heavier, now fill them both with water and the empty cup sinks, while foam cup still floats.

I am sure he ment ..ONCE swamped!!!!!!!!
in which case it is a true statement
the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:18 pm

Oops. ya thanks. I ment swamped. A foamless boat will sink in one second. Seen it happen with one rogue wave over the front of a 16' Jon with the motor in forward the boat disappeared in the blink of an eye
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:14 pm

Just to make sure cause this is what I have always heard and believed, boats rated for commercial use only don't have any floatation foam in them?
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:26 pm

handyandy wrote:Just to make sure cause this is what I have always heard and believed, boats rated for commercial use only don't have any floatation foam in them?

I would wager the truth is They are NOT REQUIRED to have any......but to say that NO commerical boats have flotation foam....is most likley not true.

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:30 am

I've talked directly with the coast guard about this-there is a loophole in the rules that allows boats built for a "commercial" purpose to not have floatation foam installed. I'm not sure why. However any boat built for the consumer market is supposed to have foam installed to provide level floatation-the boat is supposed to float level at the water's surface when it's swamped.
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:05 pm

Cujo1 wrote:
Boatman wrote:Why put anything under the floor. It will just get waterlogged. When I bought my G-3 it had no floor so when I put a floor in it I put nothing under it. Anything you put under there will just add weight.

X2 I never could understand the need for foam under the floor.

Plus, if you swamp it, a little wave action could make the hull flip upside down as the flotation seeks the highest point in the water. IMO, all flotation should be as high up to the gunwales as possible.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby 6.5longtail » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:23 am

dhunter82 wrote:Did this boat have the fully skinned interior or just the floor plate

Fully skinned interior. Foam was removed and replaced, still trying to clean up the aluminum pieces enough to be able to reinstall all that had to be cut out to correct the soaked foam issue. Has been over a year now, and the boat is still sitting, not being able to be used because nobody is able to or willing to weld it with the rubberized coating. Missed out on using it last duck season. We have cleaned it up, but it has been very labor intensive. No wonder Xpress didn't care to correct the well-known problem.
6.5longtail
Newb

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:02 am

A lot of bad information and dangerous suggestions in here... Every time I look through the boat forum I am shocked at the absolute idiocy of some of the posters. Someday, someone is going to die because of what some of ya'll tell them.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds