I built my first 8' hybrid NL last year. I like projects and after building it I figured I could change the design a bit to better suit me. Long story short I sold my boat and got most of the money back that I spent on building it (down about $50 from build cost) and ordered supplies to build another one.
There were a few things I didn't like about my first hybrid that I want to change on this one.
1. I don't like how it tracks, but that is what the trade off is for the stability. I think making a semi V shape in the front shouldn't take away much stability and should make it a lot easier to paddle. I am working on an idea right now and we'll see how it goes.
2. I really hated the water that my dog brought in when she climbed into the boat. For this one I am going to put on pods and put a dog platform on the pods so the water drains out of the boat into the lake.
3. I am going to modify my fiberglass techniques and see if I can get the build time lower and epoxy waste lowered.
4. I have been wondering if I can do away with the front frame to make the internal fiberglassing go easier and decrease the boat's weight. I have some ideas about how to do this.
Here are pics from day 1:
-Sketch out the general shape that I want on thin luan plywood. I think the arch may be too steep towards the tip and my angles might need to be changed on the sides. I'll play with it and maybe cut off 6-8" from the front before I glue it.
-Insulation foam makes a great underlayment for cutting when using a circular saw. The wood doesn't move and when I'm done I can cut the foam up for flotation in the pods.
If anyone has tried this design modification and has suggestions, let me know. This is going to be a very slow build, but I'll post pictures periodically as I go.