Styx River Boat Prep

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Styx River Boat Prep

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:15 pm

I just got my Styx River kit in the mail. As I was reading the instructions, it was not very specific on boat prep. It said there should be a base coat of Olive Drab or Tan/Kacki. It says you may want to sand or whipe down the area.

I have a Tracker Grizzly that is green. I'm aware the paint quality on these boats sucks. So my question is, should I strip the whole boat, paint the base coat over the current green color, or paint the camo ontop of the current green color? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what is the best brends of paint to use for a base?
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Re: Styx River Boat Prep

Postby Tanner01 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:55 pm

I found that a base coat is important to the finished look. The 3d effect is really obtained by the shading and the base coat helps with that. I also found using more than one paint color with a slight shift of the stencil creates depth. I am a big fan of the Max4 camo stencil. I could only find the correct paint colors from Styx river and the spray paint cans had a bad habit of spitting large blobs of paint out. Boat prep is needed for good paint adhersion, if the color of the boat works for the look you are going for do a light overspray after prepping. What stencil are you using.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:16 pm

I went with the Nat Gear. My question is about the prepping. Should I strip the entire boat with lets say a wire brush on a drill, should I sand it, should I just wipe it and put the base over the current paint?
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Postby goosie119 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:58 pm

all depends on how fresh your paint is. i'd lightly scuff it with some fine sandpaper and then wipe it with acetone and paint away.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

If you have your kill counts in your signature then you're automatically a dbag!
goosie119
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:01 pm

Sand it and clean and wipe it with acetone, stripping is a lot of work and you should only have to do it if you have loose or flaking paint.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby Driven51387 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:21 pm

If you make sure to get rid of any problem spots you will be just fine. if you feel like you absolutely have to get rid of all the paint then you should have it soda blasted. This will allow for removal of just paint and not the substrate beneath(I.e. your hull). it also leaves an absolutely perfect surface for the paint adhere to.
Driven51387
hunter

Postby sbpep » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:40 pm

had the same problem, upon further investigation i realized that the prior owner had painted boat but did not use a primer. As much as I didn't want to do the whole sanding/stripping thing, I didn't want to bust my tail to do a good paint job to have it come off in a years time. I tried everything from hand sanding, using various grinder/sanding attachments w/ power drill & grinder, and everything else.

The fastest and easiest method to completely get paint off was something I stumbled upon here or another site. Go to advanced auto and get airplane paint remover. You're gonna need googles/glasses, gloves, and a face mask. (DO NOT SKIP this step, this stuff burns like crazy if it gets on your skin) Take the airplane paint remover and apply it all over with a big brush. Let it sit for about 15 minutes and you'll see the paint start to bubble. I'd wait about 20 minutes total and then get your pressure washer (or rent one) and blast all the paint off. It is by far the fastest way to get this done.

However, you may want to do this in an area that's not gonna drain into an area potentially causing pollution to water or animals. Also, I learned the hard way, this stuff will kill grass. After I blasted all the paint off I took the grinder w/ sanding bit on it and cleaned up the spots where needed. Then I laid down rustoleum primer, let it dry, and used an awesome base color I got from boater's world called duck boat green.
sbpep
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:36 pm

I wouldn't strip to bare metal unless you have to. If you do go to bare metal I think you have to use a self etching primer in order to get the paint to stick. I haven't taken one all the way to the metal for that reason. I just use something like a scotch bright pad without soap injected and scuff the entire surface you plan to paint. Then wipe the whole thing down with alcohol.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby Riverrunner342 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:21 pm

The owner of Styx River told me this year that virtually all new boat manufacturers that use his stencil products, especially the stencils for Max 4, use plain green OD as their base coat. Give the man a call and ask him. I used his advise on my new boat the results were incredibly good.
Riverrunner342
hunter

Postby sbpep » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:25 pm

forgot to mention, another pro tip I found online was to get a couple metal coat hangers and undo them, fold in half and then use a coat hanger to press the stencil down against boat to get a more detailed pattern
sbpep
hunter

Postby Kidney » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:05 am

Sand it with 80 grit. Just don't break through the paint and then wash it all down with TSP. Make sure it's all dry then paint it.

I never liked using acetone all it seemed to do was remove the paint not clean it.
Kidney
hunter

Postby Okie Ducker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:19 am

I have a tracker grizzlie as well and did my own camo job 3 seasons ago. I would leave the olive green paint as a base coat but I would use a good cleaner/degreaser and thoroughly rinse it. I made my own stencils and used the krylon camo spray paints and the camo spray paint kit that Cabelas sells. It turned out nice, had lots of compliments, helped a buddie do the same thing to his boat, and it has lasted well. Only extreme wear from scratches off of trees or metal shows and that is all the way through to the aluminum shows. So any kind of paint would've been affected. Watch out using some of the stencil kits or you will get a cookie cutter effect down the side of your boat that doesn't look natural.
Okie Ducker
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds