Poor Mans Spud Poles/Shallow Water Anchors

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Poor Mans Spud Poles/Shallow Water Anchors

Postby T Man » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:37 pm

After searching the internet I finally came up with a solid plan that I could modify to make mine for shallow water anchors. After fighting with the wind for boat positioning when fishing and hunting, I think these will do the trick. The emt hanger and wire lock pins allow me to run with my poles in and not worry about them accidentally setting themselves at 30mph. This means I dont have to dig through dekes or fishing equipment when I get to where I want to be. Cost was right at $40 for the pair.

Materials for one side:
(1) 10'x1" emt cut to length
(2) ss 4 7/8 screw eyes
(1) #2 Emt Hanger
(1) Wire Lock Pin

Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Re: Poor Mans Spud Poles/Shallow Water Anchors

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:50 pm

T Man wrote:After searching the internet I finally came up with a solid plan that I could modify to make mine for shallow water anchors. After fighting with the wind for boat positioning when fishing and hunting, I think these will do the trick. The emt hanger and wire lock pins allow me to run with my poles in and not worry about them accidentally setting themselves at 30mph. This means I dont have to dig through dekes or fishing equipment when I get to where I want to be. Cost was right at $40 for the pair.

Materials for one side:
(1) 10'x1" emt cut to length
(2) ss 4 7/8 screw eyes
(1) #2 Emt Hanger
(1) Wire Lock Pin

Ive been looking at something similar to this. Basically a poor mans power pole. I want one when Im fishing primarily on the flats. So when you want to drop in you just loosen up the wing nut and let it fall? Do you leave it in the slot while riding or lay it in the boat?
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby T Man » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:39 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:Ive been looking at something similar to this. Basically a poor mans power pole. I want one when Im fishing primarily on the flats. So when you want to drop in you just loosen up the wing nut and let it fall? Do you leave it in the slot while riding or lay it in the boat?

Either or. Mine are stowed in my boat for now because they get in the way of the rods when catfishing. You could just use the wing nut, or use the wire ring for an added measure of security.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:48 pm

T Man wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:Ive been looking at something similar to this. Basically a poor mans power pole. I want one when Im fishing primarily on the flats. So when you want to drop in you just loosen up the wing nut and let it fall? Do you leave it in the slot while riding or lay it in the boat?

Either or. Mine are stowed in my boat for now because they get in the way of the rods when catfishing. You could just use the wing nut, or use the wire ring for an added measure of security.

I totally missed the pin. That would be good security. Ill have to see what I can do. It would be cheaper than buying a $250 fiberglass dig anchor.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:52 pm

Tman, I love the innovation. Might have to steal your thoughts on this one. Did you plug the bottom that contacts the mud?
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:56 pm

Doesn't look like it in the picture, but I was thinking the same thing.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby T Man » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:17 pm

I did not plug the end. I did however cut it at a steep angle to help get it down in the bottom better.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby grizz18 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:24 am

tmclaimerFL wrote:
T Man wrote:

I totally missed the pin. That would be good security. Ill have to see what I can do. It would be cheaper than buying a $250 fiberglass dig anchor.

Tman- I like what you did there. Have you used it yet? I've been using my buddys 8 ft stick it anchor, but I really need the 10 fter. Do you think the emt is going to have the same flex that the fiberglass ones have? and if it does, will it return to straight or keep a permanent bend in it?
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby T Man » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:03 pm

grizz18 wrote:
Tman- I like what you did there. Have you used it yet?

No I havent. I have been using a piece of 3/4" conduit for the last year stuck through the handles on the boat, but it moved around too much for my liking

grizz18 wrote:I've been using my buddys 8 ft stick it anchor, but I really need the 10 fter.?

Mine are cut at 9' which is the longest they could be to fit in between my front and rear decks.

grizz18 wrote:Do you think the emt is going to have the same flex that the fiberglass ones have? and if it does, will it return to straight or keep a permanent bend in it?

They have very little flex in them, and they will bend if pushed beyond a certain point. I hunt flooded fields and strip mines with my boat, neither of which have any current, so I dont really have any need for any flex. If I hunt the river I will probably use one of these and a conventional anchor to keep my boat stationary.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby grizz18 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:31 pm

T Man wrote:
grizz18 wrote:Do you think the emt is going to have the same flex that the fiberglass ones have? and if it does, will it return to straight or keep a permanent bend in it?

They have very little flex in them, and they will bend if pushed beyond a certain point. I hunt flooded fields and strip mines with my boat, neither of which have any current, so I dont really have any need for any flex. If I hunt the river I will probably use one of these and a conventional anchor to keep my boat stationary.

Gotcha. Sounds perfect for your area, but I don't think I can get away with it. The fiberglass ones work around here, but they have to have a lot of flex due to tide/wind.

Yours sound ideal for hunting applications though.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby Paddles Down » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:31 pm

That's a slick idea thanks for posting pics! I may have to build a set for my rig.
Paddles Down
Paddles Down
hunter

Postby gr8white » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:43 pm

Just to throw it out there, I know a lot of the kayak fishers use the ground rods from lowes/home depot. I know they come in 8' lengths and already have a point on one end for driving into the earth...and there solid rods. Inexpensive at $12 I think...and they might have 10' lengths also.
gr8white
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:35 pm

Do they just stick up 10' in the air? How do they transport with 9' of play above the eye bolts?
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:48 pm

I have been playing with this design for a couple years. My issue is the water depth where I hunt fluctuates from day to day and I would not like having to carry several poles and I also would not want 7' of pole in the air when the water is only 2' deep. Any suggestions? :huh:
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby whaknstak » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:02 pm

WSUWESTON wrote:I have been playing with this design for a couple years. My issue is the water depth where I hunt fluctuates from day to day and I would not like having to carry several poles and I also would not want 7' of pole in the air when the water is only 2' deep. Any suggestions? :huh:

aside from spending several hundred on a powerpole? Lol couldn't resist.

I'm with you, what's the secret?
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby quack-quack » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:56 pm

So whats a better location, two on one side.. or one on the front and one on the back of the boat ?
quack-quack
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:34 pm

WSUWESTON wrote:I have been playing with this design for a couple years. My issue is the water depth where I hunt fluctuates from day to day and I would not like having to carry several poles and I also would not want 7' of pole in the air when the water is only 2' deep. Any suggestions? :huh:

Not really any suggestions, I built these to suit my needs where I hunt.

whaknstak wrote:Do they just stick up 10' in the air? How do they transport with 9' of play above the eye bolts?

They transport just fine up, but I usually take them down and stow them in the boat so I dont do any tree trimming.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Badbuzz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:55 pm

I would think that one could use 1/2 "emt, inside 3/4" emt, inside 1", all with pins to vary the length. You would probably have them in 5' lengths so your max depth would probably be 13', and your min depth could probably be 4' (as you would probably want 1' of support inside the other emt conduit. You would probably need to wrap duct tape or something to tighten up the space between conduit on the 12" of overlap.

You would then probably only have 3-4' sticking up from the gunnels.

You could potentially just buy 1 10' length of the various emt, and cut them all at the 5' mark.

To the OP, great idea. I may have to try the above but use (steal) your idea. :beer:

W.
Badbuzz
hunter

Postby sparelink » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:20 pm

I would pinch or cap the end closed somehow you they will fill with mud and sand and add extra weight to the boat
sparelink
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds