Duck Hunting Forum banner

Lake Bonneville Layout Boats

36K views 164 replies 26 participants last post by  Slack Tide 
#1 ·
If you are considering buying a Lake Bonneville Layout Boat then you must read this!

I am not a guide but I am an avid duck hunter and I mainly hunt the coast of Texas. I have always been intrigued with the idea of hunting out of a layout boat on the bay. So i did some research and decided that the Lake Bonneville Layout Boats would be the best fit for me at this point. This is the current situation that i am in right now...

I went on their website and i dialed 385-228-2476 and spoke with Kelly who is running the business. He is a charismatic guy who loves to duck hunt and i explained what i was looking to do. He explained how they allow their customers to order boats with a 50% down to order the boat and then the other 50% is due when the boat is shipped out.

On 8/12/2013 my credit card was billed for the $855.00 for the 50% down, I was told originally that i would receive the boat on 8/22/2013. Today is 8/27 and i have been making several attempts to contact Kelly or whoever is involved with Lake Bonneville Layout Boats. I have emailed everyone, facebooked everyone, called everyone, texted everyone... as of today no one has responded to any of my attempts. Believe me when i say that i am a patient person, if there is an issue of manufacturing or whatever, i would be understanding. But the issue at hand is that they have my money, the boat has not arrived as agreed upon and no one in that company is calling back about this matter.

Let this be a test of what their customer service is like. This is how i decided to post on this reputable forum and to report 100% of how the rest of this scenario plays out. I will be 100% honest, if they contact me later today, explain the situation, and the boat arrives before the start of duck season ( sep 14 teal opener) I will have no issues with them. But at this point the ball is their court and i truly hope that this ends up being a positive report on their customer service.

I WILL report the outcome of all of this.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ironically the second that I posted this Kelly called me and explained that they are replacing the splash guards ( because the ones one there already were not very good) on my boat. This will take 2-3 days to be completed and they will ship it out this friday 8/30/2013. Like i mentioned earlier I am a very patient man, I would consider this a good testament of their customer service.

What really matters in evaluating a companies customer service is not when everything is going as it should. It's when the ball is dropped in a transaction with a customer, that is when their true colors shine through.

I WILL continue this report until I have received my boat, If anyone is interested I may continue this report as a testament of what I think of their boat after I hunt in it a few times.

#3 ·
Anything that is not off the shelf I'd expect to take longer than promised. Sort of like going to the taxidermist and when they say 6 months expecting it to be 6 months to the day. Never is.

No doubt when someone promises a date they should meet it, but for something like this I don't think an internet call out is in order after just a few days. I don't know Kelly, but I've spoken with Tony quite a few times and I have never found him to be anything but up front. I'm sure you will enjoy the boat once it arrives.

#4 ·
Maxson I agree with you for the most part in regards to the timing of everything. But I did have my dad waiting at the duck camp for 2 days while I unsuccessfully made several attempts of contacting anyone at Lake Bonneville Layout Boats. You must understand how frustrating that can be.

This is not meant to be a smear campaign but rather a report of my experience. At this point everything is good, I have been contacted, updated on the status of the boat and fully expect a phone call on Friday about my boat being shipped out. But in regards to an "internet call out" being unnecessary, you tell me Maxson? I did not receive a single email, call, text, smoke signal, etc... until I posted on this forum. What was I supposed to do?

#5 ·
TX-Carl said:
Maxson I agree with you for the most part in regards to the timing of everything. But I did have my dad waiting at the duck camp for 2 days while I unsuccessfully made several attempts of contacting anyone at Lake Bonneville Layout Boats. You must understand how frustrating that can be.

This is not meant to be a smear campaign but rather a report of my experience. At this point everything is good, I have been contacted, updated on the status of the boat and fully expect a phone call on Friday about my boat being shipped out. But in regards to an "internet call out" being unnecessary, you tell me Maxson? I did not receive a single email, call, text, smoke signal, etc... until I posted on this forum. What was I supposed to do?
I guess because I have dealt with Tony before it's easier for me to now be worried. I guess if I was in your shoes I might be worried. I've always just worried about the boat arriving before duck season and not really on a specific date.

#7 ·
Today is 9/10 and I was originally supposed to have received my boat on 8/22 and then I was told that I would receive the boat on 8/30. This is complete nonsense... they still keep telling me the same BS that have have always said. " it will ship out later this week". At this point I will consider myself lucky if I even get the boat or at least a refund on my original 50% down.

I would never buy a boat from these people, This whole experience has been terrible I wish I had bought from someone else that doesn't ignore calls, over promises and under-delivers.

I will keep you'll posted of what the outcome is from all of this.

#8 ·
TX-Carl said:
Today is 9/10 and I was originally supposed to have received my boat on 8/22 and then I was told that I would receive the boat on 8/30. This is complete nonsense... they still keep telling me the same BS that have have always said. " it will ship out later this week". At this point I will consider myself lucky if I even get the boat or at least a refund on my original 50% down.

I would never buy a boat from these people, This whole experience has been terrible I wish I had bought from someone else that doesn't ignore calls, over promises and under-delivers.

I will keep you'll posted of what the outcome is from all of this.
Had something similar to this happen. I called my credit card company and filed a dispute. Got my money back. Your other option is to go to them personally and get it back. Good luck.

#9 ·
Sorry to hear about all the headaches. Just a couple years ago I ordered 2 layouts from Bankes and had every single email and call returned by Mike himself. When it came time for delivery he made the trip himself, along with his family, to my location on the exact day and time as planned. With this large network of hunters all exchanging their views, it sure doesn't do them any good to provide poor service. If I decide to go with one of the big water rigs like the Titan, Bankes will get my first call. Maybe he can help you get a layout before your season starts. Best of Luck.

#11 ·
Call Tony Smith or look him up on the refuge site in the utah forum, he goes by "diverfreak" over there. He's the owner of Lake Bonneville Layout Boats, I'd bet he would not like getting the negative attention that he's getting here.

#12 ·
duckslayer74 said:
Call Tony Smith or look him up on the refuge site in the utah forum, he goes by "diverfreak" over there. He's the owner of Lake Bonneville Layout Boats, I'd bet he would not like getting the negative attention that he's getting here.
Forget that, the man needs to run a company with customer service and get off the Fudge Chat if he can't service customers that he has!!

Presume this whole terrible story is true, this lack of customer service is priceless ....just communicate to the guy, how hard can it be !!

#13 ·
Weedwacker said:
duckslayer74 said:
Forget that, the man needs to run a company with customer service and get off the Fudge Chat if he can't service customers that he has!!

Presume this whole terrible story is true, this lack of customer service is priceless ....just communicate to the guy, how hard can it be !!
I'm not sticking up for the guy, I'd be furious too. I'm just trying to give the OP another place to look for an answer.

#14 ·
I saw this thread and felt I had to share my experience. I am now the proud owner of a new Big Brother Lake Bonneville Layout boat. I picked it up on Friday. This boat is unreal, the quality and workmanship are awesome. My boat took a little longer to be ready as well, but Kelly was upfront about that, and emphatic that he did not want me to have my new boat with the old spray shield. In all fairness, Kelly is a great guy and always got back to me by phone. He is busy. When I went to the shop to get my boat, they showed me the old spray shield design, and the new one. The new one has taken a lot of time and work to perfect, but it is super well designed and constructed! It attaches in to a channel around the cockpit. I would rather wait a little longer and get the new design, it is bullet proof and I will be putting my kid in the boat so I appreciate the seaworthiness of this whole package. I also went with the magnet package to attach decoys, this is great to make the boat disappear! We also ordered the camo cover, and I am really pleased with it as well. I have also bought a scull boat from Michael Bankes, and he was great to deal with too. Just my opinion, but LBLB makes the best layout boats in the market, and they are working through the issues with suppliers and new sprayshield design. Hope you guys enjoy your new boat as much as we do!

#15 ·
blackrock said:
I saw this thread and felt I had to share my experience. I am now the proud owner of a new Big Brother Lake Bonneville Layout boat. I picked it up on Friday. This boat is unreal, the quality and workmanship are awesome. My boat took a little longer to be ready as well, but Kelly was upfront about that, and emphatic that he did not want me to have my new boat with the old spray shield. In all fairness, Kelly is a great guy and always got back to me by phone. He is busy. When I went to the shop to get my boat, they showed me the old spray shield design, and the new one. The new one has taken a lot of time and work to perfect, but it is super well designed and constructed! It attaches in to a channel around the cockpit. I would rather wait a little longer and get the new design, it is bullet proof and I will be putting my kid in the boat so I appreciate the seaworthiness of this whole package. I also went with the magnet package to attach decoys, this is great to make the boat disappear! We also ordered the camo cover, and I am really pleased with it as well. I have also bought a scull boat from Michael Bankes, and he was great to deal with too. Just my opinion, but LBLB makes the best layout boats in the market, and they are working through the issues with suppliers and new sprayshield design. Hope you guys enjoy your new boat as much as we do!
Spammer you have no credibility.. F off..

#16 ·
Threedogs you can f---off! What kind of credibility do you have you rude Internet douchebag? Who the hell are you to post on here bashing me? You don't know me. I am not a spammer, guide or pro staffer. I have no affiliation with this company or any other. I never met anyone from LBLB until Friday when I picked up a boat I ordered from them. I'm just an avid water fowler who is looking to expand our options to open water hunting. The only reason I came on this forum is to look for information about setting up long lines so my son can target divers. I had a good experience ordering this boat, and I'm very happy with how it turned out, so I wanted to let others know they make a great boat. There no excuse for lack of communication in business I agree. I hope TX gets his boat soon and has a great season with it!

#17 ·
blackrock said:
Threedogs you can f---off! What kind of credibility do you have you rude Internet douchebag? Who the hell are you to post on here bashing me? You don't know me. I am not a spammer, guide or pro staffer. I have no affiliation with this company or any other. I never met anyone from LBLB until Friday when I picked up a boat I ordered from them. I'm just an avid water fowler who is looking to expand our options to open water hunting. The only reason I came on this forum is to look for information about setting up long lines so my son can target divers. I had a good experience ordering this boat, and I'm very happy with how it turned out, so I wanted to let others know they make a great boat. There no excuse for lack of communication in business I agree. I hope TX gets his boat soon and has a great season with it!
Well Mr. Douchebag, if you had more than 1 post when you posted that warm and suck ass post maybe I wouldn't have responded. Whether you are a guide or not doesn't give you any credibility, actually might hurt you some...If you're not a spammer or a suck ass for that company maybe I'll think about forgiving you.

#18 ·
blackrock said:
Any pictures of this boat, the spray shield and that decoy holder thing sound interesting ?

#20 ·
Three dogs, I could care less about your "forgiveness". I'm going to try to take the high road here even though I'm still pissed. I'm not sure what makes you more qualified to comment here, as it doesn't appear you have bought a boat from these guys or Bankes. I don't want to get in a pissing match with anyone, I prefer to spend my time in the field with my kids. Have a good day sir!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.