conduit fittings

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

conduit fittings

Postby derbyfreak » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:27 pm

can anyone tell me what the black fittings are called and can I get them at menards or a fleet and farm
derbyfreak
hunter

Re: conduit fittings

Postby tod0987 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:03 pm

That blind frame appears to be made from 3/4" EMT with 7/8" bimini fittings. What you need to do is find 7/8" bimini top fittings. You will find them at marine stores like overtons.com westmarine.com or jamestowndistributors.com.

They will not fit exactly on the 3/4" EMT, use a heat gun to soften them up and the will stretch over or you can spend all afternoon sanding them. The heat gun method is the easiest. You might get a hairdrier to do it too. Do not let the plastic bubble just warm it through and it will stretch over the EMT.
tod0987
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:57 pm

While a heat gun will work, a dremmel works much faster. also check out wholesalemarine.com. by far the cheapest bimini I found.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby 4riverman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:21 pm

Start here, this is where we get all of ours, great people, will answer any questions you have and will take care of you . Tell them I sent you. I am pretty sure they have both sizes.
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1876
:welcome:
Four Rivers Layout Boats
Odessa, MO
http://www.fourriverslayoutboats.com
email: sales@fourriverslayoutboats.com
Phone: 816-694-4955
4riverman
DHC Sponsor

Postby mdycrk » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:30 am

Heat gun works great! Did two blinds like this last week and they turned out great.
mdycrk
hunter

Postby gr8white » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:53 am

I used a torch to get my emt hot, then slid it into the Bimini fittings.
gr8white
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:27 am

Screw using the heat gun or torch! I tried both. One burnt balm later the boat blind frame is completed over the weekend. I know it was only me but I couldn't get the bimini fittings on the 3/4" using this method. I went to the hardware store and purchased a 15/16" drill bit. I placed the bimini pieces into a vise. Drilling only took minutes and after that the project flew. Broke two total, but still useable.

I did 13' 6" runs for the length and placed the coupler in the center of each. Using 1/2" inside the 3/4" is a must.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:35 am

The old football preseason mouth guard process.

Set my Bimini hardware in just barely rolling boiling water suspended by a wood skewer for the grill. Left them hanging for a minute or two until I felt they where pliable enough and then forced them on to the end of my EMT. If they wouldn't go, I'd let em hang longer. No drilling or burning myself with a heat gun. Used an oven mit to grab the Bimini hardware while hot and a wire brush to smooth the edges of the EMT to help it slide in. A small hammer and gentle persuasion helped a bit.
Dog Tired
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds