Hybrid NL - semi V modification

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: Hybrid NL - semi V modification

Postby sharris » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:10 am

I'm going to cut my boat to make it shorter in the front. I am actually building two boats right now (one for a buddy) and his boat is getting the modifications that I am learning through experience. With his we moved the whole frame further back in relationship to the bottom to keep the front lower. The obvious tradeoff is that there is less of a V in the front.

HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 24
Dove: 4
sharris
hunter

Postby Lane » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:55 pm

Either way will work great. Didn't you know your supposed to build your buddy's boat first.... that way yours has the mods :biggrin:
Lane
hunter

Postby sharris » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:06 am

Lane, I tried cutting the front down a little as you suggested and ran into a bit of a snag. When I put the front deck on it now had to bend too far along the edges and cracked. I ended up putting a layer of fiberglass tape under the deck on the underside of the crack and then planed out the crack on the top. I skim coated with epoxy/talc and will sand smooth this weekend. Once it gets glassed the repair should be invisible and much stronger than the plywood. Definitely a PITA. I also had a couple of small gaps between the front deck and sides that I had to fill at the same time.

I have the side deck pieces cut and ready to go on. I cut them to follow the cockpit and dog area so a single piece now spans each entire side which should add strength.

HR Annie Git Your Gun
sharris
hunter

Postby sharris » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:08 am

Skim coated repair before sanding.

HR Annie Git Your Gun
sharris
hunter

Postby Lane » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:32 pm

Looks good. When I get ply that's starting to crack, I usually kerf the back side. Cutting part way thru just relieves the stress.
I liked the way your first one came together in the front and you inspired me to build a new mold. Just started on it yesterday. The top of the bow (the part you cracked) will be 1/2" ac ply. I'll try and get a pic....hopefully later today, unless my dog convinces me to drop some ducks..........
Lane
hunter

Postby sharris » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:44 pm

Thanks for the tip. I'm having fun learning how to build and pretty happy with the boat design. In two weeks I'll test the boats at a HRC field day, so I am going to be rushing to get it finished and painted. Sunday my buddy is coming over and we are putting on the gun racks, shelves, sides, and hopefully get the outside taped up. Post pics of your build--I'd like to see how you design it differently.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
sharris
hunter

Postby Lane » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:30 pm

Its a horrible habit, boat building..... As soon as you start hunting your boat you'll start thinking about what you want different for how you hunt and planning your "next boat". LOL.... Trust me. My wife walked in the shop last night and said "REALLY......Another mold?????" :lol3:
Lane
hunter

Postby sharris » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:25 am

Lane wrote:Its a horrible habit, boat building..... As soon as you start hunting your boat you'll start thinking about what you want different for how you hunt and planning your "next boat". LOL.... Trust me. My wife walked in the shop last night and said "REALLY......Another mold?????" :lol3:

It's funny you mention that. I already have an idea sketched out for another layout boat style. Totally different than this one. I just have to figure out how to get the OK from my wife.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
sharris
hunter

Postby sharris » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:29 am

Here is where I am at now. This weekend I put on the gun rack and ammo shelves, sanded my epoxy repair in the front deck, put on the side decks, and screwed/glued them into place. For the side deck my buddy held them in place and we marked the shape out underneath with a sharpie so it is cut to fit with minimal fill work.

BTW a hand plane seems to be the best tool for rough shaping the edges. This week I'll tape the seams, glass, and paint.

HR Annie Git Your Gun
sharris
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:34 pm

Serious-looking boat your got there!
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby sharris » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:36 am

Thanks Rich! It will be finished this weekend. All I have left to do is glass the bottom tonight, then paint and add hardware this weekend. I'll let everything cure all next week and then take her out on Saturday with my dog to get her used to going in and out of the boat.

I decided against putting pods on the boat for now. It just doesn't seem needed with this design. I am considering adding oar locks that I am going to salvage from a cheap rubber raft I have sitting in my garage.

The boat is 9 ft long with 7 ft in the front and 2 ft in the back. The cockpit cutout is just shy of 5 ft long and fits me perfectly. My buddies boat is a little longer than mine to account for him being a few inches taller. I'll get a final weight once they are painted and the hardware is attached.

HR Annie Git Your Gun
sharris
hunter

Postby sharris » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:47 am

DONE! :grooving:

She weighs 71 lbs (my buddies boat on the left is a couple pounds less since he didn't use pour in flotation foam), tracks beautifully, and is super stable. I can stand up and paddle without worrying about her tipping. She'll get grassed up this week.

All painted:

Practice setup with HRC group:

Test float:

Practice retrieve:
HR Annie Git Your Gun
sharris
hunter

Postby sharris » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:12 am

Here's what she looks like grassed up. I will be taking her out next week for my first hunt of the season.

HR Annie Git Your Gun
sharris
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:03 am

AWESOME! :bow:
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter