Dog ramp or step, build.

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Dog ramp or step, build.

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:51 am

Well I saw this laying on my buddies floor and thought, hey that is curved like a dog ramp!

It was the front railing off his pontoon prior to him making the ponton a bow fishing machine.

1 inch square aluminum .

Working on connecting to the boat. Just needed a simple step up for a swimming dog on my small motorized layout, will mount on the stern, might even flip up and then flip down with a locking pin for more ease.

Treated on by wood, it weights nothing, works for my need. :beer:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Re: Dog ramp or step, build.

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:53 am

Left gap in the top board so I can use it as a handle .

Pretty this is how it will end up.
Attachments
image.jpg
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:37 pm

It's done now, fun project from a scrap of pontoon aluminum railing.
This will work just fine for my shorthair :thumbsup:
Attachments
image.jpg
If I need to flip it up in a hurry.
image.jpg

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:58 pm

I like it , better than spending a couple of hundred :thumbsup:
dogyak
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:33 pm

I always thought about buying one of those and cutting a hole in the middle of it...be a great way to take a crap :lol3:
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:55 pm

Id put something over the wood. It gets slick as snot when wet. Poor doggie..
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:17 pm

Duck Collector wrote:I always thought about buying one of those and cutting a hole in the middle of it...be a great way to take a crap :lol3:

Thanks for sharing... I guess. :huh:

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:20 pm

threedogs wrote:Id put something over the wood. It gets slick as snot when wet. Poor doggie..

actually, it doesn't get like that. Notice the gap in between the slates (not large enough for paw to go through, yet keeps their nails from getting pinched), its rounded and the dog can get traction. If you leave it in the water for days, it will get slick. Or pure ice.

have another one on a larger boat, never had an issue with slick when they come straight into the ladder and up :beer:

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:41 pm

Nice adaptation, whacker! If it were mine and I've built a couple from scratch, I'd add a little drop down shelf below the current platform with a small level slat or anything like that, so the dog can get his back feet on something solid which will assist his/her's getting the traction with both front and back to climb into the boat. Wouldn't take much to drop a 6" extension straight down with a 2" board to give that a back foot grab. Otherwise, great idea.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby threedogs » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:18 pm

I gave that some thought and concluded that my 2 knot heads would rip the nails off, happened before. I have built many and never used them much. I prefer the grab the behind the head and get them in this way. I'm already in waders so it's no big deal for me.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:29 pm

tenfingergrip wrote:Nice adaptation, whacker! If it were mine and I've built a couple from scratch, I'd add a little drop down shelf below the current platform with a small level slat or anything like that, so the dog can get his back feet on something solid which will assist his/her's getting the traction with both front and back to climb into the boat. Wouldn't take much to drop a 6" extension straight down with a 2" board to give that a back foot grab. Otherwise, great idea.

thanks.
Interesting enough, one of my buddies stated the same about the drop down. On this small motorized layout boat, just wanted to keep it light weight, small compact and a bit versatile. I have the angle (currently, can change as we see what is needed) so that when they swim up, their front paws will be touching and the back paws will hit the end, which is down in the water.

Am sure it will need a bit of tweaking ala Millie Cyrus as we use it. IF needed, will drop a step as you suggest. Right now, it is enough and flips up out of the way, or stores under the back out of the way :beer:

Weedwacker
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds