Lake Bonneville Layout Boats

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: Lake Bonneville Layout Boats

Postby blackrock » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:32 pm

image.jpg
Before Lake Bonneville.........
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:34 pm

image.jpg
After Lake Bonneville. Need I say more?
blackrock
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:58 pm

blackrock wrote:
image.jpg
After Lake Bonneville. Need I say more?

Must be a miracle boat, you got younger!!
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:26 pm

Threedogs, funny it feels like this is aging me! Are you still thinking about coming north buddy?
blackrock
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:50 pm

the wait and recent events of people getting charged in full for a boat they don't have makes me skeptical, but dang those pictures make me want one. I know of many of places that once season gets under way birds move to open water and I have always thought a layout would work wonders.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Handy, that's exactly why I got one. Around here the birds get tired of being pressured on the rivers and creeks. They raft up out on open water, and all the other flocks join them. That makes them untouchable except the occasional super stormy day when you can shoot them from the bank. They just don't expect danger out in the open! As far as Lake Bonneville goes, I have gotten to know Kelly Pope since I bought my boat. He's a stand up guy. Kelly is not about ripping anyone off. There has been a lot of BS said on here, and he has had some difficulty getting boats out in a timely fashion. I feel for the guys that have had to wait! The redesign of the spray shield turned out to be a huge deal, and KP wishes he had not even tried to market boats this year, just perfect the changes for next year. That being said, the new spray shield is outstanding, as is the whole boat. Kelly is determined to provide the best layout boats made, and is succeeding. He spends all his time getting boats out. Production will be ramping up and I think the long waits will be a thing of the past. I expect great things from Lake Bonneville and I couldn't be more delighted with our boat. It's low profile, deadly on birds, safe, strong and comfortable. I'm going to buy another!
blackrock
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:47 am

That's awesome you are working over the puddle ducks with yours! I have only been able to puddle duck hunt with them opening weekend due to excessive amounts of wind this year. I do think it will pick up as now the marshes around me are froze, the birds are now rafting in open water.....that means its time to play ball!!!!! :grooving:

We got out 2 weeks ago when the wind lightened up a bit and crushed the bills. We had layout rigs on both sides of us. One guy had a banks and set 1/4 mile or so from me. The birds would literally pick him out with ease around the 70-80 yard mark. We were able to land a flock of a 1000 bills, we had bills within feet of the boats not even caring. Way to many to shoot into, so we let them swim out. But it was by far the coolest thing I have ever witnessed layout hunting. They literally sounded like fighter jets cutting over the boats. If I wasn't so over welmed with the show I should have gotten a video.

I notice that these boats really disappear at any type of distance. I can really tell a difference in the way the birds act in high pressured areas. The other two rigs had a very hard time pulling birds. When they did it was often singles. We literally pulled flock after flock averaging around 30 I'd say. Some could argue that it was the spot, bit every time I float them the birds respond the same regardless of where I am.

Think of it like this: if your going to be filed hunting in a soy bean field are you going to hunt in a 14" tall layout or are you going to dig in the shortest blind you have? That's really what your doing when you buy a bonnie due to its short height it really just disappears in the spread.
Last edited by Nelliboy2 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby blackrock » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:00 am

image.jpg
Nelliboy that is awesome! I would have loved to have been laying there to see that, I wouldn't even care if I had a gun! Your experience really drives home the point that the profile of these boats is key to their success, divers or puddlers. There are some guys on here that still doubt the effectiveness of these babies on puddlers, but the photos don't lie, it's not like we're photoshopping them! I wish we had more divers, as that's what my son really wants to target. We will have to travel I guess. I'm going to start bringing a video camera in the boat, I'm tired of cleaning ducks.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:14 am

blackrock wrote:
image.jpg
Nelliboy that is awesome! I would have loved to have been laying there to see that, I wouldn't even care if I had a gun! Your experience really drives home the point that the profile of these boats is key to their success, divers or puddlers. There are some guys on here that still doubt the effectiveness of these babies on puddlers, but the photos don't lie, it's not like we're photoshopping them! I wish we had more divers, as that's what my son really wants to target. We will have to travel I guess. I'm going to start bringing a video camera in the boat, I'm tired of cleaning ducks.......

That's a great problem to have! You guys must be thick with park ducks lol. I do think that profile is key in a layout, frankly I think people need to just experience a hunt in a low profile rig to really see the importantance
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:55 pm

blackrock wrote:
image.jpg

damn you can't argue with results like that this is making me want to put some deeks on a net or some long lines and buy one I could set a long ways from the bank at a local lake or the ohio river with one. That is a ton of canadians whats your limit up there?
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby blackrock » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:24 pm

handy I think you would have huge success, especially if no one else has one! Limit on geese is four, 15 are on the front of that jet boat, 4 guys hunting that day. We lost one or would have had 16!
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:01 pm

image.jpg
Today my hunting buddy got his first triple on geese! Five honkers came right in, locked up in to the spread. Only two left. Then, a few minutes later, two came in and one left. I came in to pick them up and two were banded, his first banded Canada's. What a day in the Bonne!
blackrock
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:06 pm

We also had a good hunt today. Lots of ice but a few wanted to play!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby blackrock » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:28 pm

Way to go nelliboy! Looks like you had a great day and scored on nice puddle ducks too!
blackrock
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:11 pm

Yes sir! its a amazing what ice in the marshes can do for you! Lol. We would have done a lot better if we had mallards out, we set up for a GoldenEye shoot. They were a nice surprise.

I can't get over your boy getting two bands! I hope he knows how lucky he is......and how jealous I am! :lol3: :clapping:
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby blackrock » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:37 pm

image.jpg
Then he shoots a banded Mallard today!
blackrock
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:27 am

I'd be buying a lottery ticket with that kind of luck on my side! Based on what i saw in the back ground you worked them over pretty good, Congrats! :clapping: :beer:
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:41 am

man your pictures are not going to help my wallet has me seriously thinking about getting one. Those look like some aweome hunts I only wish we got that many birds in indiana :lol3:

handyandy
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:24 pm

handyandy wrote:man your pictures are not going to help my wallet has me seriously thinking about getting one. Those look like some aweome hunts I only wish we got that many birds in indiana :lol3:

I'd rather work a group of a 100 birds and be where they want to sit VS working a 1000 birds and not being where they want to be. Layouts only open up more chances for you to be on the X. :thumbsup:
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Bad Dog » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:13 am

I'm new to the site and might be going out on a limb posting in this thread. Hopefully Threedogs cuts me some slack. I added a Big Brother to my spread a couple season's ago. My other layout is the regular MLB. I typically run both rigs when I hunt on Lake St. Clair. I was literally out growing the MLB and wanted a more comfortable layout. My main criticism of the LBBB is the splash guard, so I was really interested to see Kelly's modifications. I definitely stay drier in the MLB when the lake kicks up. Any wind over 10 MPH and I end up with water in the LBBB. Some water leaks where the guard fastens to the boat, and some just comes over the top. There is a trade-off between staying dry and and maintaining a low profile. I plan on contacting Kelly to see if he has a retrofit available. If I can't get something by next summer, I'll take a crack at fabricating a replacement myself.
Bad Dog
hunter

Postby blackrock » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:22 am

Bad dog glad to hear you like your Big Brother, we've been really impressed with ours. The new spray shield design is a huge improvement over the old design. See the close up pic on page 1 above. Kelly came up with a piece that has a channel or groove mounted around the edge of the cockpit. The sprayshield has a thick seam or welt that slides and locks in to this channel all the way around. This makes it replaceable if it gets worn, or you just want clear vs gray. I get a few drops in in two places, but Kelly recommends a small bead of silicone around it if you are not going to be changing colors back and forth. There is definitely going to be a retrofit kit, may be available now. Measure your cockpit all the way around and call Kelly. As for waves going over, we don't hunt in gale force winds, but we have the full height sprayshield and we haven't had any waves come close to breaching the shield. We can also run it lower, like half height by repositioning the "kickstand" in the back lower, for lower profile. Good luck and enjoy the rest of the season!
blackrock
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:49 am

blackrock wrote:Bad dog glad to hear you like your Big Brother, we've been really impressed with ours. The new spray shield design is a huge improvement over the old design. See the close up pic on page 1 above. Kelly came up with a piece that has a channel or groove mounted around the edge of the cockpit. The sprayshield has a thick seam or welt that slides and locks in to this channel all the way around. This makes it replaceable if it gets worn, or you just want clear vs gray. I get a few drops in in two places, but Kelly recommends a small bead of silicone around it if you are not going to be changing colors back and forth. There is definitely going to be a retrofit kit, may be available now. Measure your cockpit all the way around and call Kelly. As for waves going over, we don't hunt in gale force winds, but we have the full height sprayshield and we haven't had any waves come close to breaching the shield. We can also run it lower, like half height by repositioning the "kickstand" in the back lower, for lower profile. Good luck and enjoy the rest of the season!

I love the new spray shield minus one thing. I didn't even think to check and make sure it was sealed (my fault I told him I would be changing from clear to grey depending on the hunt) Water poured into the boat. I went around the base of it where the spray shield meets the boat and applied silicone. I still had a some water dripping in (a couple drips per wave). I went and decided to run another silicone ring around the black fabric on the outside of the boat (did that on Sunday so I haven't been able to test it yet). That's the only spot where I could see water coming in at. Once I get it sealed I think it will be lights out. I have had my boats in 2-3' waves with the new spray shield and have yet to have one crack over the curtain, I did have it leaking in though before I sealed it.

I was thinking about maybe having a rubber insert fashioned up to seal the spray curtain from the outside, something that I could take one and off so that I could change the spray guards on the fly without having to mess with silicone. Maybe making it so that it looked like a T and the lower part inserts into the creves between the curtain and the boat. Might be worth kicking around.

The only other mod I was thinking about adding would be a ring around the boat where it meets the water, Hopefully out of rubber so that it would protect the layout from banging on the tender when your switching in and out. I think I may have two summer projects on my hands. lol
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:04 am

I just wanted to show you guys the profile of this boat.

Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:04 pm

image.jpg
So my hunting buddy had the day he has dreamed of in the Lake Bonneville! The divers are here and this boat lets us hunt right out where they live. Ice, fog, coldness, intense hunting conditions. Perfect Canvasback drake, nice Redhead and Scaup too. They all came right in, so did the geese. We put out 2 dozen goose decoys and 2 dozen Cans on long lines. If you are looking to up your bird count, and decrease the amount of time you spend watching birds fly out of reach, here's your answer. It also really takes most of the competition out of hunting, we are usually alone out there. Thanks again KP!!!!!!!!!
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:09 am

image.jpg
Buddy shot two of these Pintails out of the layout boat!
blackrock
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds